• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    My bud called yesterday to see if I wanted to go plinking? He has a dozen or so renditions and models of the Ruger 10/22. Probably the most prolific owner of 10/22s i have seen and they are the only guns he owns. His most coolest 10/22, is one made as a pistol. It has a 12 inch barrel, custom made stock, an extended magazine and a scope. I would show you pictures but he will not allow it. So I have a basic plain Jane 10/22 wood stock and a SST barrel and OEM sites which I picked up over 25 years ago.

He said he was short on ammo and only had about 500 rounds. I told him I was well stocked and would supply the ammo as he was supplying the shooting area. He asked me if I was willing to trade some ammo I asked what did you have in mind. He had several 25 round magazines, some scopes and mounts some slings and military iron M16 style sights. Well I did end up getting a 25 round magazine and a set of military sites for a few boxes of HP LRs.

We had a good time shooting, at 200 yards he was just hammering the targets, me hitting them but not very consistently with my iron sites. I did much better at 100 yards.

He has done some amazing things with the 10/22. He was an civilian aviation machinist before he retired some years back. He is very private, is not on any social media, uses the cheapest flip phone he can buy and does not even have a computer. He uses the phone book and calls the gun shops to order stuff and pays by credit card, or cash if in stock. He will drive just about any where to get what he needs. He said, "I am retired and have nothing but time". He told me he retired because they were going to computerize things and he would need to be trained on the systems. He then retired with in 6 months. He does not even have a TV just a radio and reads the news paper.

I Just finished up taking down my 10/22 and putting it back together My bud has the sights and will be installing them for me as he has every tool you could imagine for a 10/22.

Attachments

• 10-22.jpg
      10-22.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 361

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    That sounds like tons of fun! I think you will enjoy the upgrade over the stock sights.

10/22s are like ARs in your ability to mod them in all kinds of specialized ways while still retaining core part compatibility due to significant aftermarket support. Add in the Takedown and Charger (and Takedown Charger) configurations and there is very little you can't do. When S&P Outfitters was selling stripped receivers, I wish I had bought a few more for "projects." They aren't perfect, but you can work toward it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You might want to put your location in your profile.

I hope that you were NOT in MD when you got the 25 round mags from him.

And I hope he made the 10/22 pistol from a bare receiver and not from buying a rifle and converting it.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I'm with you guys on this one. I just love shooting my 22. I bought the Ruger basic wood stock model and installed Kidd parts. The only thing original is the receiver, stock, and barrel. I put a Bushnell try-25 red dot on it and it shoots incredible. I have been debating on putting a bull barrel on along with a MagPul x22 hunter stock on but there is something about messing with something that already seems so damn good. My guess is a new bull barrel with improve the accuracy but will add more weight. Maybe I should just build a new rifle or buy one already done. Bass Pro Shops has a Volquartzen VM22 that is really nice but with a price tag of around $1300. That just seems so much for a 22 but I am actually thinking about it because I love shooting them so much. Would any of you be willing to spend that much on a 22?

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth

And I hope he made the 10/22 pistol from a bare receiver and not from buying a rifle and converting it.

Pinecone, no disrespect towards you, but none of that is any of our business or concern. Each person here is responsible for their own actions. Unless someone is seeking guidance in regards to laws and rules, to which I will point them to verified references and those who are more knowledge, I have decided to stay mum.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I LOVE my three 10/22s (one is the wife's, a Target Model), another Mannlicher (walnut, not birch) and this one, my favorite;
    SBJ1lc3.jpg

Very nice, my bud has one that looks an Uzi and one that looks like the old tommy guns too. I may need to expand my hobby.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Pinecone, no disrespect towards you, but none of that is any of our business or concern. Each person here is responsible for their own actions. Unless someone is seeking guidance in regards to laws and rules, to which I will point them to verified references and those who are more knowledge, I have decided to stay mum.

Thanks, no worries and for those with inquiring minds he is a licensed gunsmith but, only does work for himself and a few friends.

What distinguishes gunsmithing from manufacturing is the purpose for which the work is done. If a gunsmith performs work on a customer’s personal gun for the customer’s personal use, the function is lawfully performed pursuant to the gunsmith’s license as a dealer under the GCA. However, if the gunsmith performs work on guns as a step in the process of preparing them for subsequent sale, the work is “manufacturing” requiring a manufacturer’s license and, if the firearm is an NFA firearm, a special tax stamp under the NFA.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD

I know where I am; why don't you put your location in your profile?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Lots of new people to shooting, who do not know the rules.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know where I am; why don't you put your location in your profile?

Sorry, my intent was to not have some new person who does not the laws follow your post and get themselves in trouble.

As for MY location, I am not posting that I am doing things that are illegal in the Maryland, on a forum called MARYLAND Shooters.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Sorry, my intent was to not have some new person who does not the laws follow your post and get themselves in trouble.

As for MY location, I am not posting that I am doing things that are illegal in the Maryland, on a forum called MARYLAND Shooters.
    :rolleyes:

I recently did a FTF transfer of a handgun with no 77r or 4473, but that doesn't make me special.

TI-tick

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    $1300 for a Vol... is way over my price point. PWS had a toggle for about half that price 2017 or so and even at that at that price I could not justify for a 10/22ish rig. They had them then they were gone. Pop up here and there on Gunbroker. On my maybe list.

IIRC Isralies have a bull 10/22 action accurized and suppressed. Would like to know the specs on that platform.

While I like the Ruger 10/22, there are many more that tickle my fancy.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    You are correct sir. Maryland gun laws are full of land mines and traps.

Agree but do not take it for granted that everyone is ignorant of MD BS gun laws. If someone thinks another poster may be saying something that is incorrect use the PM. Other wise open mouth and insert foot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom