• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    So while I don't have a W&C (thanks MD), I had the opportunity to view one recently. One of the restrictions read something like "Not valid where firearms are prohibited." But I note it didn't say "by law".

I'm guessing this is on purpose to create ambiguity? Would then local mere "policy" then have the force of law invalidating a W&C?

Just curious... Have been considering applying (if I can meet the G&S hoops), but this seems an important question as to the usefulness. Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find it. (And yes I know 'concealed is concealed'... but more interested in the legality not practicality - risk avoider here.)

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I'm fairly confident that all restrictions now state "by law" at the end after a lot of work by some people.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Completely agree. However in this case without the "by law" added to the restriction, one could be concerned that mere policy is given the force of law.
    And EXACTLY why we worked so hard to have "By Law" added. Prior to this, a "No Firearm" sign could put you at risk.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    But even if a a sign is not law, ignoring a request to leave private property could result in a trespass charge.

Just to be clear.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    What MXrider is pointing out is that in MD a sign has no force of law so simply carrying in a posted establishment is not a law violation so you have not broken the law.

Not leaving when asked can get you a trespass charge, which is a violation of law.

He was pointing out the reason for the wording change .

Deep Thought

Jan 27, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    But even if a a sign is not law, ignoring a request to leave private property could result in a trespass charge.

Just to be clear.

Ignoring a direct request, or perhaps missing a discrete sign? Could one catch a trespassing charge for legally carrying in such a 'policy forbidden' location?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    If you are asked to leave private property for any reason and don’t comply, you COULD be charged with trespassing.

Sign or no signs

mxrider

Former MSI Treasurer
    Aug 20, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Ignoring a direct request, or perhaps missing a discrete sign? Could one catch a trespassing charge for legally carrying in such a 'policy forbidden' location?
    From my understanding (IANAL), a trespass charge cannot be given until you have been asked to leave and you refuse to.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    My understanding as well. So ignoring the sign is not in and of itself a law violation.

Not leaving when requested to IS

IANAL either

Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    My permit says "by law" and I agree with the others, simply disobeying a sign shouldn't constitute a trespassing charge, but refusing to leave after being asked/told to leave can and probably should result in a trespassing charge, especially if it's private property.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Skarface

Latest threads

Top Bottom