• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Patchin1972

Apr 11, 2013
    I finally got my long awaited letter from BATFE yesterday. Unfortunately, it wasn't my stamp for a SBR but a letter returning my application because a "Copy of approved MSP 77R required". I've got 30 days to reply back to the BATFE with the MSP 77R. This would be easy except that I don't have a copy of an approved MSP 77R. The rifle was built from an 80% receiver last summer and I didn't want to voluntarily register the receiver with the state.

The only documentation I have on this rifle is the ATF Form 1 and a notarized gun inventory that I had done last September. Will a letter to the ATF explaining that it was an 80% lower suffice? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a MSP 77R only needed to be completed if a regulated weapon was transfered, not made.

Details:
    SBR
    OAL 29"
    Form 1 Submitted to MSP: 13 Sep 13
    Form 1 Signed by MSP: 18 Sep 13
    Form 1 Returned by MSP: mid-Oct 13
    Form 1 Submitted to ATF: early Nov 13
    Check Cashed: early Dec 13

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD
    Details:
    SBR
    OAL 29.5"

If you had adjusted the highlighted in red, you probably would have been fine!

Patchin1972

Apr 11, 2013
    I was waiting until I got the stamp back until I engraved the receiver. On my notarized inventory, I have no serial number listed but did note what the markings would be after the Form 1 was approved.

I was under the understanding that there were only issues in Maryland if the OAL was less than 29". Did I read that wrong?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    What did you put in for the manufacturer in box 4a? The correct way to tip them off that it came from an 80% is to put "Form 1 registration, United States" in 4a. That's what I've done for the SBR's and suppressors I've made from scratch.

I'd just tell them you made it, include the notarized inventory, maybe a signed and notarized letter that you certify that you made it before Oct 1, and send it all back. Of course since your at 29", it doesn't really matter that you made before Oct 1.

Since you are not less than 29", I'd bet that they will send your Form 1 back approved.

-Jim

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    I finally got my long awaited letter from BATFE yesterday. Unfortunately, it wasn't my stamp for a SBR but a letter returning my application because a "Copy of approved MSP 77R required". I've got 30 days to reply back to the BATFE with the MSP 77R. This would be easy except that I don't have a copy of an approved MSP 77R. The rifle was built from an 80% receiver last summer and I didn't want to voluntarily register the receiver with the state.

The only documentation I have on this rifle is the ATF Form 1 and a notarized gun inventory that I had done last September. Will a letter to the ATF explaining that it was an 80% lower suffice? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a MSP 77R only needed to be completed if a regulated weapon was transfered, not made.

Details:
    SBR
    OAL 29"

What did you put in for the manufacturer in box 4a? The correct way to tip them off that it came from an 80% is to put "Form 1 registration, United States" in 4a. That's what I've done for the SBR's and suppressors I've made from scratch.

I'd just tell them you made it, include the notarized inventory, maybe a signed and notarized letter that you certify that you made it before Oct 1, and send it all back. Of course since your at 29", it doesn't really matter that you made before Oct 1.

Since you are not less than 29", I'd bet that they will send your Form 1 back approved.

-Jim

I was wondering when there would be a thread like this. Especially for those who like to build their own receivers. I too wrote. "Form 1 Registration" and it went without a hitch both times I submitted my Form 1s. Hopefully what Jim is suggesting is the fix for your situation.

Patchin1972

Apr 11, 2013
    I'd submitted my name in block 4a since I was the original manufacturer of the firearm. Hopefully, my explanation that it was an 80% receiver that I finished will get it through the rest of the process.

Thanks for the responses. I'll get the letter back to the BATFE in the next couple days.

Patchin1972

Apr 11, 2013
    I received a call from the ATF examiner, Shawn Cook, today. He had received my letter in response to the request for the MSP Form 77R. Since my OAL was not less than 29" and we were dealing with a pre-1 Oct receiver he said that he should have approved the Form 1 without asking for additional documentation.

Unfortunately, I had either not sent or they had lost my Form 5330.20. He e-mailed me a replacement form. Once I get that back to him, my stamp should be approved within a couple of days.:thumbsup:

Mr. Cook was very helpful and I appreciate that he took the time to call me directly. The 5 minute phone call probably saved a week off the processing time.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    He kicked back my form 4 for the same reason, even though the MSP signoff date was Sept. 12th. Engage sent him the receipt and he then approved it.

sheesh.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    instead of just rolling over and giving it to them when it's not needed, dealers need to start being firm with ATF and telling them WHY it's not necessary (i.e., "the gun isn't less than 29 inches, so 281 is already met"). same as the dog getting a treat every time he looks at you all sad.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom