• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I've got a 10" Thompson Contender, in 44 Mag. Might cut it to 8" when I get it threaded. When I add a suppressor, the iron sights aren't going to be tall enough. So I need a red dot that can handle the recoil of a fairly light combo without falling apart. Any suggestions?

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Any of the Aimpoint and Trijicon offerings will do. The Aimpoint Micros like an H-1 and the Trijicon RMR are lightweight and are popular for compact uses though. The Leupold Deltapoint is another contender.

Holosun and the Primary Arms silver series should work too if you don’t mind PRC made. It’s unfortunate that Holosun has features that the Trijicon RMR does not, like the ability to switch a battery without removing the optic and having to re-zero.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Any of the Aimpoint and Trijicon offerings will do. The Aimpoint Micros like an H-1 and the Trijicon RMR are lightweight and are popular for compact uses though. The Leupold Deltapoint is another contender.

Holosun and the Primary Arms silver series should work too if you don’t mind PRC made. It’s unfortunate that Holosun has features that the Trijicon RMR does not, like the ability to switch a battery without removing the optic and having to re-zero.

I think too much is made of that. You can always go with a Trij SRO. Battery changes without pulling the sight.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The top choices for pistol guys are the RMR, DPP, and HS507C. Of those, the RMR is probably the toughest.

Winged Pig

Aug 20, 2008
    Calvert County
    Check out Sage Dynamics on youtube. The guy puts red dots through some serious torture tests including a drop test on the sight while it's mounted on a Glock onto a concrete block from shoulder height. RMR seemed bullet proof and continued to work after repeated drops, while the SRO took major damage and I believe was toast after it's first trip to the concrete. SRO seemed like more of a competition optic while the RMR was more focused on duty use. I haven't watched him try to destroy any Holosun stuff, but it's probably there. YMMV

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Check out Sage Dynamics on youtube. The guy puts red dots through some serious torture tests including a drop test on the sight while it's mounted on a Glock onto a concrete block from shoulder height. RMR seemed bullet proof and continued to work after repeated drops, while the SRO took major damage and I believe was toast after it's first trip to the concrete. SRO seemed like more of a competition optic while the RMR was more focused on duty use. I haven't watched him try to destroy any Holosun stuff, but it's probably there. YMMV
    ^^^Yup^^^
    I have the SRO on my hunting gun(10mm). I have RMRs on my 'glocks'.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    For competition, the thought process is that you always need a backup. Slide mounted dots will all fail, it's just a question of when. So you need to budget for a spare.

Your contender actually has less recoil issue than a semi auto, because it doesn't reciprocate. RMR, Dpp, sro, and holosun are all good enough, so choose the reticle and window you like.

Tracker12

Dec 29, 2016
    For competition, the thought process is that you always need a backup. Slide mounted dots will all fail, it's just a question of when. So you need to budget for a spare.

Your contender actually has less recoil issue than a semi auto, because it doesn't reciprocate. RMR, Dpp, sro, and holosun are all good enough, so choose the reticle and window you like.

These are good choices just need to find your price point

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom