• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    Hi all,

I just received an AR that a local gunsmith put together for me. I was going over the functionality of the rifle to make myself familiar with it before taking it to the range. One of the things I did was to chamber and eject a round.

Upon inspection of the ejected round, I noticed a small indent on the primer of the round which made me raise an eyebrow. I tried this again with a few more rounds and the same indent appeared on each of them.

This has never happened with any of my other pistols or rifles, which is making me wonder if it is something I should be concerned over. My worry is that this condition may cause a misfire due to contact between the firing pin and printer of the round - or that because the firing pin is already pushing against the round when not fired, the pin may over penetrate the round when fired and cause the round to blow up in the chamber

I do not know much about AR-15s, so could someone let me know if this is normal or if its something I should take the rifle back to the gunsmith to look at. (he's an hour away so I don't wanna make the drive unless I need to)

Thanks

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Completely normal. The AR-15 has a "floating" firing pin, basically put, when you close the bolt on a live round the force of the bolt closing allows the firing pin to move slightly forward upon impact, thus leaving a small indent on the primer.

It's ok.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Completely normal. The AR-15 has a "floating" firing pin, basically put, when you close the bolt on a live round the force of the bolt closing allows the firing pin to move slightly forward upon impact, thus leaving a small indent on the primer.

It's ok.

What he said... Completely normal for the AR

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Yep. It's totally normal due to the design of the firing pin/bolt.

If you are so inclined, stripping your gun down and disassembling the bcg will help you get more familiar with the way your gun works. It's a worthwhile and fun adventure.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    As others have stated - the firing pin in a AR basically free floats - there is no spring. The inertia from the bolt slamming shut causes that pin to push forward and indent the primer.

It should not be an issue, but its a reason why you always point a rifle downrange, or in a safe direction when you release a bolt/slide an action shut. Slamfires are scary things!

CCI does make a harder cup primer for reloading,(milspec) for firearms of these type. I use regular Win small primer, and have not had any issue in MY AR.

The BCG are pretty straight forward to take apart.

omegaZ87

Apr 26, 2013
    Maryland
    So it's safe to take to the range tomorrow? The indent is tiny but I wanted to be sure before putting myself or those around me in danger

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    So it's safe to take to the range tomorrow? The indent is tiny but I wanted to be sure before putting myself or those around me in danger

Yes. As long as you keep it pointed in a safe direction when cycling the action no one should get hurt. Also the firing pin can't protrude through the bolt face enough until the bolt is completely in battery to make the round fire.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    I assume you were letting the bolt fly when chambering the round? If you want to see if it's just the floating pin or not, ride the bolt forward and chamber completely using the forward assist. If it still had a dent after doing it that way, then you'd have some reason to be concerned.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Floating firing pins are also found in M1 Garands, M14s, 1911 pistols (pre Series 80), SKS rifles, and many, many other firearms.

It is important for you to learn about slam fires:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamfire

220px-Primerstrike.jpg

Light primer strike in an AR-15 type rifle after dropping the bolt with a loaded magazine inserted

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slamfire

It is also best that you refrain from chambering live ammunition at home, certainly until you are very familiar with your rifle. Even then, there is rarely a good reason to do so, unless you are actually preparing your defensive weapon for use, for example: http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=128596

For familiarization, practice, loading drills, etc. get some snap caps or dummy rounds: https://www.google.com/search?q=sna...7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually the CCI #41, military small rifle primer has the same thickness cup as the CCI #450 small rifle magnum primer. And the same priming compound and same amount. The #41 has a couple of thousandths of more space between the cup and anvil.

For safety, CCI #41, CCI #450, Remington 7 1/2 are the recommended primers for AR use.

Many people has used other primers, but they may be running at the edge.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    This is most common when you slingshot the charging handle, pull it all the way back and let it go, to close the bolt. It is less prominent when you release the bolt via the bolt release button. Who would of thunk 3/4" less travel would make that much difference.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    You're right. 1911s do have a firing pin spring. I was confusing the "inertia" type firing pin (pre-Series 80) with a floating pin. There has been some controversy about the safety of the pre-Series 80 inertial pin, which led me to confound the two types.

Garands, M1 Carbines, and M14s/M1As, M16s/AR15s do have floating pins though.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    "This is most common when you slingshot the charging handle, pull it all the way back and let it go, to close the bolt."

This occurs every time the gun fires and chambers the next round as well. Same as pulling the bolt back all the way when first charging the rifle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom