• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Please join me in contacting the Firearms Industry Programs Branch at fipb@atf.gov or by phone at (202) 648-7190 to convince them to write a similar open letter for Maryland.

Here's my email to the ATF:

I am writing in regard to significant delays currently prevailing in Maryland involving certain firearms purchases and federal background checks. The Maryland State Police's background check process, which normally takes seven days or less, is currently delayed by as much as 80 days or more, effectively hindering legal firearms purchases.

I recently came across a letter from Mr. Chad J. Yoder, the ATF's Chief, Firearms and Explosives Industry Division, to all California Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) dated April 19, 2013 providing clarification on the interaction between federal and California state firearms purchase and background check regulations. The letter states that with respect to federal firearms background checks conducted through the California Department of Justice, "If no response is received from CA DOJ upon the completion of the 10-day waiting period, the FFL may transfer the firearm to the purchaser."

You may know that in the state of Maryland, where I live, federal background checks for certain "regulated" firearms purchases (generally, handguns and certain "assault" rifles) are conducted by the Maryland State Police (MSP). Maryland state law mandates a seven-day waiting period before a FFL may release a regulated firearm to a purchaser. Until recently, the MSP was generally able to complete its background checks, including the federal NICS check, within this waiting period. Because of a flood of firearms purchases in Maryland over the last several months, however, the MSP's background checks are now taking up to 90 days. While state law and federal regulations permit FFLs to release regulated firearms after the state-mandated seven-day waiting period, the MSP informally discourages this practice. Consequently, most Maryland FFLs are unwilling to release purchases of regulated firearms after seven days even though the practice would comply with state and federal regulations. They generally hold regulated firearms purchases until they receive a "not disapproved" notice from the MSP, which, as stated, can take up to three months.

I believe a letter to Maryland FFLs like the one you recently sent to California FFLs would provide sufficient clarification and comfort to Maryland FFLs that they would be able to release regulated firearms after the state-mandated waiting period in conformance with state and federal regulations. I respectfully ask that you send such a clarification to Maryland FFLs.

obnoxious2

Jan 18, 2013
    district 21 - hunger games
    According to this thread http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=120900
    ATF agents may be starting to visit FFLs to advise them on releasing policies.

Now how do we convince the FBI to revoke MSP as the designated POC for NICS. Something like how for every one of our applications, we are wasting their time and resources due to having to run 2 NICS checks from one expiring.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Now how do we convince the FBI to revoke MSP as the designated POC for NICS. Something like how for every one of our applications, we are wasting their time and resources due to having to run 2 NICS checks from one expiring.

Then MD would have to give the money back to the Feds...

*** Most garden vegetables go from seed to food before a regulated firearm purchase is NOT DISAPPROVED in MD ***

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    they may lose it anyway, its being looked at

Good. After all the heartache he caused on April 4, 2013 I don't have one iota of sympathy for him.

Now for this all to backfire on election day 2014...

*** Most garden vegetables go from seed to food before a regulated firearm purchase is NOT DISAPPROVED in MD ***

redhawk_hj

May 29, 2013
    montgomery county
    I just did a transfer at the police barracks in Montgomery county and the person I bought from never heard anything after 7 days and we did the exchange in a parking lot-- not sure if the cop did it right because we both left with the proper paperwork on the first day and never returned to the barracks...

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If people (not naming names) are going to steal my Vegetable Analogies, I want ROYALTIES.

First my 6 Month Prediction is waylayed. And now my Veggies get highjacked. This must end. :)

It will be a sad day when I harvest my Sweet Potatoes and I don't have my XD9. They take 5 months.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Careful... she'll punch you in the kneecaps.

Serious... I've seen it!!!

:D

Sweet potatoes, huh? Mmmmmmmm

(it's ok, I change my signature every day, and it's time anyway!!!)

Attachments

• image-3481222881.jpg
      image-3481222881.jpg
      57.7 KB · Views: 266

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I just did a transfer at the police barracks in Montgomery county and the person I bought from never heard anything after 7 days and we did the exchange in a parking lot-- not sure if the cop did it right because we both left with the proper paperwork on the first day and never returned to the barracks...

I was involved in a transfer at the Jessup barracks recently; after enduring a long wait for the officer to return the paperwork, he informed us that the transfer could be completed on the eighth day, absent a disapproval in the meantime. We do not have to return to the barracks, just sign the form to verify the transfer has been accomplished.

I find it odd that a private transfer between citizens can take place in the 7 day window, yet FFLs are holding onto items for months. It made me feel like I was nearly a citizen.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I was involved in a transfer at the Jessup barracks recently; after enduring a long wait for the officer to return the paperwork, he informed us that the transfer could be completed on the eighth day, absent a disapproval in the meantime. We do not have to return to the barracks, just sign the form to verify the transfer has been accomplished.

I find it odd that a private transfer between citizens can take place in the 7 day window, yet FFLs are holding onto items for months. It made me feel like I was nearly a citizen.

I would assume that most of that has todo with not having a NICS requirement for personal transfers.

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    I would assume that most of that has todo with not having a NICS requirement for personal transfers.

UGH!! There isn't one for dealer transfers either.:sad20:

To clarify, there is a requirement for dealers to initiate the check but they can proceed with the transfer after 3 days if there is no disposition from the NICS.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would assume that most of that has to do with not having a NICS requirement for personal transfers.

Really? I thought he ran the check while we waited . . .and waited . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom