• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    We had a guy at Quantico who shot a J-Frame snubby and never practiced reloading on the clock with speedloaders. He ended up pulling rounds from his pockets as that was faster than the crazy he was doing. I don't know, I wouldn't take a stock Volkswagen Vanagon to a drag race.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    SC power floor is 125 for all except single stack which has a power floor is 165. Additionally, practical holsters and mag holders are used instead of speed rigs. This was in effect 1.5 years ago but haven’t read the class rules lately.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Additionally, practical holsters and mag holders are used instead of speed rigs.

not aware that Open and Limited ever required 'practical' holsters, certainly don't now. even revolver says no holster restrictions. maybe you were referring to production, carry optics, etc.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Open and limited don’t have gear specs except for safety. Single Stack does.

These rules are close to USPSA rules.

2018 Steel Challenge rulebook. Appendix H4: Single Stack Division. Page 58. Quick notes.

-power floor. NA for Steel Challenge (it was 165);
    -Min caliber. 9 x 19:
    -further down the page, practical EDC holsters worn, entire front strap above top of the belt and worn behind the point of the hip;
    - 10 round mags max capacity as long as gun and empty mag fit in a specifically dimensioned box

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I shot my Commander sized Dan Wesson 1911 Guardian in 9mm once in Single Stack. I have 5 10-round mags specifically for that. I used a regular OWB carry holster with no retention lever. I am pretty sure in SC IWB holsters are not legal.
    But I plan on shooting my Open division Glock 34 this weekend instead of my usual rimfire/PCC group. Be my first match in SC since total knee replacement surgery in late May. Only worried about my movement in Outer Limits.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    So from the looks of it the requirements for a steel challenge are pistol (or carbine), holster, 5 high cap mags, mag pouch (can two be in pockets?) and 200-250 rounds of ammo.
    Plus eyes/ears water sunscreen hat.

I've read several times now that it's probably easier to try a steel challenge for the first attempt instead of the other matches.

You can carry the mags anyway you want to as there will be a table next to the shooting box you can place them on.
    I will be glad to help you out while there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom