• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Post count now shows 19 but half of those were deleted by OP. If done by Thor’s hammer they would be deleted permanently. These are the “tags” OP placed on this thread.

Attachments

• 3FD32855-D865-492E-B375-D669CA62886E.jpg
      3FD32855-D865-492E-B375-D669CA62886E.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 358

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Still trying to understand the purpose of tagging a thread you start. If you want to check it then select your name and select “all threads started”. What other purpose is there? Almost 5 years posting and I never used it.

Livingthedream

Feb 20, 2017
    Still trying to understand the purpose of tagging a thread you start. If you want to check it then select your name and select “all threads started”. What other purpose is there? Almost 5 years posting and I never used it.

Would it come up if you googled those terms? Maybe he was trying to make it easier for people googling those terms.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    only seeing part of this after the origional poster deleted most of the content. I find myself asking, a question. I'm nieve and want to know (not being a troll) that should i build one from an 80%.. i'm legal.

Might be easier to call a gun smith actually but my question is. whats the difference between an "ar pistol from 80% lower" and a "ar sbr from an 80% lower". i know there are fees, background check, waiting etc etc for a SBR but... is it really just the "stabilizing brace vs 'stock' " that sets them apart (pistol vs sbr)??

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    or just build it into a pistol thats 26 inches or longer, slap on a sba3 brace or other style and you got the same exact thing as an sbr. it can even be 3 inches shorter than an SBR in maryland which must be 29 inches overall length

save $200
    reasoning of an 80% lower still viable = off the books

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    only seeing part of this after the origional poster deleted most of the content. I find myself asking, a question. I'm nieve and want to know (not being a troll) that should i build one from an 80%.. i'm legal.

Might be easier to call a gun smith actually but my question is. whats the difference between an "ar pistol from 80% lower" and a "ar sbr from an 80% lower". i know there are fees, background check, waiting etc etc for a SBR but... is it really just the "stabilizing brace vs 'stock' " that sets them apart (pistol vs sbr)??

if you put a stock on the 80% you would have to have a upper with a 16 inch barrel or longer so it wouldnt be an SBR.

if you start off with a pistol buffer tube and pistol brace then you can put whatever length barrel you want on it

so yes it really just comes down to if you put a stock on it or not because you can legally have a standard buffer tube (that would fit a collapsable stock) on a pistol lower but it becomes dicey if you have a stock laying around in which ATF can charge you with constructive intent

the new SBa3 brace uses a standard rifle buffer tube and that is being used legally and is incredibly popular

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    I’ve shot both. A real SBR is more comfortable to shoot IMHO

i agree with that, but being able to take it state to state without ATF notification is a huge positive. and these braces are getting more "stock" like every year so its hard to beat. especially if you can do all of this with an 80% lower

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If they get “stock like enough” I look for ATF to change their mind on legality. I file my 5320.20 for travel for a year out so for that it’s not a huge hassle. Normal times for a new filing run about a month do so don’t view that as a deal breaker.

But that’s just me as I noted

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    if you put a stock on the 80% you would have to have a upper with a 16 inch barrel or longer so it wouldnt be an SBR.

if you start off with a pistol buffer tube and pistol brace then you can put whatever length barrel you want on it

so yes it really just comes down to if you put a stock on it or not because you can legally have a standard buffer tube (that would fit a collapsable stock) on a pistol lower but it becomes dicey if you have a stock laying around in which ATF can charge you with constructive intent

the new SBa3 brace uses a standard rifle buffer tube and that is being used legally and is incredibly popular

all great info thanks guys. i want to expand on this just a little more.

Lets start with a standard/rifle tube with a pistol BRACE/blade and any length barrel. Can i then take the pistol brace/blade off and use a regular rifle stock assuming i have a 16+ inch barrel on it? then go back to pistol blade/brace and shorter barrel to go back to pistol configuration?

i wouldn't be taking it to the range.. in case there's some panic etc etc. this is for personal use out on private property but still wanna be legal w/ ATF.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If it never had a stock I’d say it’s legal but IANAL. BATF says if it starts as a pistol it can become a rifle and back to a pistol. It cannot be done if it was originally barreled as a rifle

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Some people wrap a standard buffer tube so a stock cannot be installed. I don’t know if that’s enough to defend against a constructive possession charge or not.

But having only had a brace on a standard tube doesn’t make it a rifle IMO.

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    a friend pointed out that.. i already have a "rifle" ar15, and recomended i just make this one 100% pistol. minimize unintentional mix ups etc etc. less sketchy too...

DevinRPD

May 3, 2017
    Talbot
    a friend pointed out that.. i already have a "rifle" ar15, and recomended i just make this one 100% pistol. minimize unintentional mix ups etc etc. less sketchy too...

yeah good idea. if you already have a designated rifle lower than i wouldnt worry about making your second build multi-purpose unless multi means 5.56 and 300 blackout :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom