Does a Carry Permit Allow you to pay and go same day?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Here it comes......

LOL

Maybe, but I'd like to think that we are all adults here and can have a conversation.

While I understand your point. I cannot agree with his sentiment on the issue. It is rather selfish to say “Good” to anyone else’s infringement because we are infringed.

It's not a matter of being glad that someone else is infringed. It's a matter of being glad that we are all being treated the same, and that some people don't get "special rights" because of their jobs.

I'm not happy that my friends that are cops are having their rights infringed, I am happy because that part of the law doesn't continue the Maryland tradition of creating special classes of citizen who have more rights than others do. Whether that be business owners who can get carry permits that others can't, or police officers who can buy guns and magazines that others can't, the whole idea that some people get more rights than others because of their jobs is insulting and unconstitutional.

In this case, they got the law right in treating everyone the same, regardless of if they are a business owner and have a carry permit, if they're a cop, or if they're Joe Plumber who has 100 guns in a safe at home, or if they're Sally Accountant who is buying her first pistol ever. Of course, that sets aside the fact that I think Maryland's entire gun purchasing scheme is stupid and unconstitutional to begin with, but for that one small part (i.e. that everyone gets treated the same) they got it right.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    They do need department letterhead, but they are allowed to keep the banned firearm, even after they leave the department or retire. That is ********. Either they are issued the weapon or they don't get one. No exemptions for LE should be granted in that respect. They should have to suffer like we do, when dealing with firearm laws in MD.

We can't buy standard cap mags, but LE can.

There are the 2 classes. The MGA had made it subjects versus LE and politicians. That is the problem with the infringements.

Some examples of how the state gives power to LE over everyone else.

Parents who are LE can go onto school grounds armed. The rest of us cannot
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=4-102&ext=html&session=2019RS&tab=subject5
    (This was passed because Delegate Dumais's brother had been carrying off-duty on property and had been in violation of the law all along...).

LE in their official business are exempt from MD's 'assault weapons' ban
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...cle=gcr&section=4-302&ext=html&session=2019RS

And retired are also exempt from parts of our ban:
    And this
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...cle=gcr&section=4-305&ext=html&session=2019RS

If bad laws that strip the rights of Marylanders are to exist, they should apply to us equally. Anything else is an affront to our history and liberty (as are the laws of course, as if it needed to be said).

Exactly. There is ZERO reason to treat a cop differently than any of the rest of us when it comes to our rights.

By that logic... it follows that we should all pray that... as Americans who should be treated all the same... all other states should have no more freedoms than we do here in Maryland.

No reason to treat a Pennsylvania American any differently than a Maryland American. Right?

Or... instead of getting upset at the other Americans for having more freedoms... we work together to get ours back. How about that? How about... we stop the jealous train and get off of it and work together for ALL of us?

Or we can stay on the jealous train and be divided into “Us Vs. Them” groups within our own community... and let the left continue to win because we can’t stand together?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    By that logic... it follows that we should all pray that... as Americans who should be treated all the same... all other states should have no more freedoms than we do here in Maryland.

No. You're making a straw man there because we are discussing Maryland law and not Federal law, and I think you're missing the point of what I was saying (I can't speak for DC-W), but I'll address it anyways. I wasn't saying that we should drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator (which, in Maryland is your "Average Joe/Jane" person who isn't a cop and doesn't own a business). What I was saying is that we shouldn't have "special classes" in the first place. If being able to buy standard cap mags and non-HBAR ARs or other "assault rifles" is ok for a cop, it should be good for all of us. If being able to get a carry permit is ok for a business owner, it should be ok for all of us. There shouldn't be special classes.

That's totally aside from the fact that I disagree with these laws in the first place - the AWB is dumb and unconstitutional, the CCW law in Maryland is dumb and unconstitutional, and I think we all agree on those. I was just arguing against the historical practice, here in Maryland, of creating these special classes that are afforded more rights than the average Joe / Jane is. I.E. I don't think it's any more idiotic that a police officer, in uniform, with his/her issued sidearm open carried in the holster is made to wait the seven days than it is that Joe Plumber with 100 guns at home in his safe is made to wait the seven days or Jane Accountant who is buying her first gun is made to wait seven days. There is nothing that makes a cop more worthy of their rights than any other person.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    No. You're making a straw man there because we are discussing Maryland law and not Federal law, and I think you're missing the point of what I was saying
    No... my comparison was a Federal COTUS Rights issue. That is federal Law.
    "Police / Civilian" Vs. "Md. American Vs. Pa. American" = same thing. I will not say "Good" if the Pa. American were to be placed under the same restrictions as we Md. Americans are. That would be petty and childish to say.

The 2A is not simply a State Law issue.

(I can't speak for DC-W), but I'll address it anyways. I wasn't saying that we should drag everyone down to the lowest common denominator (which, in Maryland is your "Average Joe/Jane" person who isn't a cop and doesn't own a business). What I was saying is that we shouldn't have "special classes" in the first place. If being able to buy standard cap mags and non-HBAR ARs or other "assault rifles" is ok for a cop, it should be good for all of us. If being able to get a carry permit is ok for a business owner, it should be ok for all of us. There shouldn't be special classes.

FWIW... I do NOT believe that we should have special classes either... The idea of dragging others down to the lowest common denominator is just ridiculous butt hurt. I am happy for the Americans who live in other States where they get to enjoy the fullness of their COTUS rights. And I hope to see that freedom spread to us here.

YET... Every time the subject of a "Police Officer accused of committing any crime" comes up... The same folks who express their ire over the separation in the law for Police and weapons... Are the SAME folks who want the Police punished more because "...the Police should be held to a higher standard blah blah blah."
    Sorry...
    Can't have that both ways. Wanting separate classes for criminal accusations but not for 2A? Folks should choose a belief and stick with it.

No "rights for thee and not for me."
    AND...
    No "extra punishment for thee but not for me." either...

[1] That's totally aside from the fact that I disagree with these laws in the first place - the AWB is dumb and unconstitutional, the CCW law in Maryland is dumb and unconstitutional, and I think we all agree on those. I was just arguing against the historical practice, here in Maryland, of creating these special classes that are afforded more rights than the average Joe / Jane is. I.E. [3] I don't think it's any more idiotic that a police officer, in uniform, with his/her issued sidearm open carried in the holster is made to wait the seven days than it is that Joe Plumber with 100 guns at home in his safe is made to wait the seven days or Jane Accountant who is buying her first gun is made to wait seven days. [2] There is nothing that makes a cop more worthy of their rights than any other person.
    [1][2] I can and do agree with BOTH statements.

[2] I never implied that there should be any greater rights for any person over another.

[3] I DO believe it is more idiotic... IF Joe the Plumber or Jane Accountant is not OPEN CARRYING at the time.
    More idiotic because the sales staff and the public can readily see that the buyer... plumber, accountant OR LEO... is CARRYING a weapon OPENLY yet the sales staff is made to believe that the buyer WHO IS OPEN CARRYING is in need of a seven day wait before taking home the new purchase. NOT because the person in my example was a LEO.

May 19, 2016
    No... my comparison was a Federal COTUS Rights issue. That is federal Law.
    "Police / Civilian" Vs. "Md. American Vs. Pa. American" = same thing. I will not say "Good" if the Pa. American were to be placed under the same restrictions as we Md. Americans are. That would be petty and childish to say.

The 2A is not simply a State Law issue.

FWIW... I do NOT believe that we should have special classes either... The idea of dragging others down to the lowest common denominator is just ridiculous butt hurt. I am happy for the Americans who live in other States where they get to enjoy the fullness of their COTUS rights. And I hope to see that freedom spread to us here.

YET... Every time the subject of a "Police Officer accused of committing any crime" comes up... The same folks who express their ire over the separation in the law for Police and weapons... Are the SAME folks who want the Police punished more because "...the Police should be held to a higher standard blah blah blah."
    Sorry...
    Can't have that both ways. Wanting separate classes for criminal accusations but not for 2A? Folks should choose a belief and stick with it.

AND...

[1][2] I can and do agree with BOTH statements.

[2] I never implied that there should be any greater rights for any person over another.

[3] I DO believe it is more idiotic... IF Joe the Plumber or Jane Accountant is not OPEN CARRYING at the time.
    More idiotic because the sales staff and the public can readily see that the buyer... plumber, accountant OR LEO... is CARRYING a weapon OPENLY yet the sales staff is made to believe that the buyer WHO IS OPEN CARRYING is in need of a seven day wait before taking home the new purchase. NOT because the person in my example was a LEO.

We all have the same rights, and I'm sure most of us don't want our rights infringed via "color of law" (because these gun laws are all unconstitutional). I think what people are happy about is in a state like MD, where many people live in an environment where it's harder and harder to get any safe and holistic education of firearms, if Military and LEOs get a carve out, many of those people are less likely to keep fighting with us. And we need all of the people we can get.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    We all have the same rights, and I'm sure most of us don't want our rights infringed via "color of law" (because these gun laws are all unconstitutional). I think what people are happy about is in a state like MD, where many people live in an environment where it's harder and harder to get any safe and holistic education of firearms, if Military and LEOs get a carve out, many of those people are less likely to keep fighting with us. And we need all of the people we can get.

How about giving a little more credit to those of us in LE and retired from LE... There are damn few of us who do not want the same exact rights which you want... AND we want you to have the same rights as us.

In fact... EVERY TIME the noose gets tighter... WE stress as much if not more than you do. LE is forced to actually deal with the enforcement end of that equation and there are more than enough idiots who do stupid stuff and run afoul of the laws because their uncle's grandad's brother's sister in-law's baby daddy said it was legal. Then... a LEO has to come along and do what we HATE doing because we know it could have been avoided if folks would simply stop pushing limits they don't need to push and learn the truth about the laws as they stand.

I have seen firearms removed from homes and people... where the owner was otherwise a law abiding person... BUT... they listened to the wrong people and lost. One of the parts of LE which I HATED.

Just like the "WEED Vs. FIREARM FRENSY"... it is stupid... but for now at least until it can be changed it is STILL the law and violating it is just plain dumb.

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    Well, not to throw gas on any fires but LE can cash and carry a handgun if they have a letter from their department/commander that says that weapon they purchased will be used the course of their duty. That can simply include buying that gun to use as a backup to their service weapon.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Well, not to throw gas on any fires but LE can cash and carry a handgun if they have a letter from their department/commander that says that weapon they purchased will be used the course of their duty. That can simply include buying that gun to use as a backup to their service weapon.

That is absolutely NO different... than the Officer walking in and having a new firearm assigned to them from the Departments Armory. That firearm is necessary at the time the Department Commander determines it to be. And therefore in relation to any waiting period... is a non starter to this topic.

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Then get the handgun from the armory. If the law is good for one, then it is good for all. None of this de facto nobility (and that is exactly what it is when one class of citizens is granted a privilege the rest are not).

cms1528

Feb 26, 2013
    That is absolutely NO different... than the Officer walking in and having a new firearm assigned to them from the Departments Armory. That firearm is necessary at the time the Department Commander determines it to be. And therefore in relation to any waiting period... is a non starter to this topic.

I agree but I have seen that privilege personally misused on occasion with some LE getting a letter from their commander regardless if they were actually using that weapon on the job or not. I was only pointing out that as another option. Some agencies allow a back up weapon on their person or in their vehicle. But I've seen some LE buy several handguns using that route to stock up their personal collections. I don't condone that.

Not slamming anyone here just stating what I've seen as a retired LEO.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    FWIW... I do NOT believe that we should have special classes either... The idea of dragging others down to the lowest common denominator is just ridiculous butt hurt.

My butt feels just fine, thanks. And I never said anything about "dragging anyone down" anywhere. You're the one who brought that up. All that I said was that I feel that the law is correct in treating officers the same as normal people. You're the one who inferred that I somehow want to drag officers down to the "lowest common denominator," which in itself is telling.

Exactly.

AND...

Well, there are a whole parcel of crimes of which an officer can be found guilty that a civilian can't due to the nature of the job and the powers which are granted with the badge, so I'd say that goes with the territory.

Well, if it's the fact that the officer is openly carrying a firearm, then I ask you, why is he or she able to do that? Because they're a special class of person in this state, that's why. My point is that's no more idiotic than me going to the range with my gun, shooting it, and then going to buy a new one and having to wait.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    So the term "dragging down" would indicate a complete lack of equality in my mind. There would be no “dragging down” of anything if there were no carve outs for anyone

Just smacks of special interests at work.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Others may not feel this way.

perfectly ok by me.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    My butt feels just fine, thanks. And I never said anything about "dragging anyone down" anywhere. You're the one who brought that up. All that I said was that I feel that the law is correct in treating officers the same as normal people. You're the one who inferred that I somehow want to drag officers down to the "lowest common denominator," which in itself is telling.

Exactly.

Well, there are a whole parcel of crimes of which an officer can be found guilty that a civilian can't due to the nature of the job and the powers which are granted with the badge, so I'd say that goes with the territory.

Well, if it's the fact that the officer is openly carrying a firearm, then I ask you, why is he or she able to do that? Because they're a special class of person in this state, that's why. My point is that's no more idiotic than me going to the range with my gun, shooting it, and then going to buy a new one and having to wait.

Is it your duty by the nature of your employment to be carrying openly?

It IS the duty of the LEO in uniform, to be suitably armed in the performance of their job.

How about just stop hating on the Police and focus your attention on the politicians who make these F’ed up laws.

Or... continue to piss and moan about things which NEITHER of us has the immediate powers to do shit about. As if it is my fN fault the laws are what they are. :sad20:

Johnthetoolguy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 4, 2009
    Pasadena
    Back to the original question:
    I was wondering, and I think it was covered here before, does having your wear/carry permit in Maryland allow you to cash (whatever payment) and carry firearms from an FFL?

My BIL who lives in Texas has a carry permit. I have been with him when he went into a gun shop, bought a handgun and walked out with it. Another one of the reasons I want to move to Texas.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    How about just stop hating on the Police and focus your attention on the politicians who make these F’ed up laws.

Or how about you stop misinterpreting things that I'm saying. I don't "hate" the police, and I've not said anything in this thread that would indicate that I "hate" the police. Much the opposite in fact. You are choosing to interpret my desire that the police not be treated as a special class as "hating" them, and that's purely your deal.

Or... continue to piss and moan about things which NEITHER of us has the immediate powers to do shit about. As if it is my fN fault the laws are what they are. :sad20:

I don't think that I'm pissing and moaning about anything, and I'm certainly not upset at you, nor do I think it's somehow your fault that the law is what it is.

It's a dumb law, and it impacts all of us equally in this case. I just think that last part is a good thing, that's all.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Back to the original question:

My BIL who lives in Texas has a carry permit. I have been with him when he went into a gun shop, bought a handgun and walked out with it. Another one of the reasons I want to move to Texas.

Yup. There are multiple states (28, I think), like Texas where having a CCW (or in some of them, another kind of permit, or a certain kind of CCW) exempts you from the NICS check. Texas, for example, doesn't have a waiting period at all, but ATF has determined that their requirements for a CCW permit exempt that permit holder from a NICS check, so you walk in, show your permit, pay for the gun, and leave. No paperwork at all. That's the way it should be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom