• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Ok, I’m doing this. I have a metal cabinet like this for my ammo, and those keys are a PIA.

One of my keys for the thing snapped off in the lock. Pain to remove, and I am babying the remaining key until I get something else. They keys seem to be cheap too.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I just got one of these from Wallymart. Price was right and shipping is included.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stack-On...us-Portable-Case-Value-Savings-of-29/55662417

FWIW, I have that exact cabinet. I just went downstairs and measured it. Mine has plastic rifle holders instead of foam, but exact same dimensions. External Dimensions: (W X D X H)
    21 x 18 x 55″

Just wanted to put it out there, unless it is old style rifles and shotguns, no scopes or optics, 22 is a big maybe. ARs, modern sporting rifles, pistol grip shotguns, and optics, I don't see 22 fitting in there. At least in mine. The keys are weak. My locking mechanism bound up, and snapped the key as I was turning it. I have one left. Not sure why, nothing was caught in the mechanism. The sheet metal is thin, but otherwise, it is decent at keeping the kids out of it. It is ok, but I need a bigger cabinet soon. Good price though, so if you need something, a good buy

This has been a public service announcement.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    well at least

Actually they did. I traded for it so it got hit with sanitizer so there is some residue left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least it is not one of those take a pic and have a naked reflection like that one that happened in the past. Think the dude took a pic of a tea pot or something. lol.

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    FTVOGUE Code Security Lock Touch Digital Keypad Electronic Deadbolt Lock Password Key Access Lock Security Cabinet Coded Locker (L=20)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H85S8CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_ruq6FbRH8D92P?psc=1

That’s the one I would get. I got the l30 and it’s a little loose

I ordered the L=20 yesterday and got it in the mail today. Kind of bummed that it didn't come with a battery and also, it looks like it has a micro-USB port on the side that doesn't show up in the pictures in the ad or documentation. I wonder what that is for.

platekiller

Ultimate Member
    Jun 7, 2011
    Martinsburg, WV
    I ordered the L=20 yesterday and got it in the mail today. Kind of bummed that it didn't come with a battery and also, it looks like it has a micro-USB port on the side that doesn't show up in the pictures in the ad or documentation. I wonder what that is for.

Oh snap. I forgot about the battery. We have a couple we keep on hand since several things use them. I’ll have to look as I don’t recall mine having a usb port

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    My walmart cabinet showed up quickly, and in fine condition. It'll get bolted to the studs and is more than enough to keep my kids away from stuff.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Youse guys! I can’t even swing through here on a quiet Sunday evening wo it costing me, haha! I just ordered one to secure to studs in a out of sight corner of the workshop as a temp (very temp) secure spot and I’ll likely rip out and throw away those foam strips and do what I‘ve always done inside all our metal interior safes / cabinets:

Use a hole saw to row down a piece of 1x5 (or 6?), rip it down the middle, smooth the half circles w sandpaper, wipe w denatured alcohol, apply adhesive backed 1” felt and then attach cabinet magnets to the back to make racks I can move up and down (high for normal rifles and shotguns; mid-height for carbines and low for braced pistols, sbr’s etc.)

LOL, I’d be rather snagged the OP’s free one but, as mentioned, if it gets here in one piece it’ll be worth the piece of mind when visiting kids are loose, etc.

PS - not knowing about the cool keypad hack, a friend whose a locksmith makes us extra copies of all the drum keys we have for these StackOn’s (not a lot per copy and def worth the peace of mind as UNdependable as those keys can prove!)

Attachments

• BA74BE5A-F0CC-4A1C-8FC9-1DC01CD08B66.jpeg
      BA74BE5A-F0CC-4A1C-8FC9-1DC01CD08B66.jpeg
      29 KB · Views: 220
    Last edited:

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    Oh snap. I forgot about the battery. We have a couple we keep on hand since several things use them. I’ll have to look as I don’t recall mine having a usb port

Here is what the side of mine looks like. It has a little plug that covers the port:

20210104_124358-scaled.jpg

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Just following up; I have to re-order and get the 30mm version of that digital keypad lock - based on the StackOn cabinet I received (ordered via the link posted by SquareGrouper up thread - Thank You Very Much!)

- I went to install the 20mm last night and all went well (even drilling the two 3.3mm “anchor screw” holes at their precise and respective points!) and dang if the 20mm shaft does NOT project quite far enough into the cabinet interior for the locking “paddle” to clear the inside edge of the interior doorframe!

Figure I can find a way to shim one surface or another to take out any “slack” in using the 30mm ... we shall see!

As soon as it dries up outside I intend to set to work fabricatingbsome padded barrel rests and trashing the adhesive-backed foam barrel rests that came with the cabinet ...

Still, and again, Thanks! “platekiller” for the heads up on this digital option!

FTVOGUE Code Security Lock Touch Digital Keypad Electronic Deadbolt Lock Password Key Access Lock Security Cabinet Coded Locker (L=20)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H85S8CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_ruq6FbRH8D92P?psc=1

That’s the one I would get. I got the l30 and it’s a little loose

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Update: okay, on the $139 StackOn I received via WalMart (with portable lock box included) the 30mm keypad lock fit and works perfectly (obviously some minor variation between “runs” of cabinets or something).

Also got my “modular” barrel rests finished and inside the cabinet - these allow me to move bbl rests as needed for “regular” long guns (“tall” 26”-32” shotguns, bolt rifles, etc.); mid-height for 16” carbines and 20” rifles and LOW for braced pistols, folding K’kov variants, etc.

I really want to thank whomever it was that posted these $139 WM.com cabinets up (iirc, Welder? :party29: ) - they are EGG-ZACKLY what we needed for my shop in basement as, during warmer months we have all manner of guests running through the basement to and from the dock, restroom runs, sandwich runs, etc. and this REALLY solves my PIA of constantly having to run one or more guns up 2 levels to the permanent vault even though I was only partway through working on it/them, etc.

Not to mention is makes for a shorter run when the occasional copperhead pops up! :thumbsup: :cool:

Attachments

• FC6704AF-6E98-417D-8A57-06635F0B244C.jpeg
      FC6704AF-6E98-417D-8A57-06635F0B244C.jpeg
      36 KB · Views: 139
    • 2531BDD7-9EE6-41CD-9F70-A75C41D3BF82.jpeg
      2531BDD7-9EE6-41CD-9F70-A75C41D3BF82.jpeg
      39.6 KB · Views: 148
    • 636DDF0E-405F-4FBF-8B15-9D1409C61217.jpeg
      636DDF0E-405F-4FBF-8B15-9D1409C61217.jpeg
      35.3 KB · Views: 153

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts