• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Is "all lawful purposes" still the way to go on these things? What have you guys used who've gotten one recently?

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Is "all lawful purposes" still the way to go on these things? What have you guys used who've gotten one recently?

I used "firearms history and all lawful purposes" and just received my "not disapproved" email response this morning (app received @ MSP on 08MAY2012 and letter will be sent when time permits according to the email).

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Also, if you have not bought something in MD yet and they give you hassle about not having a collection before becoming a collector...please let me know. There was some confusion up there we've had to work out recently.

It should have been fixed last month, but ya never know.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    Also, if you have not bought something in MD yet and they give you hassle about not having a collection before becoming a collector...please let me know. There was some confusion up there we've had to work out recently.

It should have been fixed last month, but ya never know.

I sent a copy of my C&R when I sent in my application. No questions about it, just the delayed response...

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    No cost and little downside. Folks are worried this means Maryland will start tracking your purchase. Guess what?

They are doing it anyway and are not shy about letting us know.

But if they ask you to "prove" you already have a collection, please do let MSI know (me, specifically). You are not required to let them know what you have if you got it while living elsewhere; likewise you don't need to have anything before you start.

I found the folks at MSP quite helpful and professional on this. I don't think they were trying to cause issues; it appears to have been an honest bit of confusion.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Patrick said:
    I found the folks at MSP quite helpful and professional on this. I don't think they were trying to cause issues; it appears to have been an honest bit of confusion.

Wow!?!?

The AGC folks thought the same after their sitdown with the MSP (last year I think).

I hope MSI has better results :thumbsup:

P-12 Norm

Why be normal?
    Sep 9, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    Can someone please explain the benefits of applying to become a "regulated firearm collector" in Maryland. I downloaded the form that someone posted on another thread. It is a very simple one-page form and it looks like all you have to do is show that you possess a C&R license (which I do) to qualify.

Does this status mean you don't have to go through the 7 day waiting period every time? Is there any cost associated with applying?

It makes making multiple purchases easier, so if there is a matched set you crave, of say, Commemorative Ruger Blackhawks in .327 Federal produced for the 1812 Anniversary you can buy them with no hassle.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Wow!?!?

The AGC folks thought the same after their sitdown with the MSP (last year I think).

I hope MSI has better results :thumbsup:

AGC met with them on this recently, as well.

I promised we wouldn't post the internal sauage-making on the internet, but at a high level a lot of this comes down to (I think) recent changes and rotations of personnel within the unit. There were rotations/retirements in the management and personnel chain and certain processes and procedures went back to "old ways" as a default. I did not see it as malicious; just the kind of thing that happens in an organization from time to time. This is a relatively infrequent case (collectors app for someone who hasn't bought guns before), so it's not the kind of thing you would remember to make part of your brief to the new people replacing you as you head out to a life of golf and parlor bingo.

Yes - we all wish we did not have to have these conversations at all. But the fact is we do and we will. When it makes sense, it's a lot easier to sit and talk it through rather than have to sue someone. The MSP has not become an arm of the NRA. MSP does not make the law, so we're crying into our beer when it comes to them applying G&S. As the law changes, it's good to think they will apply new requirements as they do the current requirements. No more, no less. Having the state listen, recognize what the law says, and then move on is a good thing. Even if they don't like it.

In the case we discussed with them, the collector's app was approved.

TROOPER

Ultimate Member
    May 22, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Submited mine start of June, and emailed for an update at the start of July.

Cpl emailed me back stating June applications had not been entered into the system, and I should check back in a couple of weeks.

Just emailed again today, and got an automated reply saying he is out on vacation until 8/1/2012

Erickat

Feb 1, 2018
    Been trying to figure out how long the collector letter should take - I mailed mine in on 3/7/18 - that's about 7 days ago, but allowing for mail transit & week-ends, it's actually only been about 4 days anyone could actually have looked at it.
    Wondering if it will come back before the 30 days passes for me to pick up my 2nd gun (Springfield XD-E 9mm)

Is there a way to check on these applications?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom