• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Had an interesting shoot this am.

Long story short a case was torn in half and not the long way....front half stuck in the chamber of a 7.62x51....bummer.

Next round partially chambered and the base was up against the bolt....I didn't notice it....potential for the round going off without the bolt in battery was huge. Had it gone off it would have ruined my day but not likely to cause injury because the case was totally uncontained so it would have been like a round going off in a fire and the case would have ruptured...blown out the open top of the chamber and out the bottom into the mag.

I was overthinking the issue of getting the shell remains out of the chamber....I pulled out a stock chamber brush, shoved it into the case remains and it pulled right out..no problem/resistance at all.

Chamber/gun looks fine and it appears that I just had a bad round. It chambers and extracts properly...no worries.

The experience reminded me to visually check that the bolt is in battery (semi auto) before squeezing off the next round....its a habit that I have gotten out of but will be sure to get back into and would urge others to consider.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Glad that it worked out so easily. After seeing that dent in the primer, it had me thinking about what could have happened.

Let's hope that's the last time that happens.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    Glad that it worked out so easily. After seeing that dent in the primer, it had me thinking about what could have happened.

Let's hope that's the last time that happens.

Yup, it makes you appreciate military primers more.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom