• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Started in California then reflected to the East. We need to be following this if more states/ municipalities begin to jump onboard.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    This will once again ONLY affect law-abiding citizens who are not the problem. It will also ban something that is NOT a problem to begin with. Typical.

Any infringement to gun ownership that they can get enacted "for the children" is good in the progressives playbook because it puts them one step closer to a complete gun ban (for for the people not the rulers) which is their goal. Correction a complete Arms Ban, after the guns the knives are next.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    The lawmakers passing these bills (and Governors signing them into laws) do not care about law-abiding citizens. They do not want the citizenry to have any guns, period. Once you take into consideration, it becomes easy to understand where the problem is. Hint: it's not the guns.

My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    Yeap.

Serial Number 1

Serial Number 1

Serial Number 1

Serial Number 1

Who said they had to be different. :D

I know law makers pass laws all of the time that are not constitutional and will ultimately be adjudicated in court-- but what do you think about the constitutionality of a law that would ban home built firearms or require you to apply serial numbers to them built before the date of a new law?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I know law makers pass laws all of the time that are not constitutional and will ultimately be adjudicated in court-- but what do you think about the constitutionality of a law that would ban home built firearms or require you to apply serial numbers to them built before the date of a new law?

Realistically, even an outright ban on homebuilt firearms wouldn't likely be found unconstitutional. A requirement for serial #s, or licensing of home builders, even less likely to be overturned.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Realistically, even an outright ban on homebuilt firearms wouldn't likely be found unconstitutional. A requirement for serial #s, or licensing of home builders, even less likely to be overturned.

Except for that pesky little word in the second amendment:

Infringe: 1) to actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.); 2) act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on

I'd say that banning or otherwise regulating both fall squarely under definition #2, wouldn't you? A ban is a limit, and regulation is encroaching.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Except for that pesky little word in the second amendment:

Infringe: 1) to actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.); 2) act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on

I'd say that banning or otherwise regulating both fall squarely under definition #2, wouldn't you? A ban is a limit, and regulation is encroaching.

Even Justice Scalia wrote that some limits were acceptable in the Heller decisions. Whether you or I agree on what the 2A means doesn't affect whether we can be prosecuted for doing something that SCOTUS considers a "reasonable" limitation.

If it was up to me, a citizen would be allowed to collect any bearable firearm, unless he/she shows definite intent to harm others (including through gross negligence) or gets convicted of a crime. But I'm not on SCOTUS, so my opinion is just my opinion, and isn't a viable defense in court.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Via Heller
    2. Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, con-cealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment
    or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of fire-arms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms. Miller’s holding that the sorts of weapons protected are those “in common use at the time” finds support in the historical tradition of prohibiting the carrying of dangerous and unusual weapons.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I did not realize Heller reaffirmed Miller. I need to go back and reread Heller.
    Miller was wrong anyway. The gun Miller had was in common use. Since Miller was not represented, there was only one side of the story told.
    The sentence also specifies, commercial sale....

Last edited:

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    who says it has to be numbers? How about BLOWME

The BATFE. There's actually regulations and guidelines on serial numbers for firearms. I believe it's 27 CFR § 478.92 otherwise it's pretty obvious a ghost gun and not 'hidden' very well from those wanting to take them away from you.

Constitutional or not, right or wrong doesn't matter. Laws will and are being made and enforced. Some guys I know will put used Glock slides on some of their home-built guns since there's serial numbers on them. Just a risk reduction thing.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    It's selfish, but what bothers me the most is that these laws are likely to be worded in such a way as to cover home-built muzzle-loading firearms. Remember, we're talking about legislators who have no idea whatsoever about what they are making criminal law about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom