would an SBR be a good choice for a woman?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I would build a pencil barrel AR15 with everything lightweight. I've got an A1 that weighs in at about 5 lbs. If you're in the Harford County area, we can meet and she can at least shoulder the rifle to see what she thinks.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    I have a couple of Police Turn-In, H&K Model 94 SBRs (SEMIAUTOMATIC) in stock.

These are great for smaller shooters.

mps.jpg

Holy cow those sbr 94's are sweet! The mp5 is my favorite smg. I'd hate to ask what they are going for. Maybe it's best I don't ever see those in real life.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    not sure if serious..........

Yes serious. I wouldn't want to shoot any centerfire rifle cartridge indoors with out earpro/suppressor. A 5.56 SBR with a muzzle break is concussive. You would have hearing damage. It doesn't matter how much adrenaline you have going.
    That doesn't mean I wouldn't do it if the situation dictated, but its not an option I like and I am prepared for that.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I would have imeadtely sugguested a 16in pencil bbl , but since the OP didn't mention having grandfathered AR lower(s) , I didn't want to tease him. If he does have a suitable Md legal host lower , by all means explore that. While people may question their long term durability, a Carbon 15 would have been right up this alley.

*In General* , in firing a cpl rounds in self defense or actual hunting , the noise will not be noticed / minimal distraction. Snubnose full powered .44Mag , and 10.5 and shorter ifle cal SBR can reach the point of serious hearing loss. There is a well circulated story of a Federal Agent who used a 2.75in .44Mag inside a car to kill two drug dealers who were about to kill him. He survived the gunfight , but was retired due to deafness. I fired my 2.75in .44Mag w/o hearing protection ONCE while hunting (in an open field) I Hurt , and my ears rang the rest of the day.

Back in Vietnam era , the Mil considered the origional XM177 too loud , and added the "sound moderator" which made the muzzle blast more or less equiv to 20in M16 .

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    EXACTLY!!

It's less painful to lose a firearm you haven't spent a fair amount of money on, and had to wait 5-9 months to actually receive (definitely quicker with a trust, but still...).

step one, defend yourself, step two, run to the safe to switch out lowers.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I heard the Tunnel Rats in Vietnam had a suppressed 45 round, I think I was told wrong. AAI modified a S&W mod 29 into a smooth bore shooting tungsten pellets QSPR Quiet Special Purpose Revolver.
    The ammo might be hard to find but unless you live in a palace, it would be the perfect HD gun.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I would have imeadtely sugguested a 16in pencil bbl , but since the OP didn't mention having grandfathered AR lower(s) , I didn't want to tease him. If he does have a suitable Md legal host lower , by all means explore that. While people may question their long term durability, a Carbon 15 would have been right up this alley.

*In General* , in firing a cpl rounds in self defense or actual hunting , the noise will not be noticed / minimal distraction. Snubnose full powered .44Mag , and 10.5 and shorter ifle cal SBR can reach the point of serious hearing loss. There is a well circulated story of a Federal Agent who used a 2.75in .44Mag inside a car to kill two drug dealers who were about to kill him. He survived the gunfight , but was retired due to deafness. I fired my 2.75in .44Mag w/o hearing protection ONCE while hunting (in an open field) I Hurt , and my ears rang the rest of the day.

Back in Vietnam era , the Mil considered the origional XM177 too loud , and added the "sound moderator" which made the muzzle blast more or less equiv to 20in M16 .

+1, when the adrenaline wears off, the ringing remains.

240 towles

master of puppets
    Mar 31, 2009
    ?
    I heard the Tunnel Rats in Vietnam had a suppressed 45 round, I think I was told wrong. AAI modified a S&W mod 29 into a smooth bore shooting tungsten pellets QSPR Quiet Special Purpose Revolver.
    The ammo might be hard to find but unless you live in a palace, it would be the perfect HD gun.

From what I read, specialized tunnel rat troops had the fancy pistols, the majority of the rats were small framed infantry troops with standard USGI 1911s and standard ammo. If you were real cool, you might end up with a special K.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    How about some upper body conditioning?

It will help her pistol shooting, as well as being able to shoulder a rifle. If she can't shoulder a 16" rifle, a 10.5" will not be THAT much lighter. It is only 6" of barrel.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

The suppressed 45 was called the "hush puppy". It's function was to silence the village dogs which were used as a early warning system.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Remember, HD scenario - your not likely to see that firearm again for a little while (at best), or ever again (at worst).

Replace stained carpet: $485
    Fix door jamb: $167
    Spackle and paint holes in the wall: $48.22
    Replace SBR locked up in evidence: $2100
    Lawyers bill: $50,000
    Alive and able to talk about it: Priceless

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The $ value of firearms will be small change compared to legal fees.

That said ; skinny bbl AR's , Ak's ,sub 29in SBR's can not be replaced.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    HiPoint carbine. :innocent0

I wouldn't rule them out. They may be ugly, and somewhat rough around the edges - but they shoot straight, are relatively light, short, and reliable, and most importantly they're cheap to replace.

In that situation, Survival and protection of my family are my only concerns. I can replace ANY firearm that I own.

Replace stained carpet: $485
    Fix door jamb: $167
    Spackle and paint holes in the wall: $48.22
    Replace SBR locked up in evidence: $2100
    Lawyers bill: $50,000
    Alive and able to talk about it: Priceless

I'll make no argument there, survival is the primary concern. If all the OP has is an SBR, then by all means, do what you have to do.

But if the OP is ONLY interested in an SBR for HD duty, then IMO he's making a significant investment in something that he may never see again if it ever has to fill that purpose. For what he'd spend on an SBR, he could have numerous other firearms to fit that purpose, that wouldn't be an issue if they never got returned.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    But if the OP is ONLY interested in an SBR for HD duty, then IMO he's making a significant investment in something that he may never see again if it ever has to fill that purpose. For what he'd spend on an SBR, he could have numerous other firearms to fit that purpose, that wouldn't be an issue if they never got returned.

The purpose he mentioned was rather specific, an SBR would fit it quite well. Few of the other options mentioned do quite what a SBR will do.

Defensive gun uses in the home are uncommon, I would be suprised if there are 20 in the state per year. The concern about losing an SBR after a defensive gun use in the home is about as rational as worrying about the expense of re-charging a fire extinguisher after you put out a fire in your home.

thai

May 8, 2013
    I can't think of any lightweight sbr. Those HKs are fairly heavy, as is my HK53. PS90 and Tavors are no less lighter. Also the lighter the sbr the more muzzle blast and kick due to super short barrels. I would compromise with the heaviest sbr she can carry and still engage target competently at whatever range she feels comfortable. Probably the AR format is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom