• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Build an AR. Make it the way you want it within the Marylandistan restrictions!

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    LWRC DI, support the local guys, they are an IP on this forum, and that rifle is actually pretty awesome. I see you can pick them up now for just over $1k. I’ve changed all the furniture, 2 fore-end rails, and all the iron sights on the 5 other AR’s I bought, but have touched nothing on my LWRC DI. I love it the way it is, FYI.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Its a phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range BTW. :cool:

Ok so, everyone says AR15... which AR15? I CAN spend up to 2000 but I'd prefer not. I was told Ruger and Colt Expanse HB are a good legal mid range?

Don't buy one. Build one with the parts you want, from the get go. If you buy one off the shelf, you will wind up replacing quite a few things on it, just to get it to where you want it to be. It is cheaper on the long run to build one, so you get exactly what you want. I have a parts list that will run <900 that will give you a 16" barrel, and free floated.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    What's mid priced to you ?

At current pricing , the best rifle for just over $1000 would be the LWRC DI .

At actual middle price range :

Colt 6721 is iconic , and defines the breed . Starting to get scarcer after Colt recently discontinued them .

Of the non-Colts , the Windham HBC is frequently recomended , and somewhat of a benchmark.

JTC3400

Nov 14, 2017
    Thanks for all the replies... no I am not some Liberal MD lawmaker asking for nice guns so I could ban them. If I ran things, the gun stores here would look like the gun store in the start of Robocop 2..... and that would be a small lightly stocked store.

I know computers, I always tell people to build their own computer, but until I know my stuff, I'm not sure I am ready to build a rifle. I can spout off stats of many guns but I have not shot enough to build my own. Worst case scenario, I buy one, get familiar, learn what I like and don't like, sell that rifle and build a custom one. I earn enough that I can "waste" 1k on a rifle I end up not loving. I can afford a $2,000 Daniel Defense or ADM UIC MOD 2, my question is, is it worth it? Does a DDM V11 Pro justify 800-1000 over a "mid range" AR-15 LIKE A Colt 6721 or a Ruger?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Since I'm old school , I'd tell you a Colt 6721 with iron sights and GI furniture can handle anything an AR would reasonably be expected to do.

But I am now in the minority , and most buyers now want the sexy modular rail system of the week to hang their bling .

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    LWRC DI, support the local guys, they are an IP on this forum, and that rifle is actually pretty awesome. I see you can pick them up now for just over $1k. I’ve changed all the furniture, 2 fore-end rails, and all the iron sights on the 5 other AR’s I bought, but have touched nothing on my LWRC DI. I love it the way it is, FYI.

I'm with you on this one. LWRC got it right with the IC DI. Ambi controls are nice, it's so much easier to hold the bolt open without having to change your grip. I removed the two side panels left the hand stop and bottom panel, added a 1-6X, and it's good to go. I may change the grip to a Hogue though, I'm not a huge fan of the Magpul grips. I also added a JP reduced power springs and dropped 3lbs off the pull. It's a nice 4.5-5lb pull now with no grittiness.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Thanks for all the replies... no I am not some Liberal MD lawmaker asking for nice guns so I could ban them. If I ran things, the gun stores here would look like the gun store in the start of Robocop 2..... and that would be a small lightly stocked store.

I know computers, I always tell people to build their own computer, but until I know my stuff, I'm not sure I am ready to build a rifle. I can spout off stats of many guns but I have not shot enough to build my own. Worst case scenario, I buy one, get familiar, learn what I like and don't like, sell that rifle and build a custom one. I earn enough that I can "waste" 1k on a rifle I end up not loving. I can afford a $2,000 Daniel Defense or ADM UIC MOD 2, my question is, is it worth it? Does a DDM V11 Pro justify 800-1000 over a "mid range" AR-15 LIKE A Colt 6721 or a Ruger?

Much comes down to modern tech/shooting style vs the original 80's M4 design. The current prefference is to place the support hand out front twards the muzzle, gripping the handguard with the thumb over the top of it, this gives a lot of stability for shooting far, and control when moving target to target. This basically requires a long handguard, the short m4 handguard was designed for a more tucked stance with less control, but a bit better ability to use cover or minimize exposure to incoming fire. With a 12+" handguard you can do either, with a standard short M4 guard you are limited. Iron sights are simple and reliable, but modern premium optics have proven themselves reliable, some may prefer the older designs where they co-witness with irons, basically utilizing optics as a backup to irons, but most prefer to run optics without a front sight blocking the sight picture, so low-pro gas blocks under the handguards have gained popularity, you can still use fixed or flip-up sights mounted to the rail, at some risk for them getting knocked off center if the rail takes a serious impact, and gets bent.

Continuous 4 rail handguards have fallen out of favor for much lighter and sleeker M-lok or Keymod modular designs. There are tweaks to the design, and some small, but critical things like how the gas key and castle nut are staked/secured that can prevent a failure down the road, better finishes, better barrel dimentions, and better furniture. You also have ambi controls and factory installed options like improved triggers, stocks and grips. Even if you are not a lefty, some ambi controls are really useful, dropping the bolt with your index finger is easier and quicker than reaching up with your left hand, pulling a right-side safety lever back with your index finger to place the selector on safe is easier than breaking your grip, and hooking the left-side selector with your thumb. There are unique billet machined recievers in different colors and calibers too if you want something a bit more unique than mil-spec. Of course the more a rifle comes with factory, the more it costs. Being the design is inherently modular, you can either build a good, but less expensive rife, or spend more up front to have a production rifle the way you want it, the ultimate in choices it to build one yourself, or at least have someone built it for you to your specs.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

The Colt is considered the standard, however the Ruger 556 will serve you equally as well. If you want more money left over, the Ruger has an awesome price point. If you want the "best" get the Colt and you will be fine there as well.

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    SKS! Fun to shoot, cheap to buy, cheap ammo, reliable, almost indestructible, buy more. There are like new Yugo SKS rifles available in almost new condition for about $400+. If you have a C&R FFL, it can be shipped to your front door.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom