• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    First off; taken directly from the MSP website:

"" What constitutes a good and substantial reason? Based on the guidance provided by the Maryland Public Safety Code, handgun permits may be issued to applicants based on the following circumstances:

5. Personal Protection. There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.""

Self Defense(personal protection) is already a G&S reason. The issue at hand is that the requirements that one must meet on order to qualify for G&S of Self Defense(personal protection) is VERY onerous.

To date Hogan has not addressed this issue publicly or behind the scenes. EVERY law abiding Maryland citizen without disqualifying backgrounds would easily qualify for the G&S of Self Defense(personal protection) if those ridiculous requirements were removed. Those requirements are completely at the discretion of the MSP Superintendent.

I honestly am not sure what your point is about telling us that very wealthy democratic donors helped to back Hogan. Either he is 2A friendly or not.

Self Defense is already G&S, yes! It is the MSP deciding whether you are worthy of self defense.

SENATE BILL 100
    (ii) has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a
    handgun, such as SELF–DEFENSE OR a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger

No one see's all the weasel room there?

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    Just got this email from MSI today.....

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f9a3fb0d5de76b58560e66d8e&id=d42319feb1&e=61c2c98859

Here is the part that caught my eye.....

"Of all of the bills in the House, the only ones that moved and were approved were HB614 (Department of State Police - Handgun Roster Board - Definition of Handgun) which removed short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns from the definition of a handgun, and HB170"

Shouldn't this mean no more OAL rules apply to SBRs? Or am I misreading this?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MSP ruled that SBR's are both handguns and rifles. So until the Engage suit is resolved, MSP is still saying the copycat provisions also apply.

Attachments

• 5-2-14++LD-FRS-14-002+-+REVISED+-+Short+Barreled+Shotguns+.pdf
      95.6 KB · Views: 76

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just got this email from MSI today.....

http://us4.campaign-archive2.com/?u=f9a3fb0d5de76b58560e66d8e&id=d42319feb1&e=61c2c98859

Here is the part that caught my eye.....

"Of all of the bills in the House, the only ones that moved and were approved were HB614 (Department of State Police - Handgun Roster Board - Definition of Handgun) which removed short barreled rifles and short barreled shotguns from the definition of a handgun, and HB170"

Shouldn't this mean no more OAL rules apply to SBRs? Or am I misreading this?

Nope OAL and copycat test still apply to SBRs, you just won't have to submit a specific model to the handgun review board to get it approved for sale, starting on Oct 1, 2015.

MSP ruled that SBR's are both handguns and rifles. So until the Engage suit is resolved, MSP is still saying the copycat provisions also apply.

This will resolve part of that issue as MSP is going off of 5-402 (Handgun review board) statute at this time. Come Oct 1, 2015, MSP will not be using it.

The engage lawsuit with regards to OAL and copycat features should not be affected, but IANAL.

navycraig

Ultimate Member
    Aug 3, 2009
    St. Mary's
    MSI sent a congratulatory letter to the Superintendent after his swearing in, along with a request to meet with him. At the same time MSI sent a letter to the Governor asking for a meeting as well.

Once we know something, you will know something.

Was this communicated to the MSI membership in any way? Any chance you could post a copy of the letter on the MSI site so we can see it?

Mike

Propietario de casa, Toluca, México
    MDS Supporter
    If Maryland will be changed, it will be in this term.
    2nd republican governor in 50 years.
    Let that sink in.
    2nd republican governor in 50 years.
    Hogan can be a hero or he can be an Erlich.
    and I'm not just talking about permits.

Go big before he has to go home.

Actually he's the 3rd in 50 years. Who could forget Agnew? Remember the Agnew watches from when he was VP (before he resigned in disgrace) that ran backwards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_Maryland

55 Spiro Agnew Agnew Republican January 25, 1967 January 7, 1969 [15]
    56 Marvin Mandel Mandel Democratic January 7, 1969 January 17, 1979 [16]
    Blair Lee III (acting) Lee III Democratic June 4, 1977 January 15, 1979 [17]
    57 Harry R. Hughes Hughes Democratic January 17, 1979 January 20, 1987
    58 William Donald Schaefer Schaefer Democratic January 20, 1987 January 18, 1995
    59 Parris N. Glendening Glendening Democratic January 18, 1995 January 15, 2003
    60 Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr. Ehrlich Republican January 15, 2003 January 17, 2007
    61 Martin J. O'Malley O'Malley Democratic January 17, 2007 January 21, 2015 [18]
    62 Lawrence J. Hogan, Jr. Hogan Republican January 21, 2015

Dec 31, 2012
    Actually he's the 3rd in 50 years. Who could forget Agnew? Remember the Agnew watches from when he was VP (before he resigned in disgrace) that ran backwards?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Governors_of_Maryland

55 Spiro Agnew Agnew Republican January 25, 1967 January 7, 1969 [15]
    56 Marvin Mandel Mandel Democratic January 7, 1969 January 17, 1979 [16]
    Blair Lee III (acting) Lee III Democratic June 4, 1977 January 15, 1979 [17]
    57 Harry R. Hughes Hughes Democratic January 17, 1979 January 20, 1987
    58 William Donald Schaefer Schaefer Democratic January 20, 1987 January 18, 1995
    59 Parris N. Glendening Glendening Democratic January 18, 1995 January 15, 2003
    60 Robert L. Ehrlich, Jr. Ehrlich Republican January 15, 2003 January 17, 2007
    61 Martin J. O'Malley O'Malley Democratic January 17, 2007 January 21, 2015 [18]
    62 Lawrence J. Hogan, Jr. Hogan Republican January 21, 2015

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Was this communicated to the MSI membership in any way? Any chance you could post a copy of the letter on the MSI site so we can see it?

No it was not, as is most internal MSI business. And no, it will not be shared, as with most MSI internal business. The letter will be treated as any communication between MSI and any other organization public or private.

Sorry to come across as short and secretive on this, but MSI has not and will not share any correspondence with other organizations or individuals.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Squirrel.

you beat me to it.

I am starting to believe there is a lot of secret squirrel stuff happening or a lot of bs being tossed our way. I guess I just live my life above board and I guess everything in politics is done below board and in secret for some reason.

Mr H

Banana'd
    For crying out loud.........

MSI is a membership organization, yes.

But, it is also a corporate entity, with business to conduct.

See if any other similar organization will share their internal memos and processes with its membership. Yeah, doesn't happen often (if at all).

Or, heaven forbid, step up and become a part of the working side of the organization. Goodness knows they have work to go around, all over the state.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Sounded to me like we were taking about something sent on behalf of membership, unless it's part of pending litigation I don't see why the need to hush it.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'm okay with that. It wasn't an open letter to Hogan in the editorial section, and no sense in making it easy for the anti's to get all lathered up about "gun toting special interest" lobbying the Governor. I'll be happy with positive action absent unnecessary attention. There will be enough of that without sending an invitation via a posting here. That's why I still favor 100's of individual letters versus 3 or 4 letters from the mainstay organizations. The organizations don't get to vote . . . :innocent0

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    What the what???

Does no one here have business experience? Do you announce to the world and your competitors every strategic move you're about to make?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom