Annapolis coffee shop employee rested for carrying concealed...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Doug Henderson, the owner of Zu Coffee, said Zuckerman made “a stupid mistake” and said he does not want any of his employees carrying a firearm inside the store.

Sounds like a good place to avoid. No concern about customer or employee safety. Maybe he should learn about the Georgetown Starbucks tragedy.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    2 counts of handgun on person. Trial scheduled for January

Attachments

• 9A9F6980-77CB-42AC-A272-55BB36F59B9D.jpg
      9A9F6980-77CB-42AC-A272-55BB36F59B9D.jpg
      72 KB · Views: 1,260

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Oh thank God. He could have been a real hazard to criminals.

And now for the Sheeple Quote of the Day from the article:

“He was just looking to protect the other employees here,” Henderson said. “It’s obviously a step in the wrong direction to go and do something like that.”

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    What gets me is that he doesn't need a permit to carry at work, so long as it's okay with the owners. Obviously from the article the owners are not okay with it, but, I wonder if they knew that at the time or whether they just arrested him anyway.

It's not like he was walking down the sidewalk and an officer saw him printing. This is a private business. All of these that I recall seeing have one thing in common -- the offender was in a public place and not at his place of work.

Hell, the owners could have at least said that they allowed him to do it just to keep him out of jail and then fired him later if they wanted to.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Sad, and since he hasn't decided to make crime his career he will probably be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

POP57

Ultimate Member
    Apr 5, 2016
    Delaware
    So who called the cops? An employee or a customer. I find it a little strange that he carried cuffs. I wonder if he had one of those CCW badges as well.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    I'd love to know the whole story.

Maybe trying to impress some moon boot wearing hottie? "Wanna see what I'm packin?" LOL

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    What gets me is that he doesn't need a permit to carry at work, so long as it's okay with the owners.

I'm fairly certain this is not correct. The law states you can carry at work, in your facility, if you are the owner of the business. Nothing is stated about carrying with the owners permission as an employee.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Supervisory Employees , with permission of owner.

But apparently not the case in this situation .

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    What gets me is that he doesn't need a permit to carry at work, so long as it's okay with the owners. Obviously from the article the owners are not okay with it, but, I wonder if they knew that at the time or whether they just arrested him anyway.

It's not like he was walking down the sidewalk and an officer saw him printing. This is a private business. All of these that I recall seeing have one thing in common -- the offender was in a public place and not at his place of work.

Hell, the owners could have at least said that they allowed him to do it just to keep him out of jail and then fired him later if they wanted to.
    Above bolded.

If they are unable to take firearms on a large scale they can place fear into the hearts of anyone owning or thinking of owning a firearm, I believe this has been mentioned before. Anyone suspected of a gun charge can have their collection confiscated and be put in need of an attorney (financial burden).

Or, wait for it .... red flag the person. I am wondering what Frosh would want done in this case? One would have to be crazy to CC in Annapolis, in this climate, without permission, however, probably not a threat.

ICBW

May 19, 2016
    Well, the handcuffs makes it a little weird. Seems to me something is off and there is more.

I seem to recall a number of nut-jobs recently entering coffee houses and stabbing/shooting people. These cases may have stemmed from domestic disputes, but this guy may have decided he would try to detain someone who came in threatening people.

I'm not him, I don't know. Who knows what lies in the hearts of men?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I seem to recall a number of nut-jobs recently entering coffee houses and stabbing/shooting people. These cases may have stemmed from domestic disputes, but this guy may have decided he would try to detain someone who came in threatening people.

I'm not him, I don't know. Who knows what lies in the hearts of men?

Yeah, don't do that. And don't try to stop someone who is running away by shooting them in the back. Outdoors, on property you dont own or rent, your ability to use deadly force generally ends when the threat stops and/or you can retreat. If the threats are only verbal, which seems likely to me in the situation you pose, a coffee shop employee detaining someone making verbal threats with deadly force will get them into a world of potential lawsuits (at minimum). If for some bizarre reason they decide to voluntarily give themselves up and stay put, my advice would be to stay 21 feet away (minimum) until the cops come. and don't brandish unless the verbal threat becomes actual threat, provided no retreat is available. Handcuffs are of zero value in MD because outside you generally have a duty to retreat from a threat. Trying to detain someone making verbal threats becomes a he-said he-said situation where one can get into trouble for a number of things.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You know and I know detaining almost always wouldn't be wise in those situations . But I could see a well intentioned person ( mistakenly) thinking that would be potentially useful option

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom