• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    You have to go to the FFL, purchase your firearm and give them your pin to submit their portion of the 77R for the process to start.

There is nothing for MSP to complete before you go to the FFL. You have been waiting for nothing to happen.

Application number and PIN.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Well I purchased a handgun from a member here, got my HQL today, filed 77R today, but since its P2P we have to go to the barrack to complete the 77r, THEN we can meet 7 days later to transfer.

Taken5875

Feb 8, 2017
    I suck at all this paperwork s**t and following directions so I'm not 100% sure if I've got this correct or not. What I've done so far is take the HQL class, live scan then submitted all that info to the online state police (portal).
    I submitted on the 9th. so are you saying that on the 16th I will receive an email containing a magic list of numbers that I take to the local FFL. Or are you saying that I should have already received an email containing said numbers? So far the only item that has been checked on the (portal) list is application/license fee everything else says unchecked and the other screen says license pending. Thanks in advance for any insite. I apologize for any misspellings or lack of punctuation as I am a product of NHHS.

Last edited:

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I suck at all this paperwork s**t and following directions so I'm not 100% sure if I've got this correct or not. What I've done so far is take the HQL class, live scan then submitted all that info to the online state police (portal).
    I submitted on the 9th. so are you saying that on the 16th I will receive an email containing a magic list of numbers that I take to the local FFL. Or are you saying that I should have already received an email containing said numbers? So far the only item that has been checked on the (portal) list is application/license fee everything else says unchecked and the other screen says license pending. Thanks in advance for any insite. I apologize for any misspellings or lack of punctuation as I am a product of NHHS.

We are discussing the electronic 77R, something else you get to deal with online after you get your HQL. You still have a bit of time, but in general, HQL has taken 28 - 30 days for them to mail.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Little bit of insider info. FFL's have been getting approvals in 3-5 days. The purchaser gets their ND email on the day they are allowed to pick up.

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    This is what happened to me. Purchased a stripped lower from my FFL on 2-8. Kept checking the status on line. On 2-10, the actual 77r said it was being sent for a second review. On 2-13 it said not disapproved. On 2-15 I got the email saying I could pick it up.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    If you go into the system, and Print the 77r, you will see it will be Not Disapproved much sooner than 7 days.

IMO, they do not send out the email to keep people who do not understand the process from going to their FFL and not being able to pick up as it is not yet 7 days.

BTW, if there is a holiday in the 7 day period, they email will come on the 8th day.

Their logic for the email is slightly flawed from the printed info on the hard copy 77r.

I agree, but we simply tell customers to wait for the email, and then grab their gun anytime after it comes, works great.

The fact that a printed copy shows up not disapproved before that is likely a bug that can be fixed. I'll check it out tomorrow and shoot MSP an email on that quirk, as it could indeed cause misunderstandings.

even if your approved before 7 days, the law still says 7 days, so MSP doesn't send the email until 7 days. have elapsed. Prevents people from showing up early if they got an email when the actual approval occurs.

MSP actually did something right.

Agreed.

This is what happened to me. Purchased a stripped lower from my FFL on 2-8. Kept checking the status on line. On 2-10, the actual 77r said it was being sent for a second review. On 2-13 it said not disapproved. On 2-15 I got the email saying I could pick it up.

Maybe this is a dumb question but since HB281 you can only build/by HBAR riffles witch are cash and carry why is it required to do the 77R and not just the ATF F4473? unless it's in case or intended you're building an AR pistol.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I agree, but we simply tell customers to wait for the email, and then grab their gun anytime after it comes, works great.

The fact that a printed copy shows up not disapproved before that is likely a bug that can be fixed. I'll check it out tomorrow and shoot MSP an email on that quirk, as it could indeed cause misunderstandings.

Agreed.

A buyer may be able to see the Not Disapproved before the 7th day, but without the PIN that you receive in that 7th day email, the dealer can't complete the 77R.

montigre

May 16, 2016
    And just to get pedantic, you will never get "approved" to buy a handgun in Maryland. You will only ever get "not disapproved." :rolleyes: Hey, it's Maryland.

Yeah, that "not disapproved" really made me laugh when I got mine. :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No.

If you just applied for the HQL, that can take 30 days to get the card. Until you get the card, you cannot start an application to purchase a handgun.

Once you get your HQL, THEN you go into the 77r portal and start an application. Once you do that, you will get an email with an Application Number and a PIN. You can wait and do this at the FFL, but you will need to have access to your email. Either on your phone or using the FFLs computer to log into your email account.

Then you go shopping. When you find what you want to buy, you provide the Application Number and PIN to the FFL and they do their thing. They may have to get on their computer to pay the $10 fee with your credit card, or they will pay it and charge you. You will also fill out a paper 4473 form for the BATFE requirements.

Then you wait 7 days, and you will get the email saying you can pick up your handgun. Go to FFL, provide the Application Number and PIN and they will finish the online part and give you your pistol.

Oh, and somewhere in that process you will pay the FFL. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My dad got his not disapproved email exactly 7 days after the purchase. Was a painless process.

As has been said, the email is sent out on the 7th day. Even if your application is Not Disapproved earlier.

IMO, this is to avoid people going to their FFL early to pick up and being told they still had to wait.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Agreed.

Very few people will likely check that printed copy. And most understand that they have to wait until the 7th day.

But it does seem that their logic for the email is not based on what is printed on the back of the paper 77r. In that, there have been reports of having to wait until the 8th day, if there is a holiday in the 7 days, even if the 7th day doesn't fall on a holiday.

And I have seen people state they got their email on Sunday, but supposedly, if the 7th day falls on Sunday, you have to wait until Monday. Probably due to no changes since the process went into affect, and MD used to have serious Blue Laws. NOTHING was open on Sunday. :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    A buyer may be able to see the Not Disapproved before the 7th day, but without the PIN that you receive in that 7th day email, the dealer can't complete the 77R.

I don't think it is a new PIN, it is the same PIN as the first email.

blackcrow

Jun 18, 2012
    77r wait

I purchased a pistol at a MD auction gave FFL pin# and still had to fill out a form for the Feds. Crazy still had paperwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom