• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    How does the Prvi Partisan Match ammo stand up to Federal Gold Medal Match for accuracy? Does anyone have any preference? The Prvi is a good bit less expensive but I don't want to sacrifice accuracy for savings if there is a substantial difference.

I'll be picking up the rifle this weekend, a Remington 700 R5 Milspec with a 6-18x Leupold, starting off at 100-200yds and hope to work my way up to competitive shooting with alot of practice and gleaning tricks of the trade from more experienced shooters.

So, what would you recommend?

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The FGMM 168s are GTG at closer ranges, but once you get to 600, the 175s catch up in all ways, and do much better at ranges beyond that.

While everyone's rifle will usually exhibit a preference for one ammo type or another, one of the guys over at Sniper's Paradise just ran some side-by-side testing and the Prvi didn't fare well. His comment was essentially that one gets what they pay for.

Another possibility is the M118LR by American Ballistics. This has shot well in several rifles I know of and delivered 3/4 MOA from my LTR. We chronographed it and it meets advertised velocity and has way less extreme spread than Black Hills.

My suggestion would be to get a box of each and sit/lay down with them and see for yourself which one your rifle likes. Trigger time is always good, and there's no sense guessing.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I can't speak to the .308 and will always defer to Ed's wisdom in all things ballistic, however I can say that the .223 75 grain Prvi shoots every bit as well (if not better) than the Black Hills I had been buying.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Ed and I had a very similar discussion about this on Sunday, he nor I have ever heard of a remington that liked anything better than it does FGMM. I have Prvi, Black Hills and FGmm and have done a side by side with them in my 700P, the FGMM out shoots all of them. I will caution as Ed did though, every rifle is different and my springfield liked Black Hills more than federal. Go try em all and have fun doin it.

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Now the fun part, can anyone suggest a good retailer for this ammo? Would prefer a somewhat local gunshop to support our own before heading out on the internet. Where do you get your goodies?

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    The Gun Connection usually has a small bit of the FGMM and the Prvi in stock, White Marsh Arms usually has a good variety of bullet weights and bigger quantities of it also.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    The M118LR I mentioned is usually in stock at USArmorment for $19/box & shipping:
    http://usarmorment.com/m118lr-762-175-gr-long-range-sniper-ammunition-p-1.html
    He also stock FGMM 175s and you just missed a sale for $26/box, and he gone back up to $30/box & shipping:
    http://usarmorment.com/federal-gm308m2-175-gr-sierra-match-20-rounds-p-532.html
    USArmorment ships FedEx, so you get you ammo VERY quickly.

If you buy 500 rounds at a time ($415 & shipping), you can get the M118LR directly from American Ballistics for $17.50-17.75/box DELIVERED, but they don't sell smaller lots than that.http://www.amballistics.com/

2ndMDRebel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Thanks for those links E.Shell, just placed an order today. One quick question though that even searching on the web I'm not certain... what's the skinny on using .308 and 7.62N rounds in the same rifle? Is it that a rifle chambered in .308W can shoot 7.62N but a rifle chambered for 7.62N shouldn't use .308W? There's some relatively inexpensive Lithuanian 7.62N out there that's advertised as "near match" quality at ammoman, was wondering if that would suffice for a cheap alternative for just target practicing and plinking while reserving the high quality rounds for more serious shooting.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks for those links E.Shell, just placed an order today. One quick question though that even searching on the web I'm not certain... what's the skinny on using .308 and 7.62N rounds in the same rifle? Is it that a rifle chambered in .308W can shoot 7.62N but a rifle chambered for 7.62N shouldn't use .308W?
    Yes. Opposite the 5.56/.223, the .308 is loaded to slightly higher pressures than the 7.62x51. Firearms marked ".308" will digest both.
    There's some relatively inexpensive Lithuanian 7.62N out there that's advertised as "near match" quality at ammoman, was wondering if that would suffice for a cheap alternative for just target practicing and plinking while reserving the high quality rounds for more serious shooting.
    The Lithuanian I saw fired from a precision rifle was not very accurate. One of the members here, can't remember who, brought some down to the Wounded Warriors event a few months back and at 200 yards, groups were large. It may shoot better through your rifle, but I wouldn't count on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom