• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    Does the velocity an air rifle is rated at dictate a range it will shoot? Questioning about the Gamo Magnum. Rated at 1650 fps in .177 and 1300 fps in .22. I know I'm green fellas, and ask a lot of questions and maybe even a few rather stupid ones, but if I don't, how can I learn?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    For the same pellet weight the higher velocity will travel further. Other considerations are the guns accuracy and what you want to accomplish, punching a hole in paper is one thing ethically taking game is something else. For hunting you need to be concerned with retained energy. And the bullet drop gets pretty extreme once they loose velocity and energy.

Outta Air

Dec 28, 2015
    Exactly where I want to be
    You're right about the paper targets vs game. I also realize that those extreme velocities are with very light pellets. So I think you're probably talking more like 1300 or 1350 fps for .177 and maybe 1050 or 110 fps for .22 depending on the ever present weight variable. A hunter, me? Don't make me laugh! :lol: I've shot maybe a couple dozen times. Where you and Chris and BigTinBoat and the likes, probably more like a couple thousand times. So my inexperience is really just a big ol PiA!!!:lol: But it can't hurt to ask questions. I'd say I'm probably more a collector than shooter. :lol2::lol2::lol2: By the way, I did order that Valken Infiltrator. I'm anxious to see how it performs and if it has the accuracy they say. Next one will be the Thunderjet. But the last thing is that I did order those boattail HPs from Mr. Hollowpoint for when I go to peacemaker national. That should be interesting!!!

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or rather, for the same ballistic coeffecent, which in this case is pretty much same thing as sectional density, more velocity equates to "more farther" .

But to get all picky ; factors of defining more farther- ness variously include retained energy, drop, and wind drift.

If * the question probably actually seeking * was along the lines of " which with give consistant hits/ tight groups at a farther practical distance ? " , the answer would be the .177 as above.

I've been researching this very issue for several weeks now since I bought a PCP. The guys at Pyramyd Air have been very helpful. Beside my new PCP, I also own a GAMO bull whisper (bone collector) which claims 1300 FPS with their platinum pellets...however...the platinum pellets in my rifle are not accurate...groups in the 2-3 inch range are not suitable for target shooting let alone ethical hunting. Pyramyd air suggested a heavier, slower pellet so I purchased a test box of pellets with 4 different types/weights...after firing several shots of all four I found that a 15.43 grn jumbo grouped at .25 inches at 30 yards, chrono'ed at 1077 fps with the added benefit of being subsonic so the noise is kept down as well. Do your research, try several different types of ammo..it's the only way to get the most accuracy..

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I friend at my club has a large caliber, .357, PCP rifle. I know nothing about it other than is was about 1200 FPS. We could hit the steel at 200 yards easily. He casts his own projectiles and has a content air setup for it.

DentonDog

May 18, 2017
    Caroline Co, MD
    I have a Gamo Whisper Fusion Pro (spring type). Also have a Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital. The advertised muzzle velocities of the Game pellets are pretty close to what I'm getting. Examples: Bone Collector, 1091fps; Rocket, 948fps; Whisper, 851fps; Platinum, 1298fps. Have not found super accuracy at 30 yards, mostly caused by me. Still getting used to the artillery hold.

Last edited:
    I have found that breaking the sound barrier in a small caliber air gun often results in poor accuracy. I started using heavier pellets for my .177 springer and my .22 PCP and I now can group 1/4 inch at 50 yards (farthest I can shoot in my own yard). With lighter pellets, especially in the .177 I was all over the place at high speed. I installed a motion detecting flood light in my yard and have been shooting rats at night with the springer (Gamo Whisper Bone Collector) and every one of them has been a one round head shot. If you are having accuracy issues I suggest the heavier pellets. I am a member of a Facebook group that primarily is an air gun and rim fire group shooting vermin. it's based out of the U.K. where airgun hunting is very popular. These guys video their kills through their scopes and post them on the page. Shots at small game (rabbits, rats and squirrels mainly) are often over 100 yards and sometimes out to 200...I think to shoot long range the secret is a high quality gun with high quality optics...some of these guys have a couple thousand bucks into their guns..

Jan 28, 2013
    Muleskinner nailed it. You never ever want to go super Sonic with an air rifle. What those rated speeds allow you to do is use a heavy pellet which tends to be more accurate and lays down higher kinetic energy.

I had a Gamo magnum.22 and returned it. Was super loud. Decided to go far more accurate and nearly silent and got a marauder .22 and don't regret spending all the extra money to get into PCP air rifles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom