• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I have an M16 (yep it is a blast to shoot). I am thinking of adding a 4-Way fire control setup to it so I can shoot in burst mode.

Is that legal to do with an M-16? Add the burst mode to it?

Thanks,

Dave

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    1st I don't own a machine gun but as I understand the law if your firearm is a registered MG I don't think the ATF cares whether you should 1,2,3 or 20 rounds per pull of the trigger because that all falls under what a full auto machine gun is. My only concern would be if you own other ARs and you have extra FA parts they might try to say constructive intent to build other MGs. Another member here mentioned he keeps his short barreled uppers for his MG separate from his other ARs so it's clear he only intends to use them on his MG.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I always thought with the select-fire AR FCG's, it was either/or - Burst or Full?

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    They make a 4-Way system that allows for safe/semi/full/burst. Not sure the cost but, considering getting one for my M16. Will see if I need to mod the receiver for it. Not sure if I have the safety stops on mine or not.

As for criminal intent, you would have to have the extra sear hole in the AR lower for the Full Auto fire group to work in full auto mode, as far as I know. I keep spares for most of my guns including my M16. I try to keep Class III stuff separate from the rest but, figured the BATFE would be hard pressed to prove criminal intent if I already own an M16. The spare parts are just that...spare, for each particular gun.

Dave

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Learned something new. Thanks.

I'd imagine, seeing that you already have a RR M16, doing the 4-way conversion shouldn't pose any legal issues. Seems like the big issues are going to be sourcing the parts, and deciding on to have the stops milled down (if you have them, or if you can't find the DPMS raised lever to clear them).

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I have an M16 (yep it is a blast to shoot). I am thinking of adding a 4-Way fire control setup to it so I can shoot in burst mode.

Is that legal to do with an M-16? Add the burst mode to it?

Thanks,

Dave

Just swap the parts out. No legal problems. Just like if you wanted to run a LMG upper that fires from the open bolt and requires that parts set. I keep a spare set of M16 fire control parts for mine in case something breaks. And that kit has come in handy. Also keep spare fire control parts for the Macs, FNC, Uzi, AM180, etc. Things break when running 1,000 RPM.....be prepared. :)

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Well now all I gotta do is find a four way kit. The DPMS looks cool and is designed to clear the safety stop nubs. My M16 lower has one of those missing already so I should be good with any of the kits.

And the hunt is on. :D

Dave

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    I think I read somewhere how the burst package is one of the first things new M16 owners get and the first thing M16 owner get rid of....

I think the M16 4 way trigger is not as good as others... if I recall correctly. Something like it does not reset after you fire. So you fire 3 shots, then a burst of 1 shot. Or if you shoot 2 shots, then the second burst will be 2 shots. In other words it does not reset between trigger pulls.

I don't remember exactly but I looked into this enough that I decided against getting it. I know of one guy in the club that has it. The rest have had it and removed it. In all seriousness, your finger is the burst control.

Not trying to be negative but just a reminder why you don't see them all the time.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    I think I read somewhere how the burst package is one of the first things new M16 owners get and the first thing M16 owner get rid of....

I think the M16 4 way trigger is not as good as others... if I recall correctly. Something like it does not reset after you fire. So you fire 3 shots, then a burst of 1 shot. Or if you shoot 2 shots, then the second burst will be 2 shots. In other words it does not reset between trigger pulls.

I don't remember exactly but I looked into this enough that I decided against getting it. I know of one guy in the club that has it. The rest have had it and removed it. In all seriousness, your finger is the burst control.

Not trying to be negative but just a reminder why you don't see them all the time.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate the background. Do you remember who in the club has one? Just want to chat. This is more of one of those "if I come across one for a decent price get it" kind of things.

Thanks again!

Dave

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate the background. Do you remember who in the club has one? Just want to chat. This is more of one of those "if I come across one for a decent price get it" kind of things.

Thanks again!

Dave

Albert has his set up in 4 position. I'll send you his email address.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Albert has his set up in 4 position. I'll send you his email address.

Yes he is the only person I think still has it installed but several others have had one.

I saw this when I was doing my research on it:

14983funswitches.jpg

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Yes he is the only person I think still has it installed but several others have had one.

I saw this when I was doing my research on it:

14983funswitches.jpg

Yeah I saw that the other day. Made me wonder if I should move forward with it. Read some other articles about issues with a 4-way system. Still need to email Albert and see what he says.

Dave

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Consider the HK burst pack works better (resets count every time you stop) yet it still never gets used at the range by anyone I know. More of a novelty than anything else. If I came across one cheap, I'd still buy it. Murica!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom