• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    I have never been a fan of the sigs. I handled a few P226's and the grip felt too small for my hands. From the picture, I do not like the looks of the 320, not that that matters for military use. Hopefully Trump cancels the contract and saves colt by giving them the contract and bringing back the 1911.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Pics of the winning design http://www.recoilweb.com/us-army-awards-modular-handgun-contract-to-sig-sauer-124688.html

16002765_1269673199778545_6889782066099562558_n.jpg

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    It will be interesting to see how a polymer gun such as the Sig holds up to Privates. They beat the hell out of the M9 and it keeps on working. Sig's polymer doesn't appear as strong as a Glock, so only time will tell if these hold up the abuse that the Army will give them.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Question

Wonder how it runs after you shoot 10,000 rounds through it, clean it and hand it out for a grunt in the field - with the same barrel? :D

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Now the real question, are they going to stick with 9mm?

Multiple sources involved in the acquisition program have told RECOIL the M17 is chambered in 9mm NATO

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Death of the slide-mounted safety/decocker... none too soon, I suppose. I wonder if Beretta will finally get off their asses and make a mass-production 92 that uses a frame safety (again).

It will also be interesting to see if Sig can leverage this win into some LE and military sales (foreign or domestic).

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I carried the M9 for 25 years, 5 deployments and used it. Never had a issue, sand, mud and dust, it worked every time I needed it.

I never had a failure either.

I've seen my share of M9's go T/U. They have a tendency to have cracks on the slide from the lower left corner of the ejection port.
    I've carried, 1911, MK-23's, 226's, M9 and 686.
    MK-23 and P-226 are my favorite over the others for 95% of what I did.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    It will also be interesting to see if Sig can leverage this win into some LE and military sales (foreign or domestic).

I kind of suspect that LE will remain resistant to external safeties on handguns.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Wonder how it runs after you shoot 10,000 rounds through it, clean it and hand it out for a grunt in the field - with the same barrel? :D

I am pretty sure a demo of 10,000 rds down the barrel was part of the award requirements. I know how you can test 10k rounds, not sure how you can model grunt abuse.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    If you're cutting a check for a contract, Sig will build guns in just about any config you want.

Valid point of course.

It is interesting as I think about it that neither the M9 nor the 1911 ever enjoyed terribly widespread, long term police use. The Beretta probably did in the 80's but it seems to have been replaced quickly. The 1911 was in Army service for 70+ years as American cops were mostly still carrying revolvers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom