Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    US Made FAL Recievers?

Any opinions on who makes good ones?

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Without a doubt, DSA makes the best. Most people in the know agree that they are actually better than the original FN receivers. DSA bought all of the original FN manufacturing equipment and had it shipped to the states, so they are made precisely to spec, but they use a more modern alloy that is lighter and stronger than the original. There is a very long wait for them though. If you join the FALFiles.com forum you can get $100 off a DSA receiver.

You'll have to join to see the post, but here is the link anyway: http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=194182&

Gang,

I was asked to create a sticky noting the current price to FAL Files members on receivers. I will update this post in the future with any price changes. Note we do not offer discounts on any other items, nor are there any "group buys" on DSA products organized through DSA.

The current price for FAL Files members for receivers is: $350.

Thank you!

John

DSA Forum Representative

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If you're willing to pay $475 (and act FAST!) there's a guy selling DSA receivers in the marketplace- he had 15 in stock as of mid-afternoon.

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I did a FAL build with a parts kit and a DSA receiver. Everyone I talked to on the FAL Files said that DSA is the way to go, just more expensive than the others. I had no problems with there receiver. I would like to do another DSA build in the future.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I did a FAL build with a parts kit and a DSA receiver. Everyone I talked to on the FAL Files said that DSA is the way to go, just more expensive than the others. I had no problems with there receiver. I would like to do another DSA build in the future.

Was timing the barrel as much of a pain as it looks to be?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007

any feedback on the Aussie Lithgow L1A1/inch vs other/metric parts kits?

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I would give Vincent a call at Gideon's. I think he has some experience with FAL building and can probably point you in the right direction as well as do the transfer. 410-420-9052

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I have the tools and the AGI video to lend if anyone needs them. Timing did not seem to be that difficult. Its a question of using the correct locking shoulder in the receiver. Metric parts kits are far more plentiful, hence cheaper.
    Alot of the Inch parts will also work in the metric kits and Visa Versa. If I remember correctly metric mags will go in an Inch gun, but inch mags will not go in a metric gun.

Inch barrels index onto the receiver with spacers where as the Metric barrels need to have the shoulder shaved down.

Indian and Israeli barrels are another issue. Not sure but I think that you had to rethread the barrel

Did I help or confuse?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I have the tools and the AGI video to lend if anyone needs them. Timing did not seem to be that difficult. Its a question of using the correct locking shoulder in the receiver. Metric parts kits are far more plentiful, hence cheaper.
    Alot of the Inch parts will also work in the metric kits and Visa Versa. If I remember correctly metric mags will go in an Inch gun, but inch mags will not go in a metric gun.

Inch barrels index onto the receiver with spacers where as the Metric barrels need to have the shoulder shaved down.

Indian and Israeli barrels are another issue. Not sure but I think that you had to rethread the barrel

Did I help or confuse?

Help.

Tx

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    I studied it many times. If you want to try it I have the .308 Gages, Barrel Vise, Receiver Wrench, Locking Shoulder Gage, and a die to shave the metric barrel shoulder. Some how I lost my stock wrench in the basement of infinite clutter.

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    I studied it many times. If you want to try it I have the .308 Gages, Barrel Vise, Receiver Wrench, Locking Shoulder Gage, and a die to shave the metric barrel shoulder. Some how I lost my stock wrench in the basement of infinite clutter.

I may take you up on that. The one thing I do have is an FAL stock wrench. :thumbsup:

DD214

Founder
    Apr 26, 2005
    St Mary's County
    Anyone who is curious about the durability of FALs should read up on the legend of Ol' Dirty at the FAL Files.

This is a tale of a legendary rifle from Texas known as Ol' Dirty. The rifle is owned by FAL Files and TX-FNFAL member, James. This is not a story for the faint of heart or for AR-15 owners so read at your own risk...

The chamber area has an incredibly nasty build-up of carbon (it actually now has an almost solid carbon feed ramp). The gas plug is pretty much frozen up from carbon fouling and I don't think the piston has been seen for some time now. The rifle still cycles perfectly and the accuracy is as good as ever. I have shot my rifles against this rifle many times and it is tough if not impossible to beat. Accurate shot placement out to 400 and 500 yards is common for James and Ol' Dirty.

It just goes to prove what the FAL can accomplish under the most extremely filthy conditions...

Current round count without cleaning:13,500

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68486&perpage=50&pagenumber=1

gibby

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2007
    Bel Air, MD
    visewrench1fr9.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl