• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Leupold VX-Freedom EFR 3-9x33 Fine, Model: 175075

This scope is what I'd be inclined to look at. It is supposedly due to be available next month. Should be selling in the $350 range. Maybe a bit less.

You have yourself a nice rifle there with that RPR. Consider putting a nice scope on it.

For what it's worth, I was for years one to skimp on scopes for rimfires. I'd say "it's just a .22". Then later, rather than sooner unfortunately, it occured to me that I was grabbing my "just a .22", almost every time I went to the range.

Nice to be able to see.
    Especially when I'm shooting it the most.

Just a thought. Good Luck!

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    omg i'm such a dummy, i just realized that the RPR 22LR came with a 30 MOA base......

need to order a 0 MOA base....

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I just mounted a scope on mine tonight. I used a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 I had laying around. I changed the rail out to a 0 MOA rail because I am only shooting at home in the yard from 25 - 75 yards. With that scope and 0 MOA rail I used Extra-High scope rings I had laying around, Weaver Tactical 99690. I should have been able to use High scope rings but I didn't have any of those laying around. Mediums wouldn't work. When I take it to the range I will be shooting out to 200 yards so I will leave this set-up on the rifle.

000 scope.jpg

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    No problem, it’s fun. Thanks for trying to get your daughter into shooting! If she likes it, bring her to an Appleseed :)

I love this community when it works like this - you have gotten a lot of great advice and recommendations from everyone who posted. Cool to see it in action.

Best of luck!

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    I just mounted a scope on mine tonight. I used a Mueller APV 4.5-14x40 I had laying around. I changed the rail out to a 0 MOA rail because I am only shooting at home in the yard from 25 - 75 yards. With that scope and 0 MOA rail I used Extra-High scope rings I had laying around, Weaver Tactical 99690. I should have been able to use High scope rings but I didn't have any of those laying around. Mediums wouldn't work. When I take it to the range I will be shooting out to 200 yards so I will leave this set-up on the rifle.

View attachment 305832

where'd you buy the 0 MOA base from? cheapest i've round was 20 bucks

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Ill 2nd the Mueller option. Had one on a 17. Not crystal clear on high power but for the price you can't expect it to be. As a new shooter she won't even tell. My luepold 2-7 is slightly clearer but I preferred the Mueller for the extra magnification

jmb122mp

Nov 2, 2016
    Great thread... a lot of very useful information. Thanks everyone.

There was mention of cantilever mounts for rimfire. What are reasonable choices for cantilever rimfire mounts?

I've been to two Appleseed events now... I definitely plan to attend more. As a relatively new shooter, I have learned a lot from them.

"For what it's worth, I was for years one to skimp on scopes for rimfires. I'd say "it's just a .22". Then later, rather than sooner unfortunately, it occured to me that I was grabbing my "just a .22", almost every time I went to the range."

This is worth a lot to me. I started with a cheap (but I think good) Simmons scope. I switched to iron sights for Appleseed and plan to return to a scope some time this year. I've been debating whether to upgrade my rimfire scope. Your advise is spot-on for why I should upgrade... at least for my case.

Cheers,

Jim

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    Great thread... a lot of very useful information. Thanks everyone.

There was mention of cantilever mounts for rimfire. What are reasonable choices for cantilever rimfire mounts?

Jim, first, glad to hear you have been to some Appleseed events. Qualifying with irons is harder, but it makes the journey more rewarding.

In terms of cantilever mounts for rimfire, I have experience with two different solutions. I really only use them on my Tippmann AR-style 22s - for 10/22s I prefer to use an extended rail and rings because a cantilever increases height over bore. You then need a higher cheek riser (which is fine) but I would rather keep everything as low as possible.

The first solution I tried was a Monstrum slim 1" cantilever mount for a Tippmann with a Primary Arms 6X Classic scope. It has held zero and not come loose through multiple Appleseeds and shooting trips. Totally fine for $30.

uc

For my Tippmann with a Nikon 3-9X EFR scope, I decided to get a better mount. I went with the Nikon M-223 XR mount - it has 20 MOA built into it for long range rimfire (200 yard) shooting. I paid $53 for it on Amazon but since Nikon is no longer in the scope and mount game, it seems to be $70-100 when in stock from a quick search. Also solid and has held zero. You could also use something like an Aero Precision ultralight at about $70-85 if you didn't need the 20 MOA rise.

uc

While I have more expensive mounts on other rifles, rimfires have almost no recoil and aren't critical for home defense or whatever. So unless you are competing at the highest levels, you don't have to go nuts. Now if you have a SCAR-17, don't skimp...or it will kill your optic.

As for why you would want a better optic for rimfire - agree with all that has been said. I don't think you need a Vortex Razor or anything, but $200-300 will get you a GREAT rimfire scope. The main thing I would recommend is to have enough scope - magnification, clarity, brightness, tracking, elevation range, parallax, reticle, etc. - for up to 200 yards. Beyond that, seems like you are adding a lot of weight and cost for not a lot of benefit unless you are competing.

With Appleseed 50-200 yard rimfire known distance events, I have seen scopes fail at that distance - we have had them literally break internally when people bottom or top them out elevation-wise. Or have tracking so bad, you can't make consistent adjustments or come back to zero. A scope good enough for that event and range will typically be good enough for anything else you want to do.

Frankly, with most centerfire rifles you can shoot 25-400 yards without doing any sight adjustments once zeroed (just using hold overs). So that is where rimfire is actually MORE demanding.

That's not to say I don't have scopes that are cheaper (including Simmons) or not set up for long range. Just that if you want one rifle to rule them all, get enough scope too :)

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    I second the mention of Mueller scopes for an entry level 22LR. Magnification is a preference thing (I like higher), but a variable power scope is recommended, as is a parallax adjustment ring (focus), especially for focusing on shorter distances. Where you can save a good bit of cash is to pick up a set of rings, bases and bubble level from eBay. These units (yes - usually made in China) are very low cost and function every bit as well as the ridiculously priced "brand name" rings, bases and bubble levels. I've been using these products for years on multiple rifles, from22LR's to 308's, in including full competition BR rigs.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    This is my set-up as of yesterday: 0-moa base, Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 with Weaver Tactical Extra High rings. I didn't care for the Mueller APV I was using so I picked up the Vortex for a great price at the show. I'm mainly shooting 25-75 yards at the house. When I go to the range 50-100. Just a plinker

000 scope.jpg

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    This is my set-up as of yesterday: 0-moa base, Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 with Weaver Tactical Extra High rings. I didn't care for the Mueller APV I was using so I picked up the Vortex for a great price at the show. I'm mainly shooting 25-75 yards at the house. When I go to the range 50-100. Just a plinker

View attachment 306032

i wish the crossfire had a slightly higher mag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom