Old December 27th, 2011, 06:05 PM #1
Former MSI BOD

Former MSI BOD

Silvester v. Kamala Harris CA 10 Day Wait

New Court Case

Quote:
SAF, CALGUNS FOUNDATION SUE
CALIFORNIA OVER FIREARMS STATUTE

BELLEVUE, WA - The Second Amendment Foundation has joined the Calguns Foundation and three California citizens in a federal lawsuit against the California Department of Justice and Attorney General Kamala Harris, challenging the state's requirement that gun owners wait at least ten days before taking possession of an additional firearm.

The case is known as Jeff Silvester et.al. v Kamala Harris, et.al.

"We've joined in this lawsuit because it makes no sense for California to require a gun owner who already possesses a firearm from buying another one within a few days," said SAF Executive Vice President Alan Gottlieb. "We recall what Dr. Martin Luther King said, that A right delayed is a right denied'."

"Laws that infringe on the right to purchase arms have to be more than just merely rational and must directly serve important governmental interests," added Gene Hoffman, chairman of the Calguns Foundation. "Here, the law is not just irrational but actually contradictory. We filed this case right before Christmas in the hopes that, by next Christmas, gun owners will not suffer this continuing infringement on their right to acquire firearms."

"The State has absolutely no reason to infringe the rights of California gun owners who already possess firearms when they buy another one," said attorney Jason Davis who is representing the plaintiffs.

California currently requires the registration of handguns in California. And, beginning January 2014, it will also require the registration of all newly-purchased rifles and shotguns. Notably, California keeps a current database of all residents who are prohibited by state or federal law from owning or possessing firearms. Individual plaintiffs Jeff Silvester, Michael Poeschl, and Brandon Combs each have firearms registered with the State of California. Mr. Combs and Mr. Silvester also have firearms licenses from the State that constitute ongoing background checks.

"In just about every other state in the U.S., I as a law-abiding gun owner could walk in and, after passing an instant national background check, walk out with a firearm to defend myself in my home," Poeschl said. "What's really frustrating is that California is one of the very few states that forces gun owners to register all handguns that they buy. If the State's database saying that I already lawfully own a gun isn't proof that I don't need a cooling-off' period, then what is?"

"I have a license to carry a loaded firearm across the State," Silvester noted. "It is ridiculous that I have to wait another 10 days to pick up a new firearm when I'm standing there in the gun store lawfully carrying one the whole time."

"As a collector, I submitted to a Live Scan background check and obtained a Certificate of Eligibility to Possess Firearms from the State of California at my own expense," added Combs. "In the Internet era, where every California gun dealer has a computer connected directly to the State's databases, there is no logical reason to force me to wait 10 days and make another trip simply because California doesn't want to acknowledge the Certificate that it issued to me. I have registered guns, and I have the State telling me that I can possess guns, but for some reason I can't exercise my constitutionally protected rights for another ten days? That's insane."

< Please e-mail, distribute, and circulate to friends and family >
Copyright © 2011 Second Amendment Foundation, All Rights Reserved.
Note to Mods: The last line says please distribute to family and friends; so I believe this is ok to publish.
gprimr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM #2
Feelings Hurter

Send a message via Yahoo to Tootall
Feelings Hurter

Send a message via Yahoo to Tootall
This line right here sticks out to me in a good way. maybe someway to incorporate this and other mlk quotes into the open holster rally on mlk day?

"We recall what Dr. Martin Luther King said, that A right delayed is a right denied'."
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 06:35 PM #3

I love the little innuendos hidden in this apparently simple claim for relief...think of a layer being peeled from an onion....

Docket: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....30.docket.html

#1 on the Docket is the actual Complaint. A quick 14 page read: http://www.archive.org/download/gov....233330.1.0.pdf

Thanks SAF & CGF.

Dallas/Ft Worth, TX

Post McDonald Second Amendment Cases/Links HERE
krucam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM #4

Thanks to the OP for a search and skim friendly post title.
jrosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:05 PM #5

This is not insanity, This is Sparta!

It's like tossing a whole cow in the water and expecting goldfish not JAWS. - Mopar92
Markp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2011, 11:33 PM #6

I still cannot fathom how MD and CA (and others) can support a 7 or 10 day wait, for someone who already has a safe full of handguns?
It's totally ridiculous and unjustifiable using their "cool off period" reasoning.

note: Not that I support any wait period for someone on their first purchase, either.

Hats off to the Californians fighting the good fight! Keep up the pressure!
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:33 PM #7
Pro 2A Gastronome

Send a message via AIM to yellowfin
Pro 2A Gastronome

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWerX View Post
I still cannot fathom how MD and CA (and others) can support a 7 or 10 day wait, for someone who already has a safe full of handguns?
It's totally ridiculous and unjustifiable using their "cool off period" reasoning.
It's justifiable according to the ideology of those who passed, signed, and support the law: harassing gun owners as an objective in and of itself. They simply want to make it annoying, inconvenient, expensive, confusing, and discouraging as much as possible as often as possible to make existing gun owners leave, new ones from never bothering to start, and ones from out of state to not move in. Nothing more nothing less. Any other explanation is useless and a waste of time even entertaining the thought.
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:52 PM #8
Former MSI BOD

Former MSI BOD

Quote:

note: Not that I support any wait period for someone on their first purchase, either.

I can at least understand the thinking behind the cooling off period for the first purchase ever; but subsequent purposes truly confuse me.
gprimr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2011, 11:59 PM #9
Pro 2A Gastronome

Pro 2A Gastronome

What's confusing about it? See above.
Old December 29th, 2011, 09:19 AM #10

Quote:

It's even more interesting that in MD, you can be a collector which says, "I collect handguns" and erases the one-per-30 day requirement. Yet, it still takes upwards of 7-10 days or more for the "not disapproved" check by the State Police.

It makes no sense to delay a already known "not-disapproved" gun owner ...
tomh is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues