• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle Man

Mar 17, 2013
    I'm trying to decide between the Kel Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. Any opinions? I already own a P11 and have nothing but good things to say about it.

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    .380 is a "bare minimum" caliber for self-defense. A 9mm would be better. The LCP is a "bad breath" distance gun with a terrible trigger. If you have your heart set on a .380, check out a Bersa.

WheelHead

Head of the wheel
    Dec 6, 2011
    Snow Hill
    Take a look at SIG's P238. I've got one and it's a neat little banger, like a miniature 1911. It's actually a copy of Colt's Mustang. Most of the parts interchange.

+1

And I just ordered a P938 just have to wait for that damn roster to change.

Ultimate Member
    I'm trying to decide between the Kel Tec P3AT and the Ruger LCP. Any opinions? I already own a P11 and have nothing but good things to say about it.

get a 9mm.

.380 is useless unless you want a historic one or something.

Get a S&W shield in 9mm, trust me.

Beretta nano is ok, but I think that the S&W shield is the best pocket gun out there, that or KAHR.

I did buy an LCP and have a lot of small handguns. The subcompacts (XDs, glock 26) are just a little too big. single stacks just feel better and S&W is the best in this dept.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010

To answer your question... In comparison the two both are nearly identical twins and the difference in features are few. The LCP has a lock back and the P3AT does not. Personally, I prefer the LCP over the P3AT in the looks department. And the Ruger company is top notch in customer support.

In the end either will do the job of up close and personal defense. Hornady Critical Defense ammo is a good round for these pocket pieces. And there are others that are much hotter that are also good for the job.

Go with what ever your taste and wallet tells you. Either will be a good "eye, ear, nose and throat" piece.

You're not going to win any long shot competitions with either but that isn't what they are made for anyway. These are great for concealment and come as quite a surprise to anyone who did not expect it to be there when you needed it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!

This is my niche. Just based on what you said I'd go with LCP, although p3at is ok now too; these are nearly identical guns.

What's your intended purpose for it, how often do you plan to train and how adverse to recoil are you? Much mouse gun experience?

I generally recommend a slightly larger single stack 9mm in this category, like Kahr, Nano, m&p shield, there's a bunch now.

Tiny guns are easy to carry, hard to shoot.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    .380 is a "bare minimum" caliber for self-defense. A 9mm would be better. The LCP is a "bad breath" distance gun with a terrible trigger. If you have your heart set on a .380, check out a Bersa.

Love my Bersa. yes, I have a S & W M&P 9mm, so I don't "need" a .380, but I didn't "need" the M&P either! :)

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I've got a Sig P238 SAS and it's a great little shooter and easily concealable, I'd rather carry my Springfield micro compact 45ACP for stopping power, but the little 380 is better than carrying a rock.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex

This x100!!

love my Bersa 380 its the best thing Bersa makes!

pablo

Backpfeifengesicht
    Oct 13, 2009
    Baltimore City
    Take a look at SIG's P238. I've got one and it's a neat little banger, like a miniature 1911. It's actually a copy of Colt's Mustang. Most of the parts interchange.

This. P238 is a great piece. Mine came with a decent holster. Slap the Hogue grips on it w/finger grooves.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I have the Ruger LCP with the Lasermax Laser and even with my shaky hands, I can hit a bulls-eye at 75 ft at On Target.

With that said, it is not a fun gun to shoot. The trigger is way too long for plinking or fun target shooting and the gun is way too light to shoot more than a 100 rounds or so without beating up your hand.

The Lasermax Laser is the best I've seen on a small gun. Your index finger slides across it (ambidextrous) to put it on as you pull it from your holster. The gun itself fits easily in your pocket (with a holster to hide print through) and weighs about the same as a good sized wallet.

Hornady and Buffalo Bore make good ammo for .380 ACP and that's what I have loaded. A couple 90Gr Hornady Critical Defense loads with the rest as Buffalo Bore 100Gr +P FN hardcast.

Just remember, a .380 in your pocket is always better than a .45 a block away in your car.

poppop02

Nov 14, 2012
    Severn
    I have the Sig P232 and it has a very nice feel and works great. Using it to get the wife comfortable handling a pistol

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom