• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I just got a new CZ457 17HMR Varmint last month and put a Vortex Viper scope on it. Can someone make a recommendation on what distance for zeroing? I was thinking 50yards. I don't know the trajectory of the 17HMR but I hear it is very flat out to 100yrs. I have put a few rounds through the gun but had some issues seeing the holes on the target at distance because of the small bullet.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I just got a new CZ457 17HMR Varmint last month and put a Vortex Viper scope on it. Can someone make a recommendation on what distance for zeroing? I was thinking 50yards. I don't know the trajectory of the 17HMR but I hear it is very flat out to 100yrs. I have put a few rounds through the gun but had some issues seeing the holes on the target at distance because of the small bullet.

Scroll down to see calculator.

http://www.varmintal.com/17hmr.htm

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    By looking at the calculator it appears the trajectory is pretty flat to 100yds. But I still don't understand the best yardage to zero or does it really matter that much?

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    By looking at the calculator it appears the trajectory is pretty flat to 100yds. But I still don't understand the best yardage to zero or does it really matter that much?

Do 10 yards first and then bring out to 100 yards.

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Do you shoot 17? and is this how you got zero on yours?

My cousin has one. We went to indoor range. That was where he started at. If you shoot outdoor, you may want longer distance if you hunt; 50 yards to start?

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    My CZ452 .17HMR is zero'd at 100 yards. Love it, but beware those holes are mighty small and can be hard to see. Ultimately though, your intended usage needs to be a factor in your decision of where to zero.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I started out my Savage 17 HMR at 50 yards, couldn't see the holes either. Then moved out to 100. I'm thinking about getting a better spotting scope! Next time I take her out I'm going to see what I can do at 200

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I love shooting my 22LR and I have a friend that has a 17. He talked me into mine. I found the CZ in my local shop one day and just decided to get it. I really love it but see it as a specific use gun like hunting varmint. I don't hunt. My range trip with it was a challenge due to the fact that I couldn't see the holes at distance. Will I be able to hear 17 hit steel at distance? I bought a few of those orange self healing balls to try next outing.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm wondering if a decent spotting scope and some of those splatter targets would be the way to go? Might be easier to see those teeny tiny holes?

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I use splatter targets. Didn't help much. my scope is 4x16x50 and that didn't help to much. My binoculars that I always use are 8x30. I think I might need to invest in a nice spotting scope. Guess I will put that on my want list and start researching. I am kind of partial to Vortex. I'm sure they have one that will do the trick. Any thoughts on the power I should consider?

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I zeroed mine at 100 yards. Most pests, small game, and targets I shoot hover around there. Had it for years never changed.

My scope is a weaver 3x9 but get what you think will help you the most. Spotting scope is one of the best investments I ever made.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I prefer to zero a varmint rifle for its maximum point blank range (MPBR), allowing a 1.5" deviation above and below the line of sight. Accordingly, I sight-in my .17 HMR rifle to hit 1.5" high at 100 yards with the 17 Grain V-MAX bullet at a catalog MV of 2550 fps. This means the bullet hits dead on at 145 yards and about 1.5" low at 165 yards, for a MPBR (+/- 1.5") of 165 yards. At 200 yards you will need to hold 5.5" above the desired point of impact.

From post on Rimfire Central.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I think I just need some more time behind the gun at the range to determine the right distance to zero. 17 is new to me and I really don't know at this point how I will most utilize it.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    From post on Rimfire Central.

This in my mind is ideal for a fox or groundhog hunter. That 3 inch circle also coincides nicely with the practical reality of this little round rapidly running out of energy out past 150 yards or so. Good also for someone shooting 100 yard targets for groups, and doesn't want to obscure their aimpoint. The 17 HMR is a whole lot of fun, and (in low wind conditions) can drive tacks.

dink

Mar 30, 2014
    Another vote for the 100yd zero. Most varmints I'm tagging are within that, and I like to be well within an inch (squirrel head shot). I have a CZ453 varmint with a 4-12x Leupold....it's less than 1/2MOA with 17gr Hornady. And it's dropped a groundhog dead on the spot at 205yds with an 8" holdover ;). If I'm planning on 150+ shots, the 22-250 comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom