• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chromedragon70

Dec 29, 2012
    Eldersburg/Sykesville
    I have always bought my C&R guns from FFLs that sell them online or from other C&R holders or FFLs 01s. I have a situation that dropped on me this morning that I have to get ahead of - so I'm willing to get flamed and hear lots of RTFF. I have not made many purchases with my license and my last was about a year and a half ago.

My dad is getting on in years and starting to feel his mortality. He remarried his first wife (big mistake) after my mom died and is miserable and wants to make sure I get his older handguns now rather than waiting for me to inherit (he's convinced his wife will not give them to me when he passes).

He lives in Michigan and I live in Maryland. I am travelling there this weekend to visit and he wants me to take his guns. Can I "purchase" his >50yr old handguns directly from him and record them in my bound book as a legit C&R purchase even though he is not an FFL03 holder? Can I then drive them back to Maryland?

Thanks in advance and be gentle...

KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Yep sure can, just record all info in your bound book just like you would with any other acquisition. I had a similar situation early last year, my grandmother (PA resident) gave me my great grandfather's Colt 1911...recorded all necessary info in my bound book and drove home with it.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Assuming you have a valid C&R license, you can acquire from private people in person in Michigan as long as the the state (Michigan) allows it. You are not limited to purchasing from FFLs. You can even have your father fed ex the guns to you. You don't need to exchange money either.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Assuming you have a valid C&R license, you can acquire from private people in person in Michigan as long as the the state (Michigan) allows it. You are not limited to purchasing from FFLs. You can even have your father fed ex the guns to you. You don't need to exchange money either.

Mvee makes a good point about Michigan law. Every state is different. FYI, you can also use USPS Priority Mail to ship the guns from Michigan to Maryland.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Make sure you get all the needed info for the bound book. Sometimes people forget all that stuff when seller is not an FFL.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    I don't think that applies for C&R. I get my C&R guns via USPS from Classic Firearms. It might be worth it to call your local postmaster to get the scoop on mailing antiques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I don't think that applies for C&R. I get my C&R guns via USPS from Classic Firearms. It might be worth it to call your local postmaster to get the scoop on mailing antiques.

Classic arms is an FFL 01. The USPS restriction applies to FFL 03. I recently sold two C&R pistols. It was not fun having to send them overnight via Fedex ($60 each).

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    OK. I guess that makes sense. I'd like to see the postal regulations, just out of curiosity. Do you have a reference for that?

Jul 1, 2012
    OK. I guess that makes sense. I'd like to see the postal regulations, just out of curiosity. Do you have a reference for that?

Go to the USPS website and search for shipping handguns.
    It's in several different sections of the regs.
    Not being flippant, they changed the website and all my links are broken.

The form you have to fill out states you have to be a "bonified dealer or manufacturer"

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Thanks. So from what I read it seems like a C&R to C&R mailing only applies to black powder and cartridge guns that use ammo that is not made in America and is not available within normal commercial channels. Good to know.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Thanks. So from what I read it seems like a C&R to C&R mailing only applies to black powder and cartridge guns that use ammo that is not made in America and is not available within normal commercial channels. Good to know.

For handguns. Rifles can be mailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom