Integrally suppressed AR15 upper...MD Legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    anyone know if this is MD legal?

https://libertycans.net/zulu-integral-556-upper/

I"m researching doing an SBR / suppressed upper and this option would seem to save me needing an SBR tax stamp. not sure how MD would look at the barrell.

It's certainly fatter and heavier than an HBAR

thought or comments appreciated.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Since the barrel profile is not listed/described, I would speculate it is not a MD compliant configuration.

You would be good to go if you did say, an 10.5inch barrel with a heavy profile and pinned/welded a direct thread suppressor to meet 16 inches. Lot's of barrel manufacturers make heavy profile 10.3 or 11.5 inch barrels.

Unless the integrally suppressed upper or rifle is described by the manufacturer as having a heavy barrel, you are not able to have it in MD.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    integrsl suppressed

hmmm. Following. Hard to determine since the barrel is very short and the suppressor is pinned and welded on. I have the Witt Machine 300 integrally suppressed upper. Of course it is 16" and does not matter since not 5.56.

Attachments

• witt 300.PNG
      witt 300.PNG
      14 KB · Views: 382

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Maybe I missed the barrel length in their description, but if it were a silly millimeter shorter than 16", you would be good to go without question. But it would require two stamps.
    I would call them and ask to see or know the barrel profile behind the can.
    Life would be good if you owned a lower before 10/1/13. Legally,(and I am not a lawyer,) you should be allowed to buy it. Just not mount it on a post ban lower while in Merryland. :shrug:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    exactly

Maybe I missed the barrel length in their description, but if it were a silly millimeter shorter than 16", you would be good to go without question. But it would require two stamps.
    Life would be good if you owned a lower before 10/1/13. Legally,(and I am not a lawyer,) you should be allowed to buy it. Just not mount it on a post ban lower while in Merryland. :shrug:

agreed. or one if you can do a pistol? if not then 2- suppressor and sbr

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    See if the manufacturer will stamp HBAR on the barrel. Problem solved. The actual profile matters not.

mpollan1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 26, 2012
    Мэриленд

Whoa, whoa, whoa. If I have a pre-ban lower that I were able to recover from Tangier Sound, I could assemble any profile, legal length barrel I want? Your IANAL disclaimer is noted.

Mark

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Whoa, whoa, whoa. If I have a pre-ban lower that I were able to recover from Tangier Sound, I could assemble any profile, legal length barrel I want? Your IANAL disclaimer is noted.

Mark

Correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    nice

Mark

wish you would have found mine there. :P

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Mark
    No arguments from me...:innocent0

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    hmmm. Following. Hard to determine since the barrel is very short and the suppressor is pinned and welded on. I have the Witt Machine 300 integrally suppressed upper. Of course it is 16" and does not matter since not 5.56.

I don’t see those listed for sale? Are they still made?

I just bought a can...sure fire SOCOM 300...I’ve got about 8 months to decide what to build for it. That brownell’s 180s gas piston upper has my attention too if I decide to buy rather than build

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If this were something like the Gemtech Integra, which had some genuine design differences over a regular AR and would flat-out not work without the can on it, I'd be inclined to say it wasn't a straight-up copy and didn't need to be HBAR. This thing... not so sure.

The one thing I want to point out, though, is that designs like this absolutely suck for hard use ARs. There's a reason that the Integra didn't win - the handguards became stupid hot under sustained use. The LaRue and Sig entries didn't suffer from this problem, which is one of the reasons Sig won.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom