• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wiley

MDS Supporter
    Jul 23, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Forewarned is forearmed. Stay vigilant. They cannot change eligibility requirements absent law or rule changes.

bpSchoch

Jan 16, 2009
    Bethesda, MD
    As someone on this forum will no doubt point out, driving in MD is a privilege, not a Constitutional right.

Its not quite that simple. The SCOTUS has said in some many words that if the state wants to deny a once granted privilege, they have to do it using 'due process' which means some very specific things. 'Due process' is a very important part of our interactions with the government that too many just consent and don't enforce.

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    I found this article on npr; not sure of the credability of "downtrend.com", but it seems they are bending the facts enough to try and rally the troops. I think the bigger picture is will Federal and/or State governments continue to expand on areas where they already can strip one from owning/using firearms.

Look at our own gun law changes here; they expanded the scope of certain crimes to also include PBJs. While I do not see my firearms being taken away for not paying parking tickets, it isn't inconceivable to expand on what circumstances disallow folks their rights.

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/20/213546439/one-by-one-california-agents-track-down-illegally-owned-guns

cestrella13

Cosmoline Dreams
    Mar 21, 2013
    Montgomery County
    Funny how a state in near bankruptcy can find $24 million for this. It seems very plausible for Maryland to try this too if they aren't already on a smaller level.. I think it was in my recommended Youtube viewing that has Obama praising Australia's "sensible" gun bans as a model for America to follow. He will likely make another run at a federal ban. maybe before he passes an executive order so he can stay in office indefinitely.
    Regarding your comment questioning California's ability to fund the $24 million mentioned in the article, check out the NPR article I found posted. The last paragraph suggests it was Federal funding, though that is strictly my interpretation.

pjd832

Jul 26, 2012
    The British tried confiscation here in 1774, it didn't work then............IT WON'T WORK NOW!

I respectfully disagree .....those were different times specifically in regards to arms superiority...a "foreign" force not "our govt doing what's best for us" mentality too common today....average American Joe gun owner is a mid life crisis hobbiest...not a seasoned trained combat vet..... Not to say none are... But even those of us that are....how many are going to be willing to go to work with a family 10' away?.....

It's a very precarious situation today.... Even if a true patriot stood up...but out manned and gunned lost.... How do you think it will be spun in the media....? Which will only fuel their agendas momentum among the sheep.......

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    The British tried confiscation here in 1774, it didn't work then............IT WON'T WORK NOW!

how many marylanders walk around with a gun on their hip because they have a constitutional right to "bear" arms along with keeping them? LEO's don't even need to confiscate carried arms because people comply with the law and don't carry. I'm not very old, but I've seen people roll over and accept far more than i thought possible when I was younger. Taxing rain for f's sake?

As for the ca confiscation...I feel like this headline fits right in..
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tely-surrender-your-rifle/#comment-1144667580

New York City authorities have been sending out notices to residents who own guns that now violate new ammunition capability laws, demanding they relinquish their weapons...

it's interesting to see gun registration and how easily it leads to the loss of 2A rights...yet we've already rolled over and accepted not only registration, but mandatory licensing in md with barely a fight at all. We had a few thousand show up and whine a bit to our overlords...but we really didn't FIGHT

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    My brother lives in LA & told me about the confiscations discussed in local papers. Grandpa G's link is an accurate article.

Notice the police have to lure the citizens outside or talk their way inside since they don't have a warrant or probable cause. So far there hasn't been any trouble with most citizens complying peacefully. However, I don't think the same would be true in MD since we are a more rebellious "lot".

The anti 2-A stuff going on in Cal should place the rest of the nation's gun owners on notice.

"How do you know politicians are lying? Their lips are moving."

If the police don't have probable cause to obtain a warrant, they damn sure don't have a basis to put a bunch of M16s in your face when you step out of your front door.

the posting sounds like BS. Period.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    how many marylanders walk around with a gun on their hip because they have a constitutional right to "bear" arms along with keeping them? LEO's don't even need to confiscate carried arms because people comply with the law and don't carry. I'm not very old, but I've seen people roll over and accept far more than i thought possible when I was younger. Taxing rain for f's sake?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...tely-surrender-your-rifle/#comment-1144667580

it's interesting to see gun registration and how easily it leads to the loss of 2A rights...yet we've already rolled over and accepted not only registration, but mandatory licensing in md with barely a fight at all. We had a few thousand show up and whine a bit to our overlords...but we really didn't FIGHT

we did fight, and quite hard. the simple fact is we live in a state where we are outnumbered. where those who are against guns and believe they are every bit as right as we are, simply wield greater political power.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Even if a Democratic House and Senate passed a bill to overturn term limits, it still has to go to the states.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010

That article would carry much more weight with the actual letter printed. How hard would that have been? Otherwise it's just more heresay not reporting. Makes me suspicious about the entire article.

almiller1963

Oct 18, 2013
    Forest Hill, Md

People who don't have guns don't think about this stuff. I bought my first AFTER October 1st and was shocked by the process.

1) Go take an almost worthless class that teaches me not to suck on the end of my gun barrel.

2) Apply for the HQL and wait :mad54:

3) Buy the gun and wait again :mad54:

Before I started wanting to target shoot I had no idea how crazy the law was on guns.... never paid it much attention. Now I see how far my rights have eroded in Maryland....

Makes me sick.

Alutacon

Desert Storm
    May 22, 2013
    Bowie
    Hopefully everyone is bright enough to know that this thread is bs, even if not intended by the OP. If you've never heard of Downtrend, and I certainly hadn't before the OP posted the link to that bogus story, you know all you need to know just by looking at the links to the articles on the right side of their page. Don't bother to read the articles, just look at the titles. Tells you all you need to know.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hopefully everyone is bright enough to know that this thread is bs, even if not intended by the OP. If you've never heard of Downtrend, and I certainly hadn't before the OP posted the link to that bogus story, you know all you need to know just by looking at the links to the articles on the right side of their page. Don't bother to read the articles, just look at the titles. Tells you all you need to know.

Maybe not true in CA, but NYC has sent letters demanding firearms be turned in and invoices submitted proving so.

Bureaucrats love paper ... mmm, paper good! Send more paper ...

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Regardless of some of the points made... I think that the expansion of "prohibited" people is a real and present danger. This is a tactic that we will see much more of in the formerly Free State of Maryland…. Seen a shrink for depression? Banned. Former military with PTSD? Banned. Overdue library book. Banned. It’s coming our way on a fast track.

Mr Bear

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Maryland

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads