• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    So im looking to get a .380 or 9mm for a bedside buddy. What would be a good gun in your opinion? Im looking at a taurus Tcp or ruger lcp or a taurus 709 9mm. Or if you have something that i might be interested in send me a pm.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Does it have to be smallish like those mentioned? If not...

If you want to save money, get something dependable and accurate and new 9mm...how about Ruger P95?

Jul 20, 2009
    Dude dont get a crap cal 380. Go 9mm if that is your only 2 choices. I would rather have a 12g instead either that or a 45.

amonch

Feb 2, 2010
    Howard County
    I would get a full size and would go with the 9mm because its readily available and less expensive that .308. I have a Glock 17 and a CZ 75 both good guns.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    a 9mm is more versitile....you can get a 9mm carbine later as well. I don't own .380's but i'll own 9mm Mak b/c its a better round

What is your price range?
    Do you like Poly or alloy?
    New or used guns?

the good thing about a semi auto is you can keep the 2 seperate (since you have kids) and you can arm yourself quickly.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I dont want to go over 350.00. Well my wife dosent want me to go over that.:sad20:

There was a S&W 9mm Simga in the classifieds. Many here don't like the gun due to the heavey trigger. I however like it allot for a bedside gun due to the heavey trigger. You will never pull it accidently in the heat of the moment. Other than the trigger they are fine guns and you can find them for your price range, even new.
    Another you may look at is the Stoeger Cougar. Baretta 92 copy

JnstemIII

Feb 23, 2011
    Oldtown, MD
    There was a S&W 9mm Simga in the classifieds. Many here don't like the gun due to the heavey trigger. I however like it allot for a bedside gun due to the heavey trigger. You will never pull it accidently in the heat of the moment. Other than the trigger they are fine guns and you can find them for your price range, even new.
    Another you may look at is the Stoeger Cougar. Baretta 92 copy

Was going to but someone beat me to it.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Pretty sure Ruger P95 can be had for $350 or less.

Full sized, 9mm, new, lifetime warranty, good capacity. Just sayin.

w2kbr

MSI EM, NRA LM, SAF, AAFG
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 13, 2009
    Severn 21144
    Not to be a turd but $350 doesn't leave alot of options for a Home Defense Firearm. you want something thats reliable, good reputation, comfortable for both you and your wife and good capacity.

just a thought

Yea, and not to mention the FFL and paperwork fees.......assume you will be going that way?

R

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Forget .380. That's a niche caliber, not for a bedside gun (very compact or for recoil-sensative invalids.). 9mm is good in an auto.

Go Full size like a Glock 17, or compact like a Glock 19, but I would not choose the sub-compact Glock 26 for a bedside gun.

Ruger has some good 9mms at attractive prices. Stick with quality brands, like Glock, Ruger, S&W, SIG, Springfield,CZ,FN, etc.

Stay away from Taurus. They have a bad reputation.

You can get some great deals on used guns. Check the classifieds here.

A revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum (which can also use .38 Special ammo) makes a great bedside gun. You can get a good deal on police trade ins, too. Again, stay away from Taurus. Go for S&W or Ruger.

As for safety around kids- Get a Gun Vault. This basic model is all you need:
    http://www.gunsafes.com/GunVault-Mini-Standard-GV1000C-STD.html I realize it's another $100, but get one as soon as you can. Until then, you can discipline yourself to keep it locked with a cable lock whenever you are not in the room with it. Unlock it when you go to bed, and lock it when you get up. Keep the keys with you at all times (even in the shower), and get a Gun Vault as soon as you can.

Get some training. Get some basic training to start, then go back for more training. Practice. Learn. Enjoy the sport.

And go ahead and let yourself become addicted to MarylandShooters.com. Lots of information, camaraderie, and support here.

methlab

Mar 18, 2011
    Northern Harford County
    Forget .380. That's a niche caliber, not for a bedside gun (very compact or for recoil-sensative invalids.). 9mm is good in an auto.

Go Full size like a Glock 17, or compact like a Glock 19, but I would not choose the sub-compact Glock 26 for a bedside gun.

Ruger has some good 9mms at attractive prices. Stick with quality brands, like Glock, Ruger, S&W, SIG, Springfield,CZ,FN, etc.

Stay away from Taurus. They have a bad reputation.

You can get some great deals on used guns. Check the classifieds here.

A revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum (which can also use .38 Special ammo) makes a great bedside gun. You can get a good deal on police trade ins, too. Again, stay away from Taurus. Go for S&W or Ruger.

As for safety around kids- Get a Gun Vault. This basic model is all you need:
    http://www.gunsafes.com/GunVault-Mini-Standard-GV1000C-STD.html I realize it's another $100, but get one as soon as you can. Until then, you can discipline yourself to keep it locked with a cable lock whenever you are not in the room with it. Unlock it when you go to bed, and lock it when you get up. Keep the keys with you at all times (even in the shower), and get a Gun Vault as soon as you can.

Get some training. Get some basic training to start, then go back for more training. Practice. Learn. Enjoy the sport.

And go ahead and let yourself become addicted to MarylandShooters.com. Lots of information, camaraderie, and support here.

great advice. just one question. Where do you keep the key while in the shower? I can only think of one place......... under the shampoo bottle.:lol2:

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    Pretty sure Ruger P95 can be had for $350 or less.

Full sized, 9mm, new, lifetime warranty, good capacity. Just sayin.

I got one from Bud's online and paid $352 total, including transfer fees and everything. Not the prettiest gun but it is one of my favorites, especially considering the price.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    If you have to have a handgun, and a caliber under .45, you might want to think about a CZ82. The 9x18mak is not a bad round, and silver bear hollowpoints work very well in mine. For HD I'd recommend a 12ga but you can get a CZ82 for ~200.00 and 500 rounds of ammo would still keep you under 350 total...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom