• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Is there a "Big Book of inletting dimensions" for most popular American made firearms??
    If not, is the dimensions/diagrams typically available from manufactures?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks, I was making sure I was not missing something.
    So basically, acquire a factory stock, check for fitment, and produce "as-built" specs from that.

Acquire stock, try fitting inletting fitting black, alter to fit, repeat.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    New stocks from blanks, without having the firearm in my possession.

I would look into some scrap stocks and text first, then look into picking up a few tools to use along the way.
    You will need at the minimum, a quality set of chisels and gouges, in-letting screws and a way to lamp black or soot the metal components.
    As your work progresses you can add files, scrapers and barrel bedding scrapers.

Eventually you will want to learn how to checker and build a checkering cradle or learn how to add in other exterior components like inlays and escutcheons or do other modifications/ improvements yourself.
    "Stocking up" is rewarding and fun.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Thanks, Hate to break with tradition,,But CNC carving laminated stocks.
    Working on a CNC 4 axis carver.
    I have an older large US made Laser table,, will probably set that up to do some "etching".
    But right now my goal is to get the design down and the 4 axis carver built.
    I was just wondering about inletting

I would look into some scrap stocks and text first, then look into picking up a few tools to use along the way.
    You will need at the minimum, a quality set of chisels and gouges, in-letting screws and a way to lamp black or soot the metal components.
    As your work progresses you can add files, scrapers and barrel bedding scrapers.

Eventually you will want to learn how to checker and build a checkering cradle or learn how to add in other exterior components like inlays and escutcheons or do other modifications/ improvements yourself.
    "Stocking up" is rewarding and fun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thanks, Hate to break with tradition,,But CNC carving laminated stocks.
    Working on a CNC 4 axis carver.
    I have an older large US made Laser table,, will probably set that up to do some "etching".
    But right now my goal is to get the design down and the 4 axis carver built.
    I was just wondering about inletting

No problem with tradition that's for the smiths. I would like to see you get something up and running.
    If it works out we need good stocks for all the popular milsurps.
    Leave a lot of wood in the areas that make them shoot so they can be fit correctly.
    Thats where the in-letting and hand fitting comes in.

RetiredArmyGuy

Jan 16, 2018
    Pasadena, MD
    You can pick up factory stocks on eBay pretty cheap and use them for your basic calculations/measurements. You can also find prints of most actions and barrels on the internet unless you are trying to make stocks for older stuff.

Laminate stocks from Boyd’s will also get you basic specs as well. They have most firearm specs on hand. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

I normally fit the stock to the specific firearm on hand and do it traditionally so CNCing them is out of my wheelhouse.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    Thanks for the ideas.
    The whole idea is to make laminated stocks that are not typ available: Laminated Thumbhole for a MIA Tanker?

Building the machine is straight forward, I have scratch built some 3D printers and reworked an older lser cutter.
    The hardest part is going to be - Becoming proficient in 3D CAD,, and learning how to manipulate the CAM to provide the tool path I want.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    It is theoretically possible to use the input from a laser scanner or a coordinate measuring machine of the actual rifle to generate a custom 3D CAD model and use that to generate the CNC tool path. You could probably come close to hand fitted precision if you knew what allowances to make for clearance/interference that an experienced stock fitter uses in fitting that specific model rifle. The technology, equipment and software to do those things are available.

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I had looked at gathering up a bunch of stocks and taking them to get "3D scanned".
    But my end goal is custom laminated stocks for guns that typ they are not available. So I would still need to alter the design in a 3D CAD program.
    And that is were I am weak, in proficiency on 3D CAD.

It is theoretically possible to use the input from a laser scanner or a coordinate measuring machine of the actual rifle to generate a custom 3D CAD model and use that to generate the CNC tool path. You could probably come close to hand fitted precision if you knew what allowances to make for clearance/interference that an experienced stock fitter uses in fitting that specific model rifle. The technology, equipment and software to do those things are available.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom