Are magazine "rebuild kits" legal to order over 10 rd size in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jhow85

Oct 13, 2018
    Searched. Couldn't find. Will delete if redundant.

Thanks

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The answer is "probably legal according to the letter of the law if you assemble out of state, not recommended to discuss".

Unfortunately, you've joined this month and asked this (reasonable) question, so you are going to now be accosted by the paranoid masses on this forum. Sorry!

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    As always, I offer up my favorite parking spot near the drive-thru at the Gettysburg McDonalds. Perfect light there for mag assembly.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Oh wow you assemble your mags there too!!?!?!?!??! :D

Well, mostly I just service them there, and perform certain return-to-standard-capacity operations to match factory specs. Because I am ALL about the safe, correct embrace of factory specs. For safety. And a cheeseburger.

Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    As always, I offer up my favorite parking spot near the drive-thru at the Gettysburg McDonalds. Perfect light there for mag assembly.

I prefer the militaria store across the street. Craig always has cool stuff for sale.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    It's much simpler to just follow the law. If you want standard capacity magazines that can't be bought or transferred legally in Maryland go to a neighboring state, buy them, and bring them back. Totally legal and there's no prohibition on possessing and using them in Maryland.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    It's much simpler to just follow the law. If you want standard capacity magazines that can't be bought or transferred legally in Maryland go to a neighboring state, buy them, and bring them back. Totally legal and there's no prohibition on possessing and using them in Maryland.

I second THIS ^^. It's the KISS Principle

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD

Yeah I was really more or less kidding about going to McDonald's in Gettysburg.

Just go out of state and bring them in.

I went all the way to Texas once for AK74 mags. Now, understand I was ALREADY there for something else.... :rolleyes:

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    I may or may not have been in Alabama once. I may or may not have purchased normal capacity mags. I may or may not have brought back said normal capacity mags in checked luggage. I may or may not have done this from a couple states in free America. Then again, this is all hearsay.
    All kidding aside, depending where you live, you can't be more than an hour in any direction from PA, VA, DE. Take a short drive and be done with it.

1841DNG

Ultimate Member
    Apr 17, 2016

Personally I may or may not just buy new ones at the gun store in Gettysburg but I respect your dedication to safely refurbishing damaged products. Really helping the environment. Reduce, reuse, recycle. Keep those damaged mags out of the landfill.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    A magazine “repair kit” is nothing more than a complete magazine in a bag. The law states you cannot “sell, offer to sell, rent, transfer or manufacture a magazine greater than 10 rounds”. Assembling a magazine from parts could be considered the final step in the manufacturing process, so a “repair kit” could be considered violating the law. A few places in Maryland have been put on the hot plate for attempting to side step the law in this manner, from what I’ve heard. As others have said, it’s best to leave the state to acquire the magazines of your choice and not try to push the intent of the law. If someone decides you’re going to be the test case, you could end up being in a world of trouble... LOL

Just my two cents.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do yourself a favor and see if you are within a reasonable drive to an out of state Cabela’s. If so go online and order all of the magazines you want with in-store pickup as the shipping option. Within 5 days (usually sooner) the store will have your order in and you can pickup all of your standard capacity or high capacity magazines without breaking the law.

You could just pop in and pick them up but depending on what you need they may not carry them in store or may be out of stock in store. I had to order my 21rd Sig magazines because they don’t stock them. It was well worth the 2.5 hour round trip to not be limited to 10 round magazines.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I'm pretty sure the law is written such that you can buy a new spring, follower, etc. to fix a mag you already own. This way you can fix up that old CZ-82 twelve round mag without driving out of state. OTOH, ordering a bunch of "repair kits" so that you can build replacement CZ-82 mags is where you might get into trouble.

Like others have said, it is best to go out of state if you are attempting to increase the number of standard capacity magazines you own. Repairing C&R mags is usually cheaper than trying to find and buy surplus ones.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The use of "standard capacity" and "high capacity" terms just needs to stop. The distinctions are purely political. I understand the motivations. However, a magazine is a magazine. The capacity only matters to the operator of the firearm that it is attached to. Propagating the use of capacity modifiers such as "standard", "high", and "low" plays into the hands of those who have and would further regulate based on capacity. The word "magazine" is all that is necessary.

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    I believe you can buy everything except the mag tube. So springs, followers, base plate etc. These are the basic repair items and repairing a mag that you already own is not against the law. If the intent is to buy all the parts for a complete mag and build it (and I'm certainly not saying that it is) then that's rather silly, just run to the closest border state and buy one.....or more.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There used to be some places that would sell such kits.

As I understand it, MD AG office sent them a letter to cease and desist or be prosecuted (or at least charged). So they stopped. I don't know of anyone selling them to MD these days.

But I agree with the others, just go out of state and buy what you want. I was in the Ganders Outdoors in York, and I may have bought a couple of standard cap P-mags. I told the checkout person, I was from MD and the law required that I buy them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom