• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The confusion is with copies, not copycats. As stated copycats are clearly defined in the statute.

MSP says copies must be cosmetically similar and have interchangeable parts.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA

Attachments

• MSI welcome msg.jpg
      MSI welcome msg.jpg
      38.3 KB · Views: 2,096

RoboRay

Oct 16, 2013
    what if a gun was purchased after 10/01/2013. How would anyone know?

Serial number tracing. BATF goes to the manufacturer to find out who it was sold to. They go to that distributor or store and find out who got it next, and when. Eventually, they will get to when it was transferred to you.

Don't do stupid things with severe lifelong repercussions.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    before your register your guns register to vote, and help us in any way remove some of the more insane individuals that come up with the laws and taxes we have to suffer through in MD

Don't forget this part! Register to vote ASAP and help us dump some of those bastards in November!

condor3004

Aug 12, 2014
    Serial number tracing. BATF goes to the manufacturer to find out who it was sold to. They go to that distributor or store and find out who got it next, and when. Eventually, they will get to when it was transferred to you.

Don't do stupid things with severe lifelong repercussions.

Good advise…thank you!

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Can the FFL give you a receipt? or the seller? If you bought ot legally it would not be a huge task to prove it's legal.

IANAL

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It is unlikely you will be caught, unless you announce on a public forum what you did. But if ANYTHING happens that has the police looking at your firearms, they will probably go after you. Especially if you move into the state and do not register them. And registering a banned firearm purchased after Oct 1, 2013, would not be bright.

Two ways it can be proven.

1) If the firearm, based on serial number and manufacturer records, was produced after Oct 1, 2013, it was obviously received after Oct 1, 2013. Only out would be a purchase order prior to Oct 1, 2013.

2) Serial number tracking. They take the serial number, contact the manufacturer, who tells them when and who the firearm was shipped to, then they go there and see what the records show. Eventually, they will end up with it being sold to an individual from an FFL. Then they can track down that person, if not you. If you bought it face to face and don't have a receipt/bill of sale, I hope that the person you bought it from remembers when they sold it to you.

Burden of proof is on the State. However, in the meantime, they will confiscate the firearm, and possibly ALL your firearms. And you will have legal bills and an arrest record.

And even if you win, you may find it a long road to get your firearms back.

And if you lose the case, you will be prohibited from owning firearms.

Is it worth it?

embermage

Sep 20, 2013
    Rising Sun
    Is it worth it?

I would say the hassle no, but then if you asked the Founding Fathers whether or not Concord and Lexington were worth it, what do you think they would say? It is a shame that our freedoms, all of them, not just firearms, hang upon the whim of politicians.

Sep 24, 2014
    Hello all,

First post on MDShooters, and unfortunately I'm also moving to Maryland in about 2 weeks.

I noticed someone on this thread mentioned that one way to get a post October '13 regulated gun into MD would be to fill out a form 1 and SBR it. I have an
    AR Pistol that I just built, and I want to take it with me.

I have friends in Virginia that I could leave the gun with while it's being processed.
    Then after it's approved I can fill out a request to cross state lines and that should work? Or is it a problem for my approved SBR lower to be in someone else's possession in Virginia?

I talked to my go-to FFL about it and he (reluctantly) said to ask around on this forum and get the opinion of the "boots on the ground" so to speak.

Has anyone tried this and had any luck with it?

I'm just wondering whether I should park my gun in Oregon before I move, or whether anyone thinks I can realistically get them approved to be in MD.

Thanks!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    AR pistol can be brought into MD. You will have to register it, along with any other handguns or any long gun that is currently banned.

Then, if you want to make it a rifle, yes, you can SBR it. Or change the barrel to a >16" HBAR profile barrel.

Cyra

Mrs. Glaron
    Feb 4, 2014
    New member moving to the Annapolis area with an existing collection of firearms including AR, AK, M14 and FAL rifles. I'm at a loss with the current set of laws and having trouble finding advice how to proceed legally.

Welcome to Maryland! Hopefully you did find all the answers you needed and did register to vote. Good luck!

PgRefugee

Jan 23, 2015
    Our state has some of the most beautiful public parks I've ever seen. There are a lot of great folks as long you do a lot of research into your area. The gun laws are nuts, but I'm in it to win it. We will change Maryland. Welcome home.

Jan 14, 2015
    North Carolina
    Howdy! Great & very informative thread!

I have a question that I haven't found a concrete answer to (hope I didn't just miss it in the info on this site and MDSP's site):
    - If your primary residence is in another state and you have a house in MD, do you need to register any guns you wish to leave in that house? Otherwise, would you have to take all of your firearms home with you every time you leave?

Most of the pages talk about registration requirements for a "Resident", but I don't know if someone with a summer house is considered a Resident or not.

Thanks for any help you can give to point me in the right direction!

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    one other detail, you cannot sell/transfer etc your banned rifles IN state other than by inheritance. so if you decide to sell any, you must sell them out of state.

as noted, HBAR AR-15's are OK and you don't have to register them and can still be sold face to face if you wanted too. all other forms (non-HBAR) AR-15's are banned as are the AKs and the M14 (ironically unless it's a norinco, the M14 is considered a "copy" of the M1A). Oddly enough, AR-10's not even on the radar here and are good to go. AR-15 pistols OK.

HBARs are a strange entity here in MD. It needs to be both a heavy barrel and be able to enumerate that it is an HBAR, which generally means it is stamped HBAR, or you have a catalog sheet, order form, receipt that says it is an HBAR. They don't want LE having to look at it and decide what is and what isn't so you need some simple documentation on that.

MD gun laws are purely political and have nothing to do with reality...

Welcome to MD and please join MSI and the other very active pro-2A groups here and help us continue to slowly move the marker the other way!

Scarab

Apr 5, 2013
    Carroll County, MD
    My advice is DO NOT MOVE TO MARYLAND. Great state. Horrible one-sided only politics. Unless you are a Democrat you are NOT REPRESENTED AT ALL. You're welcome. I know I'll catch hell for this post but the reality is that even though red counties outnumber blue ones the expert-level gerrymandering gives no other counties outside of PG, Baltimore, Montgomery, and Baltimore City ANY voice at all.

Scarab

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom