• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soco

May 21, 2012
    Gents:

I can't find any information on camping in MD lands that aren't specifically state parks, but still state land.

Things like wildlife management Ares, or natural environment areas. They allow hiking and hunting, but I'm assuming it's not allowed to do "primitive camping". Is that accurate, or is it allowed if you leave no Trace? I would assume fires are an absolute non starter as well?

There doesn't seem to be any information online on the topic.

Thanks!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For that matter, each State Forest has their rules.
    Fwiw have default dispersed camping .

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I skip trying to camp in MD. George Washington National Forest, or the tons of places in WV all have backcountry camping. I don't want to camp on a gravel pad with a bunch of folks around. I use hiking upward website to plan my trips.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Hike the 550 mile Appalachian Trail in VA, camp where you want (except certain parks). Most of it runs through GWNF.
    On PA Game Lands you have to be a "Through-hiker" meaning you started at one point and are hiking to a different exit point (this is actually in the regulations!). Game Wardens do check but if you go with someone else and park cars at the start and end points you're good to go. Over 220 miles of AT in PA.
    In MD on the AT (42 miles) you have to camp in established sites though, so skip MD.

Another good place is Dolly Sods in WV.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I'm a canoe camper. Very safe and fantastic trips, canoes, 2 adults, 2 teen children.
    Or I did tons of solo overnights. Camped on many an island.

I bet most was illegal.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'm a canoe camper. Very safe and fantastic trips, canoes, 2 adults, 2 teen children.
    Or I did tons of solo overnights. Camped on many an island.

I bet most was illegal.
    The C&O Canal trail makes canoe camping the Potomac easy...along the entire MD shore is a National Park. Of course, you need to watch out for hazardous areas where there are rapids and dams, but there is plenty of information out there on this. Hiker/Biker camps along the trail evey couple of miles.

The Boy Scouts used to have a camp just outside of Hagerstown. They ran weeklong canoe trips from Cumberland back to the camp. All overnights were in C&O trail campsites. The camp was located where Sideling Hill Creek dumped into the Potomac.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    The C&O Canal trail makes canoe camping the Potomac easy.
    Yup, but I chose my own sites, there are Biking companies hogging those sites all too often.
    A nice sand campsite, on an island, steps from the river? Yup, me likee.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yup, but I chose my own sites, there are Biking companies hogging those sites all too often.

You can also go right before or right after the well pumps close for the season. They still work, they just remove the handles so you have to lift the pump body with both hands. I’ve yet to run in to one where I couldn’t get water flowing. That said, most require probably about 60-70lbs of lifting strength (and then do that 8-20 times to get the water starting to flow out of the spigot).

Not a lot of people on the tow paths in western Maryland before/after the season starts and especially not at the campsites.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    NPS at the C&O Canal remove the pump handles during the season when a well tests positive for bacteria. They also don't test the water during the off season. Many of these wells have issues with bacteria so if you're using water from a pump without a handle I would suggest treating it.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    NPS at the C&O Canal remove the pump handles during the season when a well tests positive for bacteria. They also don't test the water during the off season. Many of these wells have issues with bacteria so if you're using water from a pump without a handle I would suggest treating it.

Always a good idea. One thing to mention though is NPS generally treats the wells with iodine. Which doesn’t mean it can have bacterial issues. Just mentioning it in general in case you are particularly sensitive (I tend to get the runs after drinking iodine treated water for about a week).

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Always a good idea. One thing to mention though is NPS generally treats the wells with iodine. Which doesn’t mean it can have bacterial issues. Just mentioning it in general in case you are particularly sensitive (I tend to get the runs after drinking iodine treated water for about a week).

Yes, if you're allergic to shellfish then use caution.

We were at Paw Paw Tunnel campground two weekends ago and the brown water was horrible.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Since when can you camp just anywhere along the C&O Canal? We did this once back in the 80's on a Fri night and were chased out on a Saturday afternoon. Couldn't find an open spot anywhere else, so ended up going back home. It was around the Sandy Hook area.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    MY OP was about camping on Islands. Where I CANOE CAMP.
    I made that clear. I thought.

Since when can you camp just anywhere along the C&O Canal?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    MY OP was about camping on Islands. Where I CANOE CAMP.
    I made that clear. I thought.

Since when can you camp just anywhere along the C&O Canal?
    In my post, I didn't say you could camp anywhere. My point was anywhere you land on the MD side is a National Park, and camps were located every few miles. Unlike, the other side where you might get shot for trespassing on private land, especially the most western portions.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md

A few years ago,I researched the legalities of staying over night on the islands.I was wanting to night fish and get a couple of hours sleep before driving home.

I was told the islands are part of the C and O Canal ,which is owned by Md.The NPS is in charge of all of it.You can be there anytime day or night,but get caught camping on an island,in any manner,and you will be fined heavily.:sad20:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The C&O Canal is owned by the NPS aka Federal Gov't . Not all of the land between the Canal and the river is part of the Park , some is privately owned, some of it being farmed .

And for today's little-known trivia - The former Western Maryland Railroad right of way in that stretch is Owned by NPS . Yes , including the portions on WV side of the river . Nominally administered as part of C&O Canal Park , no plans to develop anything for forseeable future . But yes , you have access to at least hike it .

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I was told the islands are part of the C and O Canal ,which is owned by Md.The NPS is in charge of all of it.
    You can be there anytime day or night,but get caught camping on an island,in any manner,and you will be fined heavily.
    You were told incorrectly Harrison's Island is privately owned, and the best campsite below Brunswick is on a private island.
    There are others. I have camped all along the Potomac for 30 years, mostly on Islands.
    NO Mosquitoes.
    Good Fishing.
    Have Canoe, Will travel. I would be WAAY too nervous camping at those C+O campsites.

Plus I said BIKE TRAVEL companies send runners out to snag those sites for people riding from Harper's Ferry, or Cumberland, or the other direction, from DC.
    They make Chef quality meals, and charge a ton and camp for free.
    I actually got this from one of those guys, out of his mouth.
    It's as bad, if you ever take your canoe off MacArthur Blvd, across from Angler's inn is a Put -In.
    This a-hole company not only take up too many parking spots..(ok, no biggie),
    but they have an A-hole with a Bullhorn.. on a rock, barking out training 'Attaboys' and instructions
    to the paying clients.

This is an extremely scenic area, great for whitewater canoe playing, and great fishing - smallies, Large mouths,
    I've caught even Walleye there on white jigs, so near tidewater - unusual. 50+ feet of water in this Gorge.
    And these A-holes with bullhorn. You see kinda cliffs and a huge rock in the middle and actually Difficult Run stream flows into the Potomac on the left corner facing upstream, the river makes a huge turn there and
    it is gorgeous.
    [you can drive on Georgetown pike in VA and there is a very small parking space so you could hike down 'Difficult Run'. Pretty steep, and scenic.]
    I should pull a Michael Douglas in "Falling Down" on that bullhorn guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom