• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Just sharing what I have experianced after 4 1/2 years of owning a Browning Buckmark and Ruger 22/45 Lite in my house. Buckmark is mine and 22/45 Lite is my wife's.

BuckMark:
    Eats just about everything. Only thing it ever had trouble with was Winchester and that was when it was real dirty. I often might go 600-800 rounds before I clean it. Plus when I clean it, it is really easy to break down so long as you have the appropriate allen wrench. Zero surprises and I don't have to watch a video to do it. Very accurate and I really like the trigger. Deliberate and crisp. Mine is totally unmodded. I took the red dot off cause I don't think its needed. Magazine locks in very positive. No guessing its in all the way. Mine is heavy, but I like it heavy, When one handed I shoot the best with this one. I do prefer willams type fiber sites and if I ever modded it, I might put a new rear sight on it so I have 3 dots to align. Wearing glasses, its easy to align 3 fuzzy dots than anything other than maybe a red dot.

Ruger 22/45 Lite:
    Well, its light. very light. A tag picky for ammo compared to the Buckmark but still very nice. It would be a better choice for smaller hands and thus what my wife picked. But I still like it also. I can't go as many rounds before cleaning as the Buckmark though. Couple hundred and no more than 500 I'd say is what I've experanced. Then there is the cleaning. My goodness. I have to watch a video each time and sometimes 2. No video does a good job with the little arm that comes off the hammer to really explain about moving the hammer forward enough and where that goes when you rotate the spring in. I cleaned it last night and I think I had to watch 3 videos. If I shot it more often, I'm sure I'd remember so if this is your go to gun, the cleaning part may not phase you. However, compared to the buckmark, I think powder resedue gets into the Ruger more than the buckmark. With the Ruger, I think I have more to clean. and there's more hidden areas. Bring a toothpick too. It eats just as much but maybe a tad more picky on ammo than the buckmark. The big plus on this model is the threaded barrel. If you have a 22 suppressor, you likely can use the sights as is. I could not find Pink grips so my son 3D printed the set that is on there now. I don't like the mags, At least in this one, when it locks in, there is very little of a "click" to feel or hear that it is in there. The mag recesses some in the grips so I have to push with a finger and not the palm unless I slam it.

In the end, the Buckmark was perfect for me and the Ruger was perfect for my wife so happy with both. I have had tendonitis at times or other ailments/injuries in my arms and when that is the case, I go for the Ruger 22/45 Lite for the weight. It won't wear my arms out for sure. Otherwise, its the Buckmark.

Attachments

• pink2245.jpg
      pink2245.jpg
      59.4 KB · Views: 1,927
    • buckmark.jpg
      buckmark.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 1,913

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I like the Buckmark as well but the product support through Browning is terrible.

I bought a used Buckmark and when I went to disassemble it, the recoil spring went flying across the room. Whoever had it before me lost the little clip, emphasis on little, that holds the spring on.

I tried contacting Browning and eventually they got back to me, but it took them a while. In the meantime I tried every place I could think of to get the replacement parts and had no luck.

Eventually, I found a batch of Buckmark parts on, of all places, Ebay and bought everything I could get.

After all that, it is a fun gun to shoot. I bought a threaded barrel for it and have had a blast pinging steel with it.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I like the Buckmark as a suppressor host over the 22/45. It does eat anything i feed it. So did the 22/45. I just prefer the Buckmark.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    I've had both, threaded for cans. As stated, the Browning was much easier to disassemble. Otherwise, not much difference.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    seems you might be interested in the new Buckmark plus lite, comes with a lightweight threaded barrel. I'm a fan too, IMO a much better pistol than the Ruger out of the box. You can flip the trigger spring, and for 10 minutes worth of work with 0 parts basically get a trigger that rivals anything the MK3 has aftermarket.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I have several examples of Buckmark and non-lite 22/45. Stock, I prefer the Buckmark. With Volquartsen upgrades and minus the mag disconnect and LCI, I prefer the 22/45. All of them are spooky accurate. 22/45 gets much easier to disassemble/assemble with practice. No big deal now.

tball

Ultimate Member
    May 20, 2010
    St. Augustine, Florida
    +1 for the Buckmark. I bring mine to club shoots and it gets borrowed all the time. It is a terrific training tool. It is very accurate. My wife liked it so much that its now "hers"...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    We shoot Buck Mark yesterday. We like. Hit target in middle. Stay open after last round. Drop magazine, insert fresh and sling shot slide, shoot more.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    See . I'm going to wait for Glock fan boys to chime in. I Like both but I do like having a Sig P250 22lr and my Sig P320 in 9mm as the hand hold and virtually everything is the same.

Now I get that the ruger matches a 1911 almost perfectly but the weight, which the OP noted, is vastly different. I just personally wish more MFG's offered 22 versions in the same size and configuration as their carry/full size options.

r100rsman

Mar 9, 2017
    Olney
    I have a BuckMark and a SW22 Victory and i like the Victory much better. The Victory is very accurate, a breeze to take down and will eat anything i feed it. Looking for a Ruger Mark IV next but really like the Victory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom