• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I have an appointment with the "Garand Whisperer" Charlie Maloney, tomorrow.

I'm pretty excited to sit with him and get intimate with the rifle. Since this is an import, it's a bit of a mystery in terms of throat, muzzle, headspace and timing. He's going to check all that out and more.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois

I'm pretty excited to sit with him and get intimate with the rifle. Since this is an import, it's a bit of a mystery in terms of throat, muzzle, headspace and timing. He's going to check all that out and more.

Very cool. Please post a follow up.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    He is awesome. Get the trigger job and what ever he recommends. You will learn a lot. He is a true master.

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    I think I used him about 20 years ago for
    some M1A work...not sure. Is he up in
    Montgomery County?
    Also used a guy down on Cobb Island who
    tuned up a couple or three of my Garands.
    That was about 15 years ago.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I think I used him about 20 years ago for
    some M1A work...not sure. Is he up in
    Montgomery County?
    Also used a guy down on Cobb Island who
    tuned up a couple or three of my Garands.
    That was about 15 years ago.

No, Charlie Maloney is in Catonsville, just a couple miles outside the B'more beltway. He did a bunch of work for me over the summer, inspecting and tuning the triggers of the guns I brought him. It was hugely educational to watch and learn as he took each one through it's paces.

JoeR

mrbig381

Nov 5, 2009
    southern Md
    Roger Miller was the guy in Cobb Island. I believe he suffered a stroke a few years ago and I have heard he isn't doing much these days.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Local armorers who truly know the rifle are few and far between and aging out. For those of you who, like me, are purchasing non-CMP Garands, and they're also your first Garands, you should really think about availing yourself of Maloney's services.

A "NO GO" rifle could cause an injury or at best, damage the rifle. I dunno who's going to pick up the reins when these guys have passed.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Local armorers who truly know the rifle are few and far between and aging out. For those of you who, like me, are purchasing non-CMP Garands, and they're also your first Garands, you should really think about availing yourself of Maloney's services.

A "NO GO" rifle could cause an injury or at best, damage the rifle. I dunno who's going to pick up the reins when these guys have passed.

Yea, I hear you. Charlie is getting up there and semi retired.
    I guess Fulton Armory?

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    The garand is so simple, I’m surprised anyone needs to take it in for a ‘tune up”. Lol. Buy the garand book by Duff if you’re feeling intimidated

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County

Good choice.. you will be happy with his work. And a really good guy too..

:party29:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Charlie lives in my neighborhood. I walk Bucky past his home at least 4-5 times a week. It's been a long time since I last saw him and at that his health was poor. Hopefully he's doing better these days.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Sooooo...

My "backup" Garand is a garbage rod. That rifle swallowed every gauge Charlie put into it. The bolt easily closed on the NO GO gauge. The stock is too loose. Trigger slop.

The op rod checked out OK, gas piston checked out OK.

So the rifle gets a 2 week vacation at Maloney's Garand Luxury Resort & Spa for a new barrel, op rod spring, stock kit and trigger job.

I'll immortalize the receipt in glass and have him autograph the stock.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Sooooo...

My "backup" Garand is a garbage rod. That rifle swallowed every gauge Charlie put into it. The bolt easily closed on the NO GO gauge. The stock is too loose. Trigger slop.

The op rod checked out OK, gas piston checked out OK.

So the rifle gets a 2 week vacation at Maloney's Garand Luxury Resort & Spa for a new barrel, op rod spring, stock kit and trigger job.

I'll immortalize the receipt in glass and have him autograph the stock.

I have 2 Garands that I'd like to take up to him. I need to get on that sooner rather than later.

Was it pretty easy to get an appointment with him or was there a bit of a wait?

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    I have 2 Garands that I'd like to take up to him. I need to get on that sooner rather than later.

Was it pretty easy to get an appointment with him or was there a bit of a wait?

Super easy. Just email him, follow his instructions to the letter. He has a process.

My rifle was actually unsafe. I'm glad I had him check it before I fired it.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    I've had Mr. Maloney work on a few of my rifles. It was a pleasure to sit with him and watch him do his thing. I'm glad to hear he is still at it.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    Super easy. Just email him, follow his instructions to the letter. He has a process.

My rifle was actually unsafe. I'm glad I had him check it before I fired it.

Sounds good!!!! I'll have to check out when my next days off are.

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    A little more information about my rifle which may help other buyers in the future:

First, Blue Sky Imports is/was a Korean company which bought M1 rifles from the South Korean military. At that point, they stopped being "Lend/Lease" and were no longer property of the US Gov't. This is why Blue Sky had to import them into the US. These rifles were used hard by the South Korean military and should be expected to have problems.

My rifle in particular, showed signs of being used to launch a LOT of grenades. The rifling from the muzzle end of the barrel down about 4 inches was nearly gone. Everything else showed incredibly hard wear.
    The op rod spring had large flat spots that had worn the spring thin. Charlie felt that after about 100 more shots, the spring would have failed outright. The headspace and timing were bad enough that after several shots, he felt that the cases would get torn up upon extraction.

The bottom line is this: If you've bought a non-CMP rifle in Maryland and you don't know its provenance, for your personal safety, you should take the rifle to Charlie or another qualified armorer for a health and safety check. The worn rifling is no big deal. It just means the rifle would be horribly inaccurate but the headspace and timing can be dangerous and could result in a cartridge blowing up in your face.

I didn't buy the rifle for its collector value and I was never concerned about its re-sale value but I did screw up. I paid way too much considering the condition of the rifle. That's on me. The good(?) news is, Charlie says it'll be of "break even" value when he's through with it.

Once I get the rifle back from Charlie, I'll see how I feel about it. I may actually cancel my order with the CMP if I'm really satisfied.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom