• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I have a stripped lower.

If I were to build it with a buffer tube only (no stock) and attach a 8" upper, is it an AR pistol or an SBR that would need a stamp?

I'm leery of the legality since although I'd keep it in pistol configuration, the receiver isn't purchased as a pistol.

Has anyone seen an official ATF letter on this?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pistol.

SBR is shorter than 16" barrel AND a butt stock.

Lower needed to be transfered as Other, or Pistol, NOT as Rifle.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    So basically I have to make sure the lower wasn't classified as a rifle when purchased?

I remember my FFL told me it can't be listed as a pistol, but I think he said it was listed as other.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I have a stripped lower.

If I were to build it with a buffer tube only (no stock) and attach a 8" upper, is it an AR pistol or an SBR that would need a stamp?

I'm leery of the legality since although I'd keep it in pistol configuration, the receiver isn't purchased as a pistol.

Has anyone seen an official ATF letter on this?

If you just purchased this lower, it by all accounts, should have been transferred as "other", not rifle, not pistol. If that is the case, your proposed build will be a legal pistol. No HQL required.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    So basically I have to make sure the lower wasn't classified as a rifle when purchased?

I remember my FFL told me it can't be listed as a pistol, but I think he said it was listed as other.
    Correct.. and if you start it out as a pistol, it can be converted back and forth between rifle and pistol, but if you build it as a rifle, it cannot later become a pistol (against the law).

Many of us use pistol specific buffer tubes for pistol builds, to eliminate the issue with a standard carbine buffer tube that 'could' be fitted with a stock, as many of us also own AR carbines with removable stocks.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    With Maryland's "new" minimum 29" OAL law, I don't see a point in SBR'ing anything in this state anymore.
    I will only get tax stamps for suppressors until I'm living in America again.

You can always shorten them when you free yourself from this hell-whole.

Meanwhile, my 9mm will stay a pistol til I get sprung.

Rob R.

Oct 29, 2016
    Harford Co
    With Maryland's "new" minimum 29" OAL law, I don't see a point in SBR'ing anything in this state anymore.
    I will only get tax stamps for suppressors until I'm living in America again.

This!!

With the open letter from the ATF about shouldering braces it makes a pistol seem way more appealing now.
    I would hate to have to ask the ATF's permission everytime I cross state lines because I wanted a little rubber pad on a stock

yakfish

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 27, 2017
    I'm building EVERY current and future stripped lower as a pistol first, including photo documentation of it. Might even look into marking them as pistols, too.

No reason not to. Far more versatility with a pistol. No minimum length requirements, no HBAR nonsense, and can change configuration from a pistol to a rifle and back again (thanks to established precedent with those carbine kits for Glocks and 1911's, and the original T/C ruling).

There is no downside to building as a pistol except it eliminates FTF private sales. But I don't sell off guns, so that isn't a concern. Others might take issue with it.

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    working on a building a 2nd upper for my pistol lower that will make it "firearm" with OAL being more than 26 inches which allows a foregrip to be attached. i really dont see the point of doing a form 4 when these new 'cheek braces' are just as good as a regular stock

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm building EVERY current and future stripped lower as a pistol first, including photo documentation of it. Might even look into marking them as pistols, too.

No reason not to. Far more versatility with a pistol. No minimum length requirements, no HBAR nonsense, and can change configuration from a pistol to a rifle and back again (thanks to established precedent with those carbine kits for Glocks and 1911's, and the original T/C ruling).

There is no downside to building as a pistol except it eliminates FTF private sales. But I don't sell off guns, so that isn't a concern. Others might take issue with it.

I have been preaching this for a while. :thumbsup:

Sharpeneddark

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    Westminster

Just an FYI: The HBar requirement is thrown out for anything other than 16"+ AR-15s chambered in 5.56/.223. Change that barrel to a 16" .300 BLK? Can be normal M4 profile. .308 AR-10s? Cash/carry with normal profile. SBR 5.56/.223? Any profile you want, so long as it is 10.5"-15.9" long. Because the law specifies AR-15 rifles, not AR-15 pistols and MD considers SBRs to be pistols.

The FSA is so f'ing stupid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom