• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Good post CDE. Dead Eye, there is your answer. I don't know when you served, but I deployed to Afghanistan in DEC of 01 with a LBE, a piece of kit that was pre-Vietnam. That is criminal. We didn't have enough body armor to go around either. Thank God that we do now and if you re-read my post you will see the rationale for the battle belt on the military side. For civilians, I guess you can stuff all you need in your pockets? Do what works for you.

I understand the need on the military side. My question was regarding the need on the civilian side. To "gear up" suggests you are going looking for a fight. My point was in reference to self defense, which "gearing up" aint going to do anyone a bit of good, unless of course, your sleeping in it. The clarification was then made that it was SHTF gear. "OK", I believe I said, I understand now. I guess I'm not that paranoid, YET.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I understand the need on the military side. My question was regarding the need on the civilian side. To "gear up" suggests you are going looking for a fight. My point was in reference to self defense, which "gearing up" aint going to do anyone a bit of good, unless of course, your sleeping in it. The clarification was then made that it was SHTF gear. "OK", I believe I said, I understand now. I guess I'm not that paranoid, YET.

Kevp and others run setups like this at the steel shoot as well as when attending various tactical classes, matches, etc. They do this to promote consistency and use a platform that is comprehensive and utilitarian.

It's sorta like a nice cowboy rig for SASS, or a shooting vest for clays.

Could it be used for a SHTF scenario? Obviously yes. But it can (and my question was more intended) for it's use in tactical shooting applications as a particular discipline in the shooting sports.

I hope this clarifies things so you can leave well enough alone.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    I'm scared of battle belts!!!!! Battle belts are the sure fire tell of an extremist.

That being said, I appreciate the review, and am keeping my eyes out for a nice used setup.

Dead Eye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 21, 2010
    At Wal-Mart, buying more ammo.
    Kevp and others run setups like this at the steel shoot as well as when attending various tactical classes, matches, etc. They do this to promote consistency and use a platform that is comprehensive and utilitarian.

It's sorta like a nice cowboy rig for SASS, or a shooting vest for clays.

Could it be used for a SHTF scenario? Obviously yes. But it can (and my question was more intended) for it's use in tactical shooting applications as a particular discipline in the shooting sports.

I hope this clarifies things so you can leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the clarification. I believe my original inquisition was what one would use such a rig for? If he uses it for competition, that's cool. Sorry, didn't mean anyone any offense.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    Either way it's a hell of a write up. SWMBO has been asking about getting some stuff together just in case. We only have seabag with necessities but in this day and age need to carry some extra hardware.

We started talking about this since she saw the movie "The Road" kinda what I had planned just get to the ocean and head south. The going from point A to B is what got us thinking.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Nice post. I currently have a LBV. It's not super fast or very comfortable but its what I have. It seems to be alot better when not attached to a ALICE belt

I have a nice blackhawk gear belt someone gave me and I want to turn it into something like you showed pics of. The only this is I'm not 21 yet so I will be focusing more on AR mags instead of handgun mags. I was thinking it would be a quick "go" belt for lightweight work instead on the chest rig with 6 mags. What do you think? Thanks.

Oh and the only suggestion I have is to put some of those medical items in your BOK in a ziplock bag so you don't lose everything when you get shot at night and you need one item. that's just my opinion though.

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Thanks for the write-up! Lots of good information to digest. Lots of people have mentioned bugging-out with a rig like this, but I was wondering how your set-up would work with a pack on your back? You're already wearing a padded belt and two sets of shoulder straps, so can you comfortably carry a BOB, too? Not trying to nitpick, just trying to figure out whether this set-up would be applicable during a bug-out, or whether it would be better used while patrolling.

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    After an hour or so on Blue Force Gear's web site I have a good idea what I want.

They have SR25 mag pouches too. That's an added bonus, I am going to try and take a Vickers battle rifle class so one belt can pull double duty.

Thanks for the write-up kevp. Does anyone have any experience with the ATS war belt and insert? I keep being torn between that one and the SOC-C from BFG.

Cal

I i also have an ATS warbelt and insert. I like it alot but wanted to try some other stuff. I just traded off my HSGI belt so I'll go back to the ATS. I liked it better anyway. HSGI makes some killer kit. I kept their suspenders. Now I need to figure out what to do with my holster. Right now its in a drop platform.

Calengor

wishes he were spike
    Apr 13, 2009
    Frederick, MD
    Cal

I i also have an ATS warbelt and insert. I like it alot but wanted to try some other stuff. I just traded off my HSGI belt so I'll go back to the ATS. I liked it better anyway. HSGI makes some killer kit. I kept their suspenders. Now I need to figure out what to do with my holster. Right now its in a drop platform.

Thanks, canuck. I was unsure of it, because the price seems too good to be true. But I'd seen a lot of people review it favorably on LF and thought it might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the write-up! Lots of good information to digest. Lots of people have mentioned bugging-out with a rig like this, but I was wondering how your set-up would work with a pack on your back? You're already wearing a padded belt and two sets of shoulder straps, so can you comfortably carry a BOB, too? Not trying to nitpick, just trying to figure out whether this set-up would be applicable during a bug-out, or whether it would be better used while patrolling.

Here is some more amplification into the line concept.

http://www.everycitizenasoldier.org/id12.html

Todd v.

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2008
    South Carolina
    I started with a chest rig and have migrated to a battle belt setup. For me, it works better for the kind of stuff I do. I like the battle belt better but the chest rig definately has it's place. I'm just a civilian who likes to take classes, I don't need to carry tons of ammo at one time. I like the belt better because it's cooler in the heat and I find it easier to manuver around in all the different firing positions and I've never lost a mag. I also find it a little more comfortable and fluid to do mag changes, but that's just me.

My old chest rig does sit idly by loaded with mags though. :thumbsup:

soup101

Mar 4, 2009
    Fantasy Island
    Great write up Kev :thumbsup:

The timing of this post is perfect as I'm currently putting together my BFG SOC-C belt. The holster portion answered alot of questions for me. Since I'm planning on running a Bladetech DOH I can see where replacing the flimsy belt will be well worth it. Thanks again for taking the time to post this.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I started with a chest rig and have migrated to a battle belt setup. For me, it works better for the kind of stuff I do. I like the battle belt better but the chest rig definately has it's place. I'm just a civilian who likes to take classes, I don't need to carry tons of ammo at one time. I like the belt better because it's cooler in the heat and I find it easier to manuver around in all the different firing positions and I've never lost a mag. I also find it a little more comfortable and fluid to do mag changes, but that's just me.

My old chest rig does sit idly by loaded with mags though. :thumbsup:

+1 I did by first training class w/a chest rig and found I was hot and overloaded all day. The second class, I wore a war belt and was much happier.

I bought the ATS and I'm very happy with it.

383305487.jpg

The only addition has been a Blue Force Medical pouch on the back where my gloves are hanging. I'll try to take some up-dated pics tonight.

Jamie

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Question for Kev or others. I'm currently using a very crappy set of suspenders(Eagle Y) because my 3-gun belt(not my battle belt) does not have D rings for a better set. Does anyone know a good set of suspenders that will either attach to a Molle belt (Blackhawk) or a way to attach D rings to a Molle belt.

Kevp

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2008
    What does the belt look like Russ? It is hard to make a recommendation without an idea of what it looks like. If it has MOLLE webbing, I can think of a number of solutions. Post a pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom