• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    And when everyone gets used to the new normal and doesn't bother to learn the old way of doing things they become completely dependent on technology. Battery goes dead and you're screwed.
    The joke that a manual transmission is a great theft deterrent is funny for a reason. It's true.
    I'll accept new tech but damn if I won't try to learn the old batteries not needed way also.
    Blind adherence to the next new thing can also become a self defeating circle jerk.

1. If you're worried about batteries, buy an ACOG or dual illuminated optic (tritium and fiber optic)
    2. Nowhere have I said that you shouldn't learn or have the irons available if necessary.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    1. If you're worried about batteries, buy an ACOG or dual illuminated optic (tritium and fiber optic)

I'm a cheap prick. Won't happen.

2. Nowhere have I said that you shouldn't learn or have the irons available if necessary.

True enough.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    Hm this discussion has me definitely appreciating the M4 configuration more. So far people agree that it is vastly more durable and reliable no question because of battle testing and milspec. Whereas the second "Modern, Full Railed" AR is just a civilian development with better handling for competition and range use. Not as durable, but still very reliable and good for duty use as long as not abusive. So far only one person really vouched that with the better handling and attachment options it is an improvement overall. Though like someone here said the "Modern, Full Railed" AR will be the new norm. I will caveat that statement with if people really desire that, experienced shooter, or know what they want will go with the "Modern, Full Railed" configuration. Namely because that AR config look like they have too much going on and tend to be more expensive. Whereas the M4 config is proven, works, lest costly, and ready to go out of the box. Good for the newbie and professional alike.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Hm this discussion has me definitely appreciating the M4 configuration more. So far people agree that it is vastly more durable and reliable no question because of battle testing and milspec. Whereas the second "Modern, Full Railed" AR is just a civilian development with better handling for competition and range use. Not as durable, but still very reliable and good for duty use as long as not abusive. So far only one person really vouched that with the better handling and attachment options it is an improvement overall. Though like someone here said the "Modern, Full Railed" AR will be the new norm. I will caveat that statement with if people really desire that, experienced shooter, or know what they want will go with the "Modern, Full Railed" configuration. Namely because that AR config look like they have too much going on and tend to be more expensive. Whereas the M4 config is proven, works, lest costly, and ready to go out of the box. Good for the newbie and professional alike.

What exactly is less reliable on an AR with a rail? The functional components are the upper, lower, buffer tube, gas block/tube. None of those really change with the exception of a mid-length gas system instead of a carbine gas system for less recoil and wear on parts with the "newer" rifle. Most of these newer recce-type rifles are at least up to "milspec" and many offer production advantages over the universal military minimum standard.

The stock/rail/grip are largely costmetic/ergonomic changes that have nothing to do with reliability. The only "reliability" issue is if you're mounting a back up iron on the rail and bash the rail hard enough to bend it. These rifles are meant to be used with an optic such as a red dot or 1-4/1-6/1-8 scope....which is mounted to the upper.

These optics are incredibly durable and reliable these days. There's also alternative back-up sighting options such as canted irons mounted to the upper or canted reflex sights that aren't subject to losing zero if the handguard flexes/bends.

Theoretically, you can swing the rifle like a baseball bat and completely crush the handguard flat against the barrel, but it won't effect reliability(provided you don't f-up the gas tube...which would be hard to do since the top of most handguards is the strongest part due to the rail up there).

Saying these are less reliable is not true.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Pretty much what Smokey said. Unless you envision using your handguard as a prybar or go for the super dooper lightweight balsa wood forends (hyperbole) or the cheap Chi-com forends you're not gonna face any issues.

For most end users. The 2nd AR will suit their needs better and their situations better.

Mil-Spec is a STANDARD, not a Holy Grail. It provides a reliable, basic carbine. There is better than mil spec, less than mil spec and equal to mil spec. For example, barrels, mil spec barrels are chrome lined 1 in 7 twist with a 5.56 NATO chamber. This is to provide reliability for full auto fire and to stabilize tracer rounds. A nitrided, 1 in 8 twist chamber will suit most citizens needs quite well as far as stabilizing rounds and protecting against corrosion. Myself, I would skip the chrome lining and go for the nitrided pretty much every day of the week unless someone said "here's a Class III lower and over there is the Talibananas, or the Viet Cong. We'll pick you up in a few months".

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Pretty much what Smokey said. Unless you envision using your handguard as a prybar or go for the super dooper lightweight balsa wood forends (hyperbole) or the cheap Chi-com forends you're not gonna face any issues.

For most end users. The 2nd AR will suit their needs better and their situations better.

Mil-Spec is a STANDARD, not a Holy Grail. It provides a reliable, basic carbine. There is better than mil spec, less than mil spec and equal to mil spec. For example, barrels, mil spec barrels are chrome lined 1 in 7 twist with a 5.56 NATO chamber. This is to provide reliability for full auto fire and to stabilize tracer rounds. A nitrided, 1 in 8 twist chamber will suit most citizens needs quite well as far as stabilizing rounds and protecting against corrosion. Myself, I would skip the chrome lining and go for the nitrided pretty much every day of the week unless someone said "here's a Class III lower and over there is the Talibananas, or the Viet Cong. We'll pick you up in a few months".

and if you do envision using your rifle as a baseball bat against a big wooden column....bending the shite out of the lightweight handguard in the process... it'll still work just fine with that bent to crap handguard.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The busted and bent rails were dropped, not abused intentionally. I didnt say is would render the gun so it cant fire. I said it will change zero if its the only sighting system.

I have seen enough of it to consider it a possibility that an accident will render rail mounted front sights useless unless you can re-zero.

Last edited:
    Feb 28, 2013

Here's to hopin' that statement ain't made right here on American soil someday. :beer:

I worry about that, so gimme what I know's been battle proven.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013

Attachments

• skinny handguards+2__-2_tonemapped bw.jpg
      skinny handguards+2__-2_tonemapped bw.jpg
      109.2 KB · Views: 190

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Long handguards are not just for bashing into trees and mounting bent up iron sights, they allow you to put your support hand further out and better control the muzzle to shoot faster, also more sling support and retention options and grip options. Poster earlier about training and purpose making a big difference, and it does, without that consideration declaring one better than the other doesn't mean anything. There is no question a basic uniform rifle to go with basic uniform training has it's merits, but in capable hands the 2nd rifle will put shots on target faster than the 1st. Put that support hand up and out, work the uncluttered optic, and learn to use a long rail and optic to your advantage. Sure your rail can get bent, and throw off a rail mounted front sight, doesn't matter much though if you have good armorer support, or can deal with the possibility of a bent sight after your optic goes down, or a bent/missing/broken rear sight on either rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom