• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Never mind, I see that the MGA summary page has October 1, 2019 as the effective date.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Never mind, I see that the MGA summary page has October 1, 2019 as the effective date.

In addition to the summary page, the very last comment on each and every bill is the effective date, so I would go by that since the summary page may not get updated if an effective date is changed.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    ... I am tentatively okay with UBC. I'd feel a lot better with a NICS system average citizens can access. That or mandating maximum fees that an FFL can charge for facilitating a transaction ...

They appreciate your approval, feelings, and granting of additional powers to them over private business.

On the other hand, I don't feel the government has a right to inject itself into private commerce of firearms between citizens, they should not have to ask permission of a federal system for any reason in order to acquire a firearm, and government certainly should not affect price controls upon private businesses.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    They appreciate your approval, feelings, and granting of additional powers to them over private business.

On the other hand, I don't feel the government has a right to inject itself into private commerce of firearms between citizens, they should not have to ask permission of a federal system for any reason in order to acquire a firearm, and government certainly should not affect price controls upon private businesses.

Government sets price controls on private business all the time. Has for 200+ years.

If we decide that some people should be prohibited from owning guns then by extension there needs to be some system in place to ensure or at least try to ensure that those prohibited do not buy or access firearms.

Otherwise prohibiting a person to own firearms doesn’t do anything if there is no method for trying to make sure they don’t access them.

In some cases that means setting laws for citizens who want to be law abiding (even if they don’t like those laws). Criminals won’t follow them, but law abiding citizens who follow them do reduce access to firearms to prohibited persons even if it doesn’t stop it entirely.

I have a problem with mandatory licenses. I have a problem with may issue. I have a problem with categorical bans. I have a problem with registration.

I don’t with background checks.

None of our other rights are absolutely unlimited.

I don’t agree with how either SB737 or Hb786 are attempting to implement UBC.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Government sets price controls on private business all the time. Has for 200+ years.

If we decide that some people should be prohibited from owning guns then by extension there needs to be some system in place to ensure or at least try to ensure that those prohibited do not buy or access firearms.

Otherwise prohibiting a person to own firearms doesn’t do anything if there is no method for trying to make sure they don’t access them.

In some cases that means setting laws for citizens who want to be law abiding (even if they don’t like those laws). Criminals won’t follow them, but law abiding citizens who follow them do reduce access to firearms to prohibited persons even if it doesn’t stop it entirely.

I have a problem with mandatory licenses. I have a problem with may issue. I have a problem with categorical bans. I have a problem with registration.

I don’t with background checks.

None of our other rights are absolutely unlimited.

I don’t agree with how either SB737 or Hb786 are attempting to implement UBC.

Yes, there's nothing that says they shouldn't and haven't meddled. However, every time Government sets prices, there are consequences, usually negative. Farm, drug, medical price controls, minimum wage, have all had negative impacts.

The notion of "prohibited person" is questionable at best. My feeling on that is that if one is not in jail, one should be able to defend oneself. It is a natural right that Government may not strip for any reason. When you look at it this way, the shams of NICS and "prohibited persons" all fall away.

If Government has its way, ALL OF US will be "prohibited persons".

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    If it's any consolation to you guys, I don't believe the guy selling "used" guns out of his trunk on Lombard Street cares a bit about this bill. Nor will he be affected at allby it.

The General ASSembly seems quite adept at creating criminals out of thin air...

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    A right limited is a right denied. UBC’s are a joke meant to further restrict he law abiding undesirables.

Laws can’t prevent crime, they only allow the State to punish those the State deems guilty. Since the state doesn’t see fit to actually punish those committing crime now, why should they be granted anymore power?

Championing further restriction is no different than the loyalist citizens of Boston praising the Intolerable Acts as necessary. “If the Crown deems that we should no longer have cannons, then those farmers should give them up! No rights are unlimited you know”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yes, there's nothing that says they shouldn't and haven't meddled. However, every time Government sets prices, there are consequences, usually negative. Farm, drug, medical price controls, minimum wage, have all had negative impacts.

The notion of "prohibited person" is questionable at best. My feeling on that is that if one is not in jail, one should be able to defend oneself. It is a natural right that Government may not strip for any reason. When you look at it this way, the shams of NICS and "prohibited persons" all fall away.

If Government has its way, ALL OF US will be "prohibited persons".

Only reason I am in favor of NICS for ALL gun purchases, is to prevent somebody that is mentally ill from getting a gun and pulling a Columbine, VA Tech, Aurora, Sandy Hook, Pulse Night Club, Las Vegas, Stoneman Douglas, etc.

Yes, I know that some of those were done with firearms purchased legally or stolen. Some, were done by people who should not have passed a NICS check if their mental health records were reported to NICS.

In my ideal world, NICS would be complete with mental health data of those that have been committed for 30+ days, those adjudicated mentally incompetent, etc. There would be no criminal data in NICS and a convicted criminal, of any magnitude, would be able to legally buy and possess a firearm upon legally setting foot outside of prison.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    No need to restate, Fabs. I know you are for UBCs on our natural rights and have your reasons. You know that I am for the free exercise of our natural rights and have my reasons. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    No need to restate, Fabs. I know you are for UBCs on our natural rights and have your reasons. You know that I am for the free exercise of our natural rights and have my reasons. I'm not going to change your mind, and you're not going to change mine.

This, we can agree on. So, no need for you to restate either. lol Then again, maybe you had to in order to counter Lazzarus.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So what's looking dead today (and thus for this legislative session)?

- HBAR backward and forward ban
    - Locked storage of unload firearms (MD already has a provision for loaded firearms)

Any others? I realize there is a long gun sales/transfer bill that seeks to force secondary sales to go through a NICS check (and once was a full blown LQL bill) still under revision today. There is also a regulated firearms loan bill on today's agenda. And the disband the HPRB bill will be moving to the governor's office.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Malleovic

Apr 21, 2017
    Maryland
    So what's looking dead today (and thus for this legislative session)?

- HBAR backward and forward ban
    - Locked storage of unload firearms (MD already has a provision for loaded firearms)

Any others? I realize there is a long gun sales/transfer bill that seeks to force secondary sales to go through a NICS check (and once was a full blown LQL bill) still under revision today. There is also a regulated firearms loan bill on today's agenda. And the disband the HPRB bill will be moving to the governor's office.

HB740 (3D Gun Bill) hasn't moved in ages:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb0740&stab=01&ys=2019RS

Madly knocking on wood right now.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    HB740 (3D Gun Bill) hasn't moved in ages:

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmMain.aspx?pid=billpage&tab=subject3&id=hb0740&stab=01&ys=2019RS

Madly knocking on wood right now.
    That's amazing. I'm glad their plate has been full and there's been a protracted debate between the chambers on the remnants of what was once the LQL bill. Otherwise after the secondary long gun sales and HPRB disbanding, yes, I would have thought this one (or some "ghost" gun bill) next in line to push through based on how the hearings went.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    That's amazing. I'm glad their plate has been full and there's been a protracted debate between the chambers on the remnants of what was once the LQL bill. Otherwise after the secondary long gun sales and HPRB disbanding, yes, I would have thought this one (or some "ghost" gun bill) next in line to push through based on how the hearings went.

Weird the one bill Hogan explicitly said he opposed hasn't moved but the rest of them have.

Wonder how this would have turned out if he said he opposed the others.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If it's any consolation to you guys, I don't believe the guy selling "used" guns out of his trunk on Lombard Street cares a bit about this bill. Nor will he be affected at allby it.

The General ASSembly seems quite adept at creating criminals out of thin air...

Cool, I was wondering if this would affect his prices...

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    They've been busy getting things enrolled today.... I struck through dead stuff and made bad things that passed red.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This session was certainly a lesson in ignoring the negativity in fighting against proposed legislation before it becomes law. Some argue that because we are at such a legislative disadvantage in MD that it's useless to fight, contact legislators, testify, make our presence felt through provocative, press grabbing actions, etc - and that monies should be focused on groups to fight afterwards in the courts. I think what we see again is that an ounce of prevention is worth many pounds of cure.

We certainly caught breaks with what I feel was overreach by gun control groups on a bender, a corrupt Baltimore mayor that sucked up headlines, and the sudden demise of the House speaker yesterday that made the many bills and complexity within some of these bills a meal to difficult for the legislative process to digest. But the breaks wouldn't matter if there wasn't a persistent opposition - knowledgeable, organized, and working within the halls (this includes writing/contacting delegates) as well as on the bricks.

MDS, once again, served an important function in helping inform and serving as a place to organize opposition - and the PP, MSI, MSRPA, NRA, MD 2A (John Josselyn), and other advocacy groups (I'm guessing hunting ones contacted legislators too) as well as multiple MDSers and other citizen gun owners helped make this largely successful defense of our 2A rights in MD a reality. When the session first started, it looked like it could be worse than 2013. I'm still in disbelief that there wasn't more damage now that we reached Sine Die.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I've met and spoke with lot of delegates and senators over the last two months. I talked to Gov Hogan today about the banner in the sky. I yelled across the street to AG Frosh. Many of these folks know me by sight now (and even my son). Sen Ready gave me a thumbs up at the end of today's Senate session during the standing ovations on the announcements. I was the only WWNC guy left on that side. The MDAs had walked out by then.

I even had free jumbo shrimp courtesy of the NSSF guy at their party today. (yum!) I met the Ducks Unlimited and AMC Theaters reps. I gifted 4 pocket U.S. Constitutions + Declaration of Independence to special people who engaged us on the bricks today. This is one of the better booklets I've found. I'm ordering a box of 500 the next time I buy.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Thanks for the updated OPs smokey! You've been a huge help for this dunderhead. :thumbsup:

No prob. Now the question I'm asking myself is if I should've saved my day off of work for the senate gun bill day rather than the house. It looked like the senate bills were considered with much more weight than anything originating in the house. By putting the senate gun bill day after the house, the senate pretty much ensured they'd deal with a smaller opposition turnout. I wonder how we could best plan for turnout split between these days in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom