Vertical grip on an AK pistol- AOW or ATF legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    so I recently acquired an ak pistol (romanian draco) and installed a brace on it. from the front sight post to the farthest endpoint of the installed brace, the firearm measures 27 and a half inches. I know the ATF put out a letter stating that putting a vertical grip on an ar style pistol with an overall length of 26 inches does not change its classification to an AOW. Is the same true for an AK pistol? if i put a vertical grip on my draco with the brace, will i be an instant felon?

Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    spoke with MDSP

so i spoke with a trooper in the MDSP and forwarded him this article https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/
    which has the ATF letter.

He replied, " As long as you are not putting this on a banned weapon, Maryland doesn't recognize it. If the ATF says you can attach it, we are fine with it. You have the letter so, you are good. "

He also clarified that there is no legal disctiction in classifications between an AK style firearm and an AR style firearm.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't touch the final sentence of above.

But if your 27.5in OAL firearm is otherwise legal , no issues with vert foregrip .

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    so i spoke with a trooper in the MDSP and forwarded him this article https://johnpierceesq.com/can-you-add-a-vertical-fore-grip-to-an-ar-pistol/
    which has the ATF letter.

He replied, " As long as you are not putting this on a banned weapon, Maryland doesn't recognize it. If the ATF says you can attach it, we are fine with it. You have the letter so, you are good. "

He also clarified that there is no legal disctiction in classifications between an AK style firearm and an AR style firearm.

Did you get the troopers statement in writing? If not it wasn't worth the air expended to say it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom