• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Who has some military surplus? What about the bolt actions, battle rifles, machine guns, pistols, mortars (for those few that have them), and midrange caliber rifles (AK, SKS, M-1...)? I say we start a machine gun/military gun/class III shoot in Maryland.

monsternav

May 20, 2005
    St Marys/Kuwait
    I got my C&R in August. I don't have any NFA stuff, but I have started a small collection of milsurp stuf:

M-1 Garand x 2
    M-1 Carbine
    K-31
    Turk M38
    Russian M38 carbine
    Yugo M59/66A1 SKS
    Finn M39

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have two CZ 52s and a .45 Systema Colt license 1911A1 made over fifty years ago. My C&R FFL paid for itself the first CZ 52 I bought with it. :D I strongly suggest the FFL, especially living in Maryalnd. When I bought my Systema in a Md gunshop, I didn't have to fill out a single form, pay the background check fee, and I paid for it and walked out within minutes. No 7 day waiting period when buying C&R pistols :party29: . The CZ 52s arrived at my doorstep in less time than it takes to buy a pistol in Md without an FFL, as well :party29: :D :) :cool: ;) :party29:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I guess that I have an A1 as well then. Too bad that the tritium already reached it's many half lives already and won't glow anymore. :( I wonder if there is somewhere I can get some tritium/phosphorous paint.

Mark

Last edited:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    novus collectus said:
    I wonder if there is somewhere I can get some tritium/phosphorous paint.

I did a little research, and it appears that Tritium is not available to the general public, and I couldn't find much on Phosphorus paint. Anyway, I don't think Phosphorus would be a good choice as it ceases to glow shortly after being removed from a light source. I would think that your best bet would be to take your sights to a watch repair shop, as they may have Tritium or an equivalent available.

Last edited:

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Jewelery store. Good idea.

By the way, I am almost positive that tritium nightsights have phosphorous in them. The (alpha?) radiation emitted by the hydrogen isotope ecxites the phosphorous into glowing. Kinda like X-rays did to the phosphorous on the old fluoroscopes. Not sure if you knew this info, but I thought maybe you misunderstood what I meant when I incorrectly used the "/" between tritium and phosphorous.

Hmm...I wonder if I can take apart a smoke detector and use that to mix with the phosphorous. Maybe put a glass surface on the sights to help prevent radiation particles from getting out. Probably get cancer making it though, so forget it. I'll just crush up some lightning bugs or go to the jeweler. Might scare them though when I carry my SKS into their store though :eek: .

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Never tried to remove the sights so I don't know. But they flip down anyway and I can use it without them so the fact that they don't glow anymore isn't a problem. Just be cool to have them work again though.

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    My modest collection of milsurps so far: M59/66, RC Kar98k, and MN M38.

I've been wanting to get a CZ52. Anyone know of online dealers willing to ship to MD? Thanks!

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    MikeH said:
    My modest collection of milsurps so far: M59/66, RC Kar98k, and MN M38.

I've been wanting to get a CZ52. Anyone know of online dealers willing to ship to MD? Thanks!
    Yes, but they may be out of them: http://www.tdwsales.com/page/page/778575.htm

I think I found a few others as well and I think one of them was in Florida and the other was in Kentucky, but I can't remember any specifics.

By the way, if give up and you have it shipped to an FFL in MD, then you will not have to wait 7 days if you give the FFL dealer a copy of your C&R, but you would still have to pay his transfer fee.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I just thought of something. I am pretty sure it is perfectly legal for you to buy one in an online auction and have it shipped to you through overnight UPS. I think you still have to send the person a copy of your C&R FFL (I did, just in case).

MikeH

May 9, 2005
    Thanks!

It ought be be legal to buy C&R handguns just like C&R rifles. The problem is that the online seller may not know.

You'll need to mail or fax a copy of your FFL to receive firearms directly from the seller. Only exception I know is in-state FTF.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    MikeH said:
    Thanks!

It ought be be legal to buy C&R handguns just like C&R rifles. The problem is that the online seller may not know.

You'll need to mail or fax a copy of your FFL to receive firearms directly from the seller. Only exception I know is in-state FTF.
    I don't know about the FAX part. I have only heard that 01 FFLs can now FAX a signed copy, but I have seen nothing yet that says 03 C&R FFL holders can FAX too. Might have to check on that before trying it.

When I bought one of my C&Rs in state from another FFL, I still had to provide a signed copy (but I think I only have to give him a copy once and I can go back and buy another C&R handgun without giving him another copy).

BTW, I was talking about non-FFL holders on online auctions and how I send them a copy of my FFL anyway.

U.S.SFC_RET

Ultimate Member
    Dec 8, 2005
    novus collectus said:
    Jewelery store. Good idea.

By the way, I am almost positive that tritium nightsights have phosphorous in them. The (alpha?) radiation emitted by the hydrogen isotope ecxites the phosphorous into glowing. Kinda like X-rays did to the phosphorous on the old fluoroscopes. Not sure if you knew this info, but I thought maybe you misunderstood what I meant when I incorrectly used the "/" between tritium and phosphorous.

Hmm...I wonder if I can take apart a smoke detector and use that to mix with the phosphorous. Maybe put a glass surface on the sights to help prevent radiation particles from getting out. Probably get cancer making it though, so forget it. I'll just crush up some lightning bugs or go to the jeweler. Might scare them though when I carry my SKS into their store though :eek: .
    Smoke detectors probably still carry americium 249 radio isotope and the level that is in them more than likely couldn't make a difference. Now if you find maybe 20 of them.:D

Lambo

R.I.P.
    Dec 6, 2005
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Ive been collecting Mosin-Nagants the last few years. Add a couple Mausers to the Mix. To date there isn't to much quality to be had as far as Military Surplus Firearms, at least at affordable prices.
    I have in my collection,
    1 Russian MN M44 carbine
    1 Hungarian MN M44 carbine
    1 Polish MN M44 carbine
    1 Yugo M48 Mauser
    1 RC K98 Mauser
    There not much for accuracy but hold Historic Value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom