• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Good to see you back from firearms limbo, comrade Ferret! I think there are several members who could probably use your AK experience.

Holepunch, if you don't want a hobby that will quickly consume all your free time and resources, don't start building AKs... :)

i'm still deciding which ones are gonna go to thin things down substantially.

Eta: all semi autos at least. Prolly the 308 as well. Keep one rifle one shotgun and the blackpowder

Last edited:

EWO

AGC / Monumental Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Ellicott City MD
    Can someone give me the "in-a-nutshell" description of converting? I hear it all the time, but not sure what it means exactly.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Saigas come into the country in "sporting configuration" to comply with import laws. No pistol grip with the trigger moved rearwards, and will lack a bullet guide so they are incompatible with surplus mags.

AK-based Saigas will typically have the pistol grip hole already cut under a plate spot welded onto the receiver. Remove the plate, add new furniture and US FCG and you've got something that looks a bit more like an AK. Drill and tap the trunnion and bolt in a bullet guide and it can use standard AK mags. All this sounds complicated but doesn't require anything more than some simple hand tools and a couple of hours of time.

Everything else is icing; the whole front end is a little different and it won't accept standard front handguards without bolting on a retainer or pressing off the gas block. The front sight has a shroud which covers the end of the barrel, so guys that want to install a muzzle device have some additional work to do.

Generally, these are very well-made AKs and worth the effort if you are looking to customize it to your tastes or save a little money on a fun project. One of Arsenal's best selling products are Saigas they've pre-converted.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I'm picking up my American Russian Saiga 308 pretty soon. First on my agenda is to get a new trigger group after Christmas.

you're gonna love your new Saiga! did you get the 16" one or the 21" with teh wood furniture? i've always wanted to get the 21" Saiga .308 and convert it and make a "Saigunov" :D

EWO

AGC / Monumental Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Ellicott City MD
    Saigas come into the country in "sporting configuration" to comply with import laws. No pistol grip with the trigger moved rearwards, and will lack a bullet guide so they are incompatible with surplus mags.

AK-based Saigas will typically have the pistol grip hole already cut under a plate spot welded onto the receiver. Remove the plate, add new furniture and US FCG and you've got something that looks a bit more like an AK. Drill and tap the trunnion and bolt in a bullet guide and it can use standard AK mags. All this sounds complicated but doesn't require anything more than some simple hand tools and a couple of hours of time.

Everything else is icing; the whole front end is a little different and it won't accept standard front handguards without bolting on a retainer or pressing off the gas block. The front sight has a shroud which covers the end of the barrel, so guys that want to install a muzzle device have some additional work to do.

Generally, these are very well-made AKs and worth the effort if you are looking to customize it to your tastes or save a little money on a fun project. One of Arsenal's best selling products are Saigas they've pre-converted.

Thanks for the info R-C. :thumbsup: :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom