• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Very true what mac1-131 said, virtually all of Marylands gun laws are unfortunately the result of political ploys and gambits over many years of devicive political fighting. Many/most of Marylands gun laws have very little to do with actual safety or true 'common sense', but were designed to play 'gotcha' on the political stage. We need a complete reset; where there are a few simple and very strong laws that actually keep dangerous weapons out of the hands of violent criminals, by deterring them, making it harder for them to get guns, easier to catch them, and punishment commensurate with the crime.

Until this happens we have a very confusing grab bag of laws that, some of which I believe were intentionally poorly written so as to keep some crooked politicians/lawyers employed. Some of Marylands laws are unconstitutional and therefore illegal.

Many, many law abiding citizens in Maryland are forced to choose between going unarmed when/where they know there is danger that any reasonable person would/should be armed, or break the law. If a law abiding citizen is discovered carrying 'technically' illegally, they could forever lose their right to own firearms or worse. This is an intolerable situation that must change. There are a lot of good people trying to remedy this situation, Maryland should be a Shall Isssue state. But unfortunately there is a much larger number of people that simply don't know they have the power to fix this and make it right. We need to inform and empower the people to take back this state. If it weren't for all the federal employees/money being poured in to prop up this otherwise failed state, Maryland would be inconsequential at the national level. BALTIMORE is a failed experiment - no state can subsidize an entire city for generations and hope people will eventually grow out of poverty. Maryland 'gun problems' are not the result of guns or gun ownership by the law abiding, it's the result of criminals, failed policies, and complex socio-economic issues that can be fixed.

I want my state back.

Thankfully there are a handful of politicians like Larry Hogan that are trying to right the ship.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    I thought it was the other way around , you must be making the big bucks if you are coming here .
    Good luck to you and welcome to Maryland

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    Does anyone happen to have the link for the new resident registration since the site redesign? I can't seem to find a working link.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    Welcome! We need more like minded people here. We even have a Republican governor, unlike the Virginians. It isn't as bad as some might have you believe.

If you own a post ban weapon, sell it and just buy more guns when you get here. Get a HBAR or a SCAR or even a 18" barreled Tavor, cash and carry because they are far safer than any pencil barreled AR, according to the state.

Annapolis can be a wonderful place. Congratulations. Try to stay away from Baltimore.

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I am sure your head is spinning with questions from the responses, Welcome to MD...there is some great advice here...just evaluate the information adjust it to your situation then process...If you have relative out of state (you trust) that can store your "Banned" Weapons do so until you can get things in order...I recently moved here and I know I am not moving anywhere else so I adjusted accordingly...

http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision.aspx

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    :party29::party29:Welcome aboard.I have many brothers,at Maryland Shooters .We can, always add another to the group.We have spirited opinions.Lots of good information here.Best wishes to you and your family

2k05gt

Jul 28, 2012
    Any chance when you register a Pre-10/1/13 rifle that they will come and get it in the future? Problem I have is that I bought a Banned Ar 15 from a private citizen, no receipt, we actually traded. so what then, I have zero proof when I bought it.

Anyway I am so so Glad I don't Live in the People Republic of Maryland anymore. I moved 5 files across the river and own what ever I want without fear of the Government deciding they want to get all the Evil Assault weapons off the street..

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    IANAL but I think unless you are involved ina crime, the probability is low.
    The state needs to prove you didn't possess the rifle before 10-1-13, not the other way round.

can you get a hold of the seller for a sales receipt, even if just a trade?

rember if you are not establishing residency, registration is not required

SCDoGo

Dec 6, 2014
    Any chance when you register a Pre-10/1/13 rifle that they will come and get it in the future? Problem I have is that I bought a Banned Ar 15 from a private citizen, no receipt, we actually traded. so what then, I have zero proof when I bought it.

Anyway I am so so Glad I don't Live in the People Republic of Maryland anymore. I moved 5 files across the river and own what ever I want without fear of the Government deciding they want to get all the Evil Assault weapons off the street..

I would expect that if an issue came up of it you could possibly find people willing to swear or sign affidavits stating their knowledge of your ownership prior to the law change. Then again, this is Maryland . . . so normal logic may not apply.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Of course, make SURE the serial number does not track to a manufactur date of AFTER 10/1/13.

Nothing like adding perjury to the charge sheet. :)

cechk01

Oct 2, 2015
    PRMD
    I'm moving to MD soon i know i need to register my hand guns but will i need to register a stripped lower? It will only be built in to either a Hbar, SBR or pistol. It seems that I would only need to register it, if it was already built into a pistol.

FridayGt

Oct 9, 2015
    Good afternoon all. Questions on my move to MD have brought me to this site, but its starting to look like a place to hang around anyway. I'm having a nightmare of a time getting ready to move back to the states. I'm being stationed in MD and am a little saddened to see what the legislation in MD has become.

I've scoured through the MSPD website and read the travesty bill of 2013, but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. This site has been a great read, and this thread has eluded to it as well, but I wondered if someone could point me to some literature on it if they know of any for my edification.

I'm trying to ascertain whether I will be required to register the weapons stipulated in MD as I will be maintaining Texas as my legal state of residence.

Also, I'm trying to find information on whether an AR build on a lower past the grandfather date chambered in 300 AAC Blackout still has to use a heavy HBAR barrel.

My confusion with the second is whether or not its considered a copy with the different barrel.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    1. You only need to resister if establishing residency in MD.
    2. I'd use an HBAR in a 300 BLK build just to be safe. The MSP say a copy has interchangeable parts. They might say if the barrels are interchangeable, it could be considered a copy of an AR15, and therefore banned.. But an HBAR is specifically allowed.

Most 300 BLK barrels are HBAR anyway.

If you bought the AR's after 10-1-13, don't bring them into the state. Possessed before that date, legal.

IANAL

Last edited:

FridayGt

Oct 9, 2015
    1. You only need to resister if establishing residency in MD.
    2. I'd use an HBAR in a 300 BLK build just to be safe. The MSP say a copy has interchangeable parts. They might say if the barrels are interchangeable, it could be considered a copy of an AR15, and therefore banned.. But an HBAR is specifically allowed.

Most 300 BLK barrels are HBAR anyway.

If you bought the AR's after 10-1-13, don't bring them into the state. Possessed before that dae, legal.

IANAL
    Thank you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it. I guess I'm just frustrated with the way these laws are written if that makes sense. On the one hand, I'm a legal resident of the state of Texas and will be for as long as I'm in, but on the other hand I'll be living in the state and will have to register my vehicle there. Also, I've read that MSPD has published that some piston systems are OK because they're not 100% interchangeable, so I wonder how that differs from a barrel and caliber change.

I guess my question is where does Maryland define resident and interchangeable as it pertains to firearms? I just haven't been able to find it. In a tax sense, I will not be a resident, but, I will be living there and storing my weapons there. Also, where is interchangeability defined? I guess I'd think if a piston system made it ok, then changing a barrel from the only options offered by the banned Colts must, but they certainly don't make it clear.

Am I digging too far into this and complicating matters for myself or are these laws just written as poorly as I am frustrated?

The AR will be built after I arrive, so no chance of it being grandfathered.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Piston AR's are not copies soI think MSP says they are ok. But I'd double check that.

Here is the AG opinion on what constitutes a copy.

Since you could swap barrels of a 300 BLK and a 5.56 receiver, that may be construed as interchangeable parts. I'd build an HBAR to be safe.

Yes, the laws are written to infringe on your rights and to be as vague as possible so the state can decide who to prosecute and who not to. Welcome to Marylandistan.

I think MD considers you a resident if you spend 183 days a year here. Someone posted a law from the MD Tax people saying that IIRC. I am pretty sure this does not apply to military folks however.

I'm not am not an attorney so this isn't legal advice.

Attachments

• AG ruling on copies.pdf
      237.7 KB · Views: 340

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom