• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I didn't direct my comments to you. But I do hope that you and others haven't dampened the enthusiasm of any would-be Wolf voters from voting at all.

He needs all the votes that everyone can help muster, and some of those are likely straight-ticket voters, starting at the top.

I quite seriously doubt that those of us who refuse to vote in your preferred manner have suppressed the vote, as you have previously suggested (or stated outright?). Slavish devotion to party is obscene to anyone who has even a shred of respect for our republic.

The kind of people who vote straight ticket are, generally, all too happy to get out to the polls because (insert major party of choice) has to defeat (insert the other major party of choice) in this election, which of course is the Most Important Election of Your Life! (copyright Democrat/Republican Parties).

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I quite seriously doubt that those of us who refuse to vote in your preferred manner have suppressed the vote, as you have previously suggested (or stated outright?). Slavish devotion to party is obscene to anyone who has even a shred of respect for our republic.

The kind of people who vote straight ticket are, generally, all too happy to get out to the polls because (insert major party of choice) has to defeat (insert the other major party of choice) in this election, which of course is the Most Important Election of Your Life! (copyright Democrat/Republican Parties).

I believe Quinn would a good candidate in a open governor's seat. He's getting his name out there while undermining a good governor. Hogan is not a 2A friend. He wasn't gonna burn political capital by vetoing a bill. I agree ,a huge mistake. But, it was gonna be overridden. Then Jellyloser would have more of a chance of winning.
    And guess what? Quinn still loses. Plus, the whole state of Maryland.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    we have two options here, bad and worse you decide.

False dilemma.

I believe Quinn would a good candidate in a open governor's seat. He's getting his name out there while undermining a good governor. Hogan is not a 2A friend. He wasn't gonna burn political capital by vetoing a bill. I agree ,a huge mistake. But, it was gonna be overridden. Then Jellyloser would have more of a chance of winning.

The political sausage making is what it is, unfortunately.

I do not regard my 2A rights as a bargaining chip, something that can suffer yet further abuses because of the boogeyman who would be so much worse. This line of thinking allows whichever GOP candidate of choice to run on what amounts to a gun grabbing platform, so long as the Democrat is juuuuuuust a little bit more grabby. They win, we lose.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. I drew it when Hogan refused to veto the nonsense. I etched it in stone after Hogan had a PR stunt with those bitches.

Your line may be different, which is of course fine.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Who cost GHW Bush the election? GHW Bush.

Who cost Ken Cuccinelli the election? Ken Cuccinelli.

Who might cost Larry Hogan the election? Larry Hogan.

Cost? Who paid the price for the losses in #1 and 2 above? The American people, and the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia, respectively. (Actually, the political trial of his predecessor, later overturned by the courts, hurt too).

And, who would pay the price of a Hogan loss? The citizens of Maryland.

It's not about them. It's about us.

"Don't cut off your nose to spite your face."

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    False dilemma.

The political sausage making is what it is, unfortunately.

I do not regard my 2A rights as a bargaining chip, something that can suffer yet further abuses because of the boogeyman who would be so much worse. This line of thinking allows whichever GOP candidate of choice to run on what amounts to a gun grabbing platform, so long as the Democrat is juuuuuuust a little bit more grabby. They win, we lose.

The line has to be drawn somewhere. I drew it when Hogan refused to veto the nonsense. I etched it in stone after Hogan had a PR stunt with those bitches.

Your line may be different, which is of course fine.

I don't want Jealous as governor.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    By all means , everyone should vote every time . And I urge them to vote for Wolf, and all worthy candidates down ballot .

bibitor

Kulak
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2017
    FEMA Region III
    A quick note on Quinn. I do not believe he ever took this election seriously. I received information about his campaign from one of his family member back over the summer. I went to his website, signed-up to be a volunteer with his campaign. I never heard back. I repeated the process in August. I never heard back. I have not received as much as an email from his campaign and I sincerely thought he had just dropped out of the race.

I sure do like his political stance, but why would I vote for someone who doesn't take their own campaign seriously?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md

Just for clarity those laws could have been vetoed and could NOT have been overridden until the second mga session from the election.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

Had Hogan sacked up and vetoed the bills, neither one could have been over ridden per the Maryland State Constitution.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Just for clarity those laws could have been vetoed and could NOT have been overridden until the second mga session from the election.

The vetoes could not have been over ridden period. The bills would have to be brought back (under new bill numbers) in order to have another chance at passing.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    The vetoes could not have been over ridden period. The bills would have to be brought back (under new bill numbers) in order to have another chance at passing.

Yes my answer fell short of a complete explanation, thank you for completely explaining it!

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Hogan is polling well with black voters in MD ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...e1ede2-d631-11e8-aeb7-ddcad4a0a54e_story.html

Like the national party, Maryland Democrats have long relied on African Americans to turn out in large numbers for their candidates, an expectation rooted in loyalty passed down through generations.

But Hogan’s black support has more than doubled since his first campaign for governor in 2014, from 14 percent to 33 percent, according to a Washington Post-University of Maryland poll earlier this month. A survey by Morgan State University released last week echoed the finding.

Jealous garnered support from 57 percent of black voters in the Post-U-Md. poll, far lower than 97 percent of black voters in Maryland who backed Barack Obama in 2012. Hogan’s job approval among blacks nearly doubled, reaching 60 percent, while disapproval remained at 22 percent, little changed since his first month in office.

... the growth of Hogan’s black support is noteworthy, particularly because Jealous is a nationally known civil rights leader who once led the NAACP.

“It speaks volumes to the perception of Larry Hogan — that he’s not a Republican, he’s just Larry Hogan,” said Clarence Mitchell IV, a black former state senator who hosts a Baltimore-based radio show. “He doesn’t govern politically. You may not agree with him, but he does what he thinks should be done.”

The Rev. Doug Miles, a leader of a nonpartisan coalition of congregations and civic groups in Baltimore, said Hogan’s standing among blacks is less about his accomplishments and more about accumulated frustration toward the long-dominant Democratic establishment.

“Fortunes in Baltimore have gone down rather than up,” the pastor said, citing entrenched poverty and crime and schools that never seem to get better. “What you’re seeing is the result of ineffectiveness of the Democratic Party over the past 25 years to deliver in a meaningful way for African Americans in Baltimore and Maryland.”

“To the extent that Republicans can deliver without being ridiculous on civil rights, they will have a receptive ear,” said Theodore Johnson, a senior fellow at the Brennan Center for Justice. “It’s really not that difficult. Black voters want what everyone else wants.”

As a voting bloc, Johnson said, a majority of the black electorate identifies as moderate to conservative, which may help explain why Jealous is struggling. While Jealous supports marijuana legalization to pay for universal prekindergarten, for example, many black leaders, including clergy, are opposed.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

Had Hogan sacked up and vetoed the bills, neither one could have been over ridden per the Maryland State Constitution.

I had forgotten that. That was very weak of Hogan. Again, I'm not gonna suck down the Larry juice. He has not been a friend to the 2A! But, he has done more for this freaking crap state than any other governor in half a century.
    I like the long game of making the R more palatable to fence sitters. Let help down ballot and AG. Maybe it gets even in the MGA, one can hope in a election cycle or two. The reality of it, its Hogan or Jealous for me. Two party politics is what it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom