would an SBR be a good choice for a woman?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    Need some input guys!
    My wife wants to be capable of defending herself in any home defense/shtf type of scenario. She is decent with a handgun but wants a rifle option.
    She likes shooting the AR but needs a bipod at the range. She just has a hard time shouldering and firing a 16" barreled gun accurately due to its weight and overall length. She likes my ruger 10/22 takedown but once again it's too long and has a 3x9 scope on it and she wants to shoot both eyes open using a red dot (she likes my Aimpoint pro! ;)).
    Do you think a 7.5 or 10" SBR with sig pistol brace (or just buffer tube)might be a good choice? I'm thinking of both the weight and length issue.
    Do any of your wives/girlfriends shoot them? How do they like them?
    Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Best,
    Jim

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The Beretta Storm is very light and handy.
    30 rounds of +P Gold Dots are adequate for defense and will be much quieter than an SBR in 5.56.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I intend to build her a 9mm or .40 AR SBR for that purpose (probably with a can). If I could go to the store and buy a MP5k with the 3-round burst trigger, thats what I would get.

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012
    I have a couple of Police Turn-In, H&K Model 94 SBRs (SEMIAUTOMATIC) in stock.

These are great for smaller shooters.

mps.jpg

Last edited:

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    SBR's are inherently light but the blast is excessive. I would not want to shoot one without earpro or a suppressor.

My 11.5" barrel is 6lbs 2oz with a T1 on a qd mount.
    Adding a qd light, suppressor and loaded 30rnd mag its about 8.75lbs
    You could probably get near 8lbs with a Ti suppressor and 20rnd mag.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    SBR's are inherently light but the blast is excessive. I would not want to shoot one without earpro or a suppressor.

not sure if serious..........

A1Uni

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2012

Rifle calibers, I would agree, but with pistol caliber SBRs, certainly no louder or more muzzle blast than a handgun. Ear protection, ALWAYS.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    in a last resort self defense scenario you will HARDLY be bothered to worry about the excessive noise of whatever firearm you choose to defend yourself with. i think we are thinking a tad too much into this.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Remember, HD scenario - your not likely to see that firearm again for a little while (at best), or ever again (at worst).

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Remember, HD scenario - your not likely to see that firearm again for a little while (at best), or ever again (at worst).

and? if it saves my life, i am happy to be alive. not worrying about my weapon. ill just buy a new one. that is the least of the concerns.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    and? if it saves my life, i am happy to be alive. not worrying about my weapon. ill just buy a new one. that is the least of the concerns.

Agreed, my life is worth more than a rifle. All I'm saying is, be prepared to lose that nice little SBR.

There's offerings with a equitable size of a SBR, but less financial investment.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Agreed, my life is worth more than a rifle. All I'm saying is, be prepared to lose that nice little SBR.

There's offerings with a equitable size of a SBR, but less financial investment.

gotcha. yea would be a shame indeed! especially after a LOOONG wait and $200 sent to the eric holder pension fund :innocent0 :tdown:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    gotcha. yea would be a shame indeed! especially after a LOOONG wait and $200 sent to the eric holder pension fund :innocent0 :tdown:

EXACTLY!!

It's less painful to lose a firearm you haven't spent a fair amount of money on, and had to wait 5-9 months to actually receive (definitely quicker with a trust, but still...).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Don't forget in the post 10/01/13 world , you're dealing with 29in OAL and HBAR. Within those constraints might as well do a 11.5in with pinned 5.5in muzzle break , and stay in the Title 1 realm.

Or buy A1's M94 SBR. Or the HiPoint carbine suggestion is not a joke.

Merlin593

Mar 29, 2013
    Towson, MD
    The Beretta Storm is very light and handy.
    30 rounds of +P Gold Dots are adequate for defense and will be much quieter than an SBR in 5.56.

I appreciate all the replies
    I didn't think about the storm.
    But very interesting option and I think I'll research this a bit more.
    It's light weight, has a pic rail for optics, accurate out to 100 yds and pretty compact.
    I think I'll take her to see one, shoulder it etc.
    even if she ends up with one, I'll probably still want an ar pistol for myself ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom