• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I cant decide what style of freezer yet, but I want a freezer.

Unfortunately I didn't really pay attention to my garage temperatures this year. I'm worried the summer time would be a little to rough for your average freezer in a attached but un-insulated/temperature controlled garage.

Any advice or horror stories?

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    My parents had the opposite issue with their garage fridge. Heat in the summer was never a problem. It might be a little more inefficient but it worked fine. The problem was that sometimes if the temp outside the freezer got too cold it would cause the freezer to thaw. This was a standard upright fridge/freezer. My understanding is that it happened because it had a single thermostat for controlling the temperature that was in the fridge portion, when the fridge is to warm it sucks cold air down from the freezer to cool it and runs the compressor to cool the freezer. If its cold enough that the fridge is staying cold on its own it never runs the compressor to cool the freezer and the freezer starts acting like another fridge. Their new one i believe has 2 thermostats to prevent that. I may have some of that wrong but I think that was the issue.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I put mine in the basement. The cooler temps year round make it easier on the compressor. Prolly costs less to run as well.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I had an upright in the old house garage. It frosted bad and died after 10 years.
    I researched and shopped around. Wound up with a medium sized chest freezer in a semi insulated garage. Seems to work better for me. I have to keep it organized and dig around some, but it's still running fine after 15 years.

Of course now that I said that...

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I've had a freezer and a refrigerator/freezer in my garage for 20 years.
    Everything works great.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Get 2 small ones in case one takes a crap. Plug them in different outlets.
    I have 2 and a 3rd on the way.
    Make one of them an upright. MUCH easier to access stuff.
    Not sure about the garage.

ngman

MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2013
    Western Howard County
    I've had an upright freezer in the garage for 15 years with no problems. I do try to remember to vacuum the coils every couple years, it's pretty dusty out there.

bob finger

Jul 24, 2016
    I've had chest freezers (smallish, not huge ones) in garages since 1973. I think 3 of them actually, and the first one I bought used. 2nd was left for new owners, easier than moving. Current one is from 2003. All in garages.

I've lived in Northern Wisconsin (very cold) TN, not so cold, VA not cold at all and now in MD where it is almost never cold but hot and humid. Defrost them maybe every 5 years and blow dust and dirt out with compressed air whenever you think about it. Freezers work best when not opened very often. If you go into it every day or so a chest type is superior. bob

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I've had a freezer and a refrigerator/freezer in my garage for 20 years.
    Everything works great.

30 years for me, 50+ for my father in law in NH.
    I''ve had them in basements, attached and un-attached garages, sheds, covered back porches. They work harder in summer and very little in winter. Provide a dedicated non-GFI circuit and you should be good to go.

Chest type are the most efficient, childproof but are a PITA to find anything., Uprights are most convenient but someday, someone, is going to leave it open. I made a wood locking gizmo that rests on the top of the freezer and is supposed to be engaged every time the door is closed.... Keeps the little ones from opening the door and theoretically the older ones from not closing the door. YMMV

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    If your garage reaches freezing temperature in the winter, install a garage kit.

When the outdoor temps cycle from cold to warm or vica versa, your feezer may not kick on to keep what you want frozen, frozen.

Mondial

Colt .45
    Nov 29, 2018
    Columbia
    We had an upright freezer only last ten years in a garage in MD. It died, but mostly because I think it was a cheap unit. New standard Kenmore frig/freezer seems to be fine these last 5 years.

iplay4fun

Aug 15, 2020
    Definitely go with an upright freezer instead of a chest freezer. I have had mine for 6 years in the garage and no issues. My garage is not insulated but of course is cooler than outside.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Freezer are not made away near as good as they use to be, picked up a chest freezer 2nd hand that was 10 years old and kept in my basement, I bought a new one just in case the old one crapped out. After 5 years the new one stopped working for no reason, took old one to Florida with me 3 years ago, it still freezes to -10 degrees. After 18 year it is still works great. Who even said new is better hasn't been around long enough to prove it.

Last edited:

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    We have an upright and a chest in an unfinished, non-temp controlled basement. The chest freezer stays a little colder, but the upright makes things easier to access.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Advertised as "Garage ready"

Just bought one from Bray & Scarff - the garage ready "rating" didn't play into it - its going in the basement, wife just liked the layout better.

FWIW - My parents had a regular old chest freezer for 20+ years in an unheated/air conditioned garage without an issue

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.29.37 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.29.37 PM.jpg
      17.6 KB · Views: 265
    • Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.30.00 PM.jpg
      Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 8.30.00 PM.jpg
      34.5 KB · Views: 266

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members