• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Might as well get this thread started now.

I'm a fair weather hunter, but I consider fair weather between 0°-110°f or days that end in Y.

One of my farms, we hunt crop damage in july. It gives the fawns enough time to get weaned. This year we are stopping Aug 6th. It gives the deer a chance to relax for a month before the season opens and we hammer them again.

I signed into the area I was hunting then drove to the gate I was going in. Got my gear on. Hung out and chatted with my father for a few minutes. Walked back to the area I was hunting. I sat down and was using my range finder when a doe came running out of the corn and stopped in the opening. You can see in the video that I had to cycle the action due to a misfire. Tracked the 60 yds she went, drag her out and gut her. Walk back to my truck. Drive to get and load her up. Then back to the place I need to sign out. Total time from sign in to out was 55 mins.

Attachments

• 0720171851.jpg
      0720171851.jpg
      63 KB · Views: 3,009

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Yeah you can see I forgot to turn the camera off at the end of the video. I also need to find some video editing program. In the 2 second lag before the video actually started recording I had already adjusted the zoom on my scope, settled in for the shot and had the misfire. It would be better just to keep it recording it all the time then edit the video to only show the action.

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    Yeah you can see I forgot to turn the camera off at the end of the video. I also need to find some video editing program. In the 2 second lag before the video actually started recording I had already adjusted the zoom on my scope, settled in for the shot and had the misfire. It would be better just to keep it recording it all the time then edit the video to only show the action.

Try Windows Movie Maker. It's a free download from Microsoft. Very basic but it does allow trimming and cutting.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I posted this elsewhere, but it belongs here.

Attachments

• ohdeer.jpg
      ohdeer.jpg
      48.2 KB · Views: 2,893

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    I love this thread.

Man, dealing with deer in this heat must be tough. Do you have a walk in cooler?

I've gotten friendly with the local deer processor. We notify him before we start doing crop damage so he can turn his cooler on since it's the off season. I just drop them off there on my way home.

7/22 morning hunt. That's the exit hole in the pic, the entrance is in front of the opposite shoulder.

Attachments

• 0722170811.jpg
      0722170811.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 1,113

Bboarder

Me Myself & I
    Mar 7, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I've gotten friendly with the local deer processor. We notify him before we start doing crop damage so he can turn his cooler on since it's the off season. I just drop them off there on my way home.

7/22 morning hunt. That's the exit hole in the pic, the entrance is in front of the opposite shoulder.

You're sick, not because of the hunting, but because of hunting when its this goddamn hot.

btw, BIG deer at the farm this year

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Haven't caught any bucks on camera yet this season, just does. As long as they are stick around, the bucks will pop up eventually.

MigraineMan

Ultimate Member
    Jun 9, 2011
    Frederick County
    Driving home last night, bracketed by tall corn on either side of the road, I said "Keep an eye out for Bambis." The Son asked "What's a Bambi?" I provided the Cliff's Notes version about a big, bad, evil hunter who kills Bambi's mom.

He thought for a moment, and responded "I hope the hunter ate the deer he killed. If you kill it, you eat it. Right?"

Made me smile.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Do you have any problems with ticks on the deer or other parasites etc in the meat since it's still so hot out? I took a deer with a bow on 9/10 (opening day) last year. It was 90 degrees. I was able to get the deer out and it had no problems, but I was completely covered in mosquito bites after field dressing and dragging it to the truck. Not planning to take a shot when it's that hot ever again unless I somehow see Bambi's father in front of my tree.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Do you have any problems with ticks on the deer or other parasites etc in the meat since it's still so hot out? I took a deer with a bow on 9/10 (opening day) last year. It was 90 degrees. I was able to get the deer out and it had no problems, but I was completely covered in mosquito bites after field dressing and dragging it to the truck. Not planning to take a shot when it's that hot ever again unless I somehow see Bambi's father in front of my tree.

Ticks are always a concern when out in the field. As long as you recover the game, clean, and prevent flies from getting to it , and get it cooled in a timely manner. I've never had any issues with any of my game. I actually don't mind hunting right now. Yeah it maybe a little warmer than it is in sept. but I'm just glad I don't have to carry a tree stand and climb a tree right now. Normally right now I hunt along the edge of the corn or soy bean fields not far from my truck and in the shade.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    07-24-2017 currently on this property we have taken 11 does in the past week. 3 of us have 3 each.

Attachments

• 0724172005.jpg
      0724172005.jpg
      96.4 KB · Views: 983

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Nice! I've seen more fawns this year in my neighborhood than any time in the past 5 years. I'm hoping that the increased population pressure keeps them out during the daylight hours for me since they usually go nocturnal as soon as season hits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom