• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Hello,

I thought I was post my question here to keep from creating duplicated threads.

I'm a VA resident moving to PG county in Maryland, I don't have much choice in the matter so here I am. I have a number of rifles including 2 short barreled rifles(PS-90 and a Sig 551-A1), an AR I built, M1 carbine(original WWII configuration),2 M1 Grands and 2 silencers. I also have a number of bolt action rifles from the early 1900's and some modern hand guns.

Everything was purchased in VA prior to the Oct 2013 MD firearms law.

It is my understanding that I have 90 days from when I establish residency to register the Sig, the AR and the PS-90 with the state police. The ATF paper work is already dealt with. Can those of you with experience with this process tell me what to expect and if I should watch out for anything specific.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Have you checked the crime rate in PG County, lately. If you have all those arms, and you want to keep them, you had BETTER get the best gun safe you can buy and bolt it to the wall and floor, preferably in a basement or somewhere out of sight and DO NOT ADVERTISE THAT YOU HAVE THEM, AT ALL , EVEN TO YOUR "FRIENDS". Just remember, Loose Lips Sink Ships!

A word to the wise? I know, I live in Marylandslovakia.

Nomad

Feb 16, 2017
    I have to echo; 1st dont move here! 2nd Dont move here. 3rd Dont even visit here. Forget you ever considered coming here. I came because after being in the same Seperate Operating Agency for over 20 years I had to do the HQ block for career purposes. We got stuck here and having worked all over the US and overseas, the only worse place I've worked in was Detroit.

ClydeD

Sep 19, 2018
    Hi guys, I recently moved back to MD (new address) and am unsure of what I need to do about my rifle.

I originally purchased a Colt 6721 AR-15 (MD compliant HBAR) in MD during 2016. I took it with me when moving to WV last Fall, but have now returned to MD.

Does the fact that the firearm was originally purchased in MD change anything about the rules for registering guns brought in from out of state? Do I just need to update the address I gave when purchasing it somehow?

Thanks for any input.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's MD compliant, no need to do a thing.

Our collective condolences regarding your return to the state of the damned.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    There is no requirement to register any long gun. If it was formerly regulated (as in non-HBAR) it is now banned and you can't bring it into (or back into) the state.

If the (now banned) rifle was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013, it most certainly can be brought into the state. And yes, it has to be registered.

As for ClydeD - Nope, your rifle was cash and carry back in 2016 and it is cash and carry today, so no need at all to tell MSP anything.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If the (now banned) rifle was purchased prior to Oct 1, 2013, it most certainly can be brought into the state. And yes, it has to be registered.

As for ClydeD - Nope, your rifle was cash and carry back in 2016 and it is cash and carry today, so no need at all to tell MSP anything.

Tell em' NUTTIN!

ClydeD

Sep 19, 2018
    Awesome, thanks guys. Now I just need to get my AGC badge renewed and get some range time in while the weather's nice :thumbsup:

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Hi guys, I recently moved back to MD (new address) and am unsure of what I need to do about my rifle.

I originally purchased a Colt 6721 AR-15 (MD compliant HBAR) in MD during 2016. I took it with me when moving to WV last Fall, but have now returned to MD.

Does the fact that the firearm was originally purchased in MD change anything about the rules for registering guns brought in from out of state? Do I just need to update the address I gave when purchasing it somehow?

Thanks for any input.

You bought it in Marylinistan and you live in Marylinistan.....no action needed!

Jarvis

Oct 16, 2018
    First time poster, possibly moving to Maryland from Virginia, sorry to beat a dead horse. So according to the post quoted, If I have a centerfire rifle that is 34in long (39in with stock extended), has a flash suppressor (only one evil feature) and has a detachable magazine, am I good to go?

I have an ARMALITE SPR MOD 1, I bought it used around the time of prohibition and cant prove when I bought it as I have no receipts. I believe it has an 18in barrel after measuring it, if that affects anything.

Thanks!

No, the confusion is people use the word "copycat" when they mean "copy or imitation."

The law clearly uses the words differently.

What is the confusion? People who cannot read?

Is it a centerfire semi-auto? If NO, NOT a copycat. If YES and a Rifle continue. If a Shotgun, skip to Shotgun below.
    Is it longer than 29"? If NO, it is banned. If YES, continue.
    Does it have two or more of the "evil features" (folding stock, flash suppressor, grenade launcher)? If YES, it is banned, if NO continue.
    Does it have a non-detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds capacity? If YES, it is banned, if NO, not banned.

Shotgun

Does it have a folding stock? If YES, banned, if NO, continue.
    Does it have a revolving cylinder? If YES, banned, if NO, not banned.

There is also some confusion because people cannot take time to read the actual LAW. The original bills had other features (telescoping stock, forward pistol grip, thumbhole stock, etc). But the LAW has none of these.

A PTR-91 is not banned because it is a "copycat" it is banned because it is a "copy or imitation."

And yes, a firearm can be both, but if it is a "copy or imitation" of an item on the banned list, it doesn't matter if it is also a "copycat."

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    First time poster, possibly moving to Maryland from Virginia, sorry to beat a dead horse. So according to the post quoted, If I have a centerfire rifle that is 34in long (39in with stock extended), has a flash suppressor (only one evil feature) and has a detachable magazine, am I good to go?

I have an ARMALITE SPR MOD 1, I bought it used around the time of prohibition and cant prove when I bought it as I have no receipts. I believe it has an 18in barrel after measuring it, if that affects anything.

Thanks!

You are fine, and the length of the barrel does not come into play unless it is less than 16", then you have to deal with BATFE and SBR paperwork.

Jarvis

Oct 16, 2018
    You are fine, and the length of the barrel does not come into play unless it is less than 16", then you have to deal with BATFE and SBR paperwork.

Thanks for the reply. I was told by a MD gun shop that my rifle needed to have a heavy barrel to be compliant, is this true? I am not positive on the type of barrel, its about .75in diameter but no HBAR markings that I can see.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for the reply. I was told by a MD gun shop that my rifle needed to have a heavy barrel to be compliant, is this true? I am not positive on the type of barrel, its about .75in diameter but no HBAR markings that I can see.

No such requirement for an AR pistol

Nov 4, 2018
    Stupid question, but how do you prove your ak/ar was bought before 2013? I'm moving from Texas, so there's no registration. I have a wasr10, I love it. I'm fixin to give away this AK, but would like to keep it if I can

I've also got a pretty good "Frankenstein" AR, with an aero lower. I read here that I can bring in the AR lower(register it), and buy/throw on an HBAR compatible upper in MD? If this is the case, what are some good HBAR uppers that are MD legal, is there anything like Colt available? I heard I can also bring in my 30 round magazines

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Andre

Latest threads

Top Bottom